FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628265 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4335 on: Nov 04, 2023, 08:59 PM »
You know what you should! You enjoy fly fishing. Don’t get caught up in “what system should I use”. I’ve fly fished for many years. Never looked to catch a trout with any system. Never really looked to catch a trout at all for that matter.

Too many other fish out there to play.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4336 on: Nov 05, 2023, 06:25 AM »
If I had your carp local Rg Id probably feel the same way.

Bartman44

« Reply #4337 on: Nov 08, 2023, 09:36 AM »
Looks like my Perdigon post sparked a lively discussion. It's all good, I love fly fishing for anything that swims, in part, because of its simplicity in a world gone mad with technology. Sure, there have been some improvements to fly gear along the way, but I can still just grab my flies and rod and not have to worry about much breaking down, good for the brain. The other reason I like it is fly tying. Started to tie when I was 14 and have spent countless hours at the bench on cold winter nights spinning creations that catch fish. Win, win.   

Anyway, I watched a video posted from some guy in Europe on Perdigons and he would say that my attempts were too bulky and bumpy. I'll let the fish decide. I've been playing with the jig hooks a bit and tied a few more patterns including the "Blowtorch." Time to get out there and use these things.

oatkasut

« Reply #4338 on: Nov 08, 2023, 10:34 AM »
Those sould be killers for pond fish,crappie, perch and gills!And trout too!

lowaccord66

« Reply #4339 on: Nov 08, 2023, 11:08 AM »
It did Bart and agree the simplicity of throwing on waders and walking miles of river is part of the charm.

Those flies would rip it up in the farmington and housy.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4340 on: Nov 08, 2023, 01:15 PM »
Getting lost doing anything is good for the soul. I feel it on the stream, bank, the fly bench, the gardens, the wood shop, cooking………anywhere I can immerse myself in something other than necessity.

Anyway, what did you use for the hackle?
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

westernmas

« Reply #4341 on: Nov 08, 2023, 02:08 PM »
Anyway, I watched a video posted from some guy in Europe on Perdigons and he would say that my attempts were too bulky and bumpy. I'll let the fish decide. I've been playing with the jig hooks a bit and tied a few more patterns including the "Blowtorch." Time to get out there and use these things. 

Looks good Bartman.  In my limited experience, Perdigon flies typically do not have any hackle.  It is usually simply small tail feathers, a body built up and tapered with thread, flash or turkey biots and then covered in UV resin.  The UV resin will give the fly the smooth finish the Euro guys typically have.  IMO it helps the fly sink like a rock. 

What you tied looks more like a orange peeping caddis.  I think this would be a perfect imitation for the October caddis nymph where if you switched to more of a yellow or green it would represent the typical peeping caddis you'd find the rest of the year.  Either way nice work!
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Bartman44

« Reply #4342 on: Nov 08, 2023, 06:34 PM »
Getting lost doing anything is good for the soul. I feel it on the stream, bank, the fly bench, the gardens, the wood shop, cooking………anywhere I can immerse myself in something other than necessity.

Anyway, what did you use for the hackle?

Couldn't agree more. The material is duck butt (CDC). A very buoyant and versatile feather, I tie some dry fly patterns with it as well.   

Bartman44

« Reply #4343 on: Nov 08, 2023, 06:40 PM »
Looks good Bartman.  In my limited experience, Perdigon flies typically do not have any hackle.  It is usually simply small tail feathers, a body built up and tapered with thread, flash or turkey biots and then covered in UV resin.  The UV resin will give the fly the smooth finish the Euro guys typically have.  IMO it helps the fly sink like a rock. 

What you tied looks more like a orange peeping caddis.  I think this would be a perfect imitation for the October caddis nymph where if you switched to more of a yellow or green it would represent the typical peeping caddis you'd find the rest of the year.  Either way nice work!

Agree, the photos of my attempts at a Perdigon are a few pages of posts back. I'm also playing with some other patterns like the one above with jig hooks (not a Perdigon).  Anyway, I have one of those tied to my fly rod, my doctor gave me the green light to resume my adventurous ways, so I'm going to try to get out tomorrow if the weather/roads cooperate. Supposed to get some mush and freezing rain overnight.   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4344 on: Nov 09, 2023, 03:06 AM »
Couldn't agree more. The material is duck butt (CDC). A very buoyant and versatile feather, I tie some dry fly patterns with it as well.

I have  a bunch o CDC. (Should have recognized it)  I’ll have time at the bench after I get my Christmas projects completed and my center pin reel built.

Bartman44

« Reply #4345 on: Nov 15, 2023, 09:34 AM »
I thought you would. They come in puffs and also the big webby stuff that I used for the hackle on those.

Been tying up some parachutes for next summer, these in a 2x hook.

gotagetm

« Reply #4346 on: Nov 15, 2023, 05:00 PM »
Lol I couldn't even begin to tie something that small
Ben

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4347 on: Nov 15, 2023, 08:17 PM »
Maybe with new glasses Ben👍

gotagetm

« Reply #4348 on: Nov 16, 2023, 05:17 AM »
Lol na bob I have new ones just hard for me to work with Hooks that small..and honestly I don't fish for anything I need a fly that small ..just not a trout guy especially those wee little Brookies ...I'm not a stealth guy
.more like the bull in a China shop hahaha

Bartman44

« Reply #4349 on: Nov 17, 2023, 06:48 AM »
Lol I couldn't even begin to tie something that small
Ben

LOL. If it weren't for the giant magnifying glass in front of my vise, I wouldn't be able to tie anything either. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.