FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First open water fish of the season  (Read 2211 times)

fishuhalik

• The few, the proud, Team MN!!
First open water fish of the season
« on: Apr 20, 2007, 02:54 PM »
The carp are starting on the 'sippi!  Me and another guy got 9 today b/t 4 and 15 lbs, what a hoot!  I don't have any pics this time, I'll make sure to share some next time we're out.  Just something to keep me occupied b/f opener.  I love pannies through the ice but they just don't get me too excited during open water. 
Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off

crappiekeith

Re: First open water fish of the season
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2007, 09:40 AM »
I hear ya.Sure is nice getting out in the boat.
So last night I get to the spot and as usual for the 7th straight year everything plays out like normal.
I did talk to a local that said the ice went out on tues. so now it's fri.
& the fish are in.
Just like always I could not find them anywhere ,but where the turtles hang out.
We had been work some deeper water & all of a sudden some pike chases a school of crappie across the surface of the water right next to the shore.
Dude I exclaimed,did you see those crappie backs.Ya he said.Pull anchor I ordered and we slid in to them.
It was getting late ,but as the years have shown me I'll get a few & a few I did.
Rolled a couple too,Rick did as well but he caught that pike up there.

So it rained last night & is right now ,but it should taper off.
This is good for the water level plus it will help that water warm up.
Shoot there was still ice on the main lake floating around & piled up on the shore.
As we decided to leave & hit the mouth of the creek I nailed a nice bass that spun my skiff around. Too fun & you should have seen the creek boiling with fish migrating through.
I get freakin excited when I see this movement.
We had to push fish outta the way to get through the dang thing.
I'm not kidding when I say the whole creek was boiling with fish.
It was also loaded with minnows so those fish must follow them in to the other side.
I've seen this 3 years in a row on the 3rd day after ice out right at dusk.
It's like clockwork almost.
I'll be going back in today around 2 bells and this time we will hook up on several fish.
By this time next weekend it'll be one of those 500 fish outttings between 2 guys.
Now where's my advil?
I'm not kidding when I say you can get a sore elbow from the fighting!
This is just the begging with a thousand fish to catch before walleye openers!
Oh,T.H.E. Jig ROCKS!

Hoggie saw this yesterday with guys pulling up and getting one here and there while he was smokin the fish 1 after another.
He has had 2 weeks of open water & the water is warmer so the fish are a tad more agressive.
I'm just getting into open water & the temp is 40 degree water.
Most guys for this 1st week will have a tough time catching 10 while Rick & I will be in constant doubles!

It's all about downsizing for these next 3 weeks.Once that water hits 55-65 you can go bigger ,but not now.
I'll be back with pictures and video from this weekend to show you what I'm talking about.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2007, 07:59 PM »
sounds like a good time, I havnt had them feeding in my area yet but anxiously waiting for them to.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

crappiekeith

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Here's a sample of what I had posted.....

They are mostly
all males....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.