FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56457 times)

fishgalore

This thread is for those who would like to continue any dialogue on the topic noted above. The purpose of which is merely to learn, share and educate one another on how to better to understand the species O Mykiss:which includes the Skamanian & Washington strains of Steelhead and Domestic Rainbow Trout.

I'm also starting it so that the Oswego report thread can be used for the purpose for which it was started and not see it get clogged up with this discussion.

Additionally, I would like to recommend the book An Entirely Synthetic Fish written by Anders Halverson concerning the subject of how Rainbow Trout beguiled America and overran the world. Here is a link to his website for anyone interested in his book:- http://syntheticfish.com/

Like me, you'll have to read the book to find out what that means exactly, but he covers much of the history and origins of the species from what I have gathered from some reviews and excerpts.

Dark Cloud

Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Im "the glass is full" kinda guy but I see bad things in the forecast for this one...

Just trying to lighten things up a bit...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Thats hilarious, Dark Cloud.  Mission accomplished.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

fishgalore

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:34 PM »
great  thread  fishglore   and  i  have  your   first  guestion  ....  i  notice  you  have  a Pequest river  rainbow      my  guestion  is    this  ,  do  you  know  if   just   rainbows    are  stocked  there  or   a  steelhead  strain  too  ????(i  ask  for  a  reason  and  your  picture  has  nothing  to  do  with  it)

I guess I have some research to do since I'm not certain. The Pequest hatchery is right near the spot where I caught that female in December of '09 in a light snow storm. I'll go on the NJDEP site and see what I can find. My guess though would be a Rainbow and not Steelhead.

fishgalore

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Im "the glass is full" kinda guy but I see bad things in the forecast for this one...

Just trying to lighten things up a bit...

Maybe you'll see that I'm a slow learner...............I hope that participants on this thread would contribute their findings on the subject, whatever that may be. The hope is that your here because you want to engage on the subject. All hijacking is prohibited............LOL only kidding. I'm no moderator and I don't own this thread so have fun boys. 

fisher7450

• If theres a fish in the water I'll fish it
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:47 PM »
so which one is trying to jump the dam in oswego in june  ???
A Great Fishermen doesn't need the best equipment.
A Great Fishermen makes the best of what they have.

fishgalore

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:56 PM »
great  thread  fishglore   and  i  have  your   first  guestion  ....  i  notice  you  have  a Pequest river  rainbow      my  guestion  is    this  ,  do  you  know  if   just   rainbows    are  stocked  there  or   a  steelhead  strain  too  ????(i  ask  for  a  reason  and  your  picture  has  nothing  to  do  with  it)

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/peqsum11.htm  3 types are stocked. Rainbows, Brook & Browns. No Strain is noted.

esox v

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2011, 09:34 PM »

i  have  seen  this    alot   of  places   ....  this  is  why  i  have  come  to  the  conclusion   coloration  and   body  shape   are  not  a  effective  way   of    knowing   what  kind  of  fish  you  are  dealing  with  .

Well.... without testing their DNA ... what else to you have ? 
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

pike46

• looking for my 30 pounder
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2011, 09:35 PM »
I'm a Pike Fisherman. And have done lots of trout fishing through the catskills for years.....have fished salmon river handful of times got a couple big steelhead. So dumb question for the pros...if you stocked regular stream rainbows and browns into Ontario, would they grow to steelhead proportions?

esox v

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2011, 09:38 PM »
http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/bc/ahp/BioInfo/GP/Definition.html

the outward physical manifestation of
internally coded, inheritable, information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two parts to this definition ...
PHENOTYPE
This is the "outward, physical manifestation" of the organism. These are the physical parts, the sum of the atoms, molecules, macromolecules, cells, structures, metabolism, energy utilization, tissues, organs, reflexes and behaviors; anything that is part of the observable structure, function or behavior of a living organism.

GENOTYPE

This is the "internally coded, inheritable information" carried by all living organisms. This stored information is used as a "blueprint" or set of instructions for building and maintaining a living creature. These instructions are found within almost all cells (the "internal" part), they are written in a coded language (the genetic code), they are copied at the time of cell division or reproduction and are passed from one generation to the next ("inheritable"). These instructions are intimately involved with all aspects of the life of a cell or an organism. They control everything from the formation of protein macromolecules, to the regulation of metabolism and synthesis.

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2011, 09:40 PM »
I'm a Pike Fisherman. And have done lots of trout fishing through the catskills for years.....have fished salmon river handful of times got a couple big steelhead. So dumb question for the pros...if you stocked regular stream rainbows and browns into Ontario, would they grow to steelhead proportions?
YES ... Domestic rainbows are basicly the same as trout stocked in streams

pike46

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Thanks Esox. that makes sense . The esopus holds the occasional 10-15 lb bow, that run out of the ashokan. I fish SAcandaga lake..A pike, walleye, bass fishery. Then they began to stock bows and browns. They are now in the 4-6 lb range..and run in the creeks....I suppose if the lake was deeper and cooler they would run larger

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2011, 10:29 PM »
For the folks who are having an issue reading. we'll go to pictures again.
What is this?

Domestic Rainbow.. Say it Class D-O-M-E-S-T-I-C  R-A-I-N-B-O-W.. Very Good Class!

What is this? Well??

Its A Steelhead.. VERY GOOD Now Say it S-T-E-E-L-H-E-A-D.. Very good!!

Again ok

DOMESTIC RAINBOW!

DOMSETIC RAINBOW!

DOMESTIC RAINBOW!

DOMESTIC RAINBOW!

STEELHEAD!

STEELHEAD!

STEELHEAD!

Class dissmissed!
you need More OK!!
STEELHEAD!

STEELHEAD!

OK GOING BACK TO THE DOMESTIC RAINBOWS, DON'T BLINK!

END OF STORY!
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

pike46

« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2011, 10:36 PM »
I caught a 14lb domestic rainbow/steelhead. 

pike46

« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Domestic trout, steelhead are the exact same species.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.