FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Resi updates  (Read 6260 times)

bigr

Resi updates
« on: Mar 21, 2023, 12:13 PM »
 A trip around resi's yesterday tells me it's time to really start working them over. All three upper resi's are clearing nicely with the upper portions getting very fishable. All three are at winter pool and discharge is way down. Fish will settle into the usual locations and really get serious about the spring feed up to spawn. The bright warmer days will warm the backs of the coves first and fish will move shallow as well as move up the river for the annual run.  Fish size on both sally and missy is above avg with lots of fat 12 and 13's to be caught. Crappie aren't the only fish to chase in the resi's. Cats are gorging themselves right now and are easy catches using cut bait or any other of your favorites. From what i'm seeing gils shouldn't be overlooked as well as walleye and even perch. You have to target those species but they seem to be a good population coming on. I've been seeing good size perch from the sally and even caught my first ever from the wabash while fishing for crappie. If we get rain just plain on working waters up river further. The warmer and higher water drives them. Normally the corp starts the slow rise back to summer levels in early april with summer pool being reached by mid may. Dora on the sally and red bridge on missy are the only two ready for business until levels rise. Good luck and watch for reports.

LundProv

Re: Resi updates
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2023, 08:36 PM »
Thanks for that update bigr... How many years have you been enjoying these reservoirs?  You seem to have a good handle on the patterns that are presented and I wish I lived a bit closer.  The fishing on Lake Michigan and soon on the local lakes makes it difficult to travel too far.  Please keep sharing the good news with us.

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2023, 04:45 AM »
Thanks for that update bigr... How many years have you been enjoying these reservoirs?  You seem to have a good handle on the patterns that are presented and I wish I lived a bit closer.  The fishing on Lake Michigan and soon on the local lakes makes it difficult to travel too far.  Please keep sharing the good news with us.
Nearly sixty years. Pretty much same pattern and time for the peak bits as long ago. Areas have changed due to filling in caused by erosion.

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2023, 04:47 AM »
Nearly sixty years. Pretty much same pattern and time for the peak bits as long ago. Areas have changed due to filling in caused by erosion. Bite was pretty good yesterday on both resi's. If we get alot of rain the bite will move to different locations.

bherr24

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2023, 08:26 AM »
Took a quick trip over to Missy yesterday evening after work. Fished just down from red bridge area. I caught one little bass and one small crappie. My buddy caught 5 crappie with only one being decent size. Been a tough stretch for me on the missy, i havent caught a good mess there since last May. Hoping some warmer weather will help things. Im off all next week but supposedly lots of rain coming. Just as it was starting to clear up too.

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2023, 08:34 AM »
Took a quick trip over to Missy yesterday evening after work. Fished just down from red bridge area. I caught one little bass and one small crappie. My buddy caught 5 crappie with only one being decent size. Been a tough stretch for me on the missy, i havent caught a good mess there since last May. Hoping some warmer weather will help things. Im off all next week but supposedly lots of rain coming. Just as it was starting to clear up too.
I hope i can help you find some fish. watch for my post. I fished the northside across from red bridge up against the cliff. Five foot deep blk/chat tubes.

bherr24

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2023, 09:14 PM »
Big R i was on north side as well to the west of red bridge where the dead end road is. Usually do real well this time of year off the cliffs but slow yesterday. I have struggled this year to get on the fish. Caught a few over the winter but not like years past.

techja

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2023, 06:32 PM »
Caught a couple nice (26 & 27 inch) channel catfish using cut bait today at Red Bridge.

Jig_Head

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2023, 02:17 PM »
Caught a couple nice (26 & 27 inch) channel catfish using cut bait today at Red Bridge.
Nice!! Take any pictures?

techja

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2023, 04:21 PM »
Sorry, no pictures. I posted the message as a follow up to Big R’s post about it being time for the catfish to be biting even if the water was muddy. Just wanted to notify the group they were biting at the Mississinewa Reservoir.

Jig_Head

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2023, 07:31 PM »
Ahh dang. I remember it, I was/am very interested in it. Thanks for the update

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2023, 08:46 AM »
After checking corp site for updates on water levels and discharge i suggest searching the upstream river portions starting around the hyw a3 bridge all the way to the area we call the flats on the Missy. On the sally look for fish starting in the mt etna boat lunch area upstream or downstream for 1/2 mile or so. Work the slack areas and current breaks. Lets hope rain holds off. Water is clearing nicely up in these parts or the resi system. Good luck. I'll be out somewhere in the morning. Not decided where yet.

bherr24

« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2023, 10:38 AM »
Fished missy yesterday off the cliff walls near red bridge area. Water was straight chocolate. To my surprise i did find a few fish early before it died off. Caught 5 or 6 mostly small. Stopped at spillway on way home and caught another handful or so. Still pretty slow. I noticed the outflow was dropped quite a bit last several days with lake being 11 feet or more above pool. Is this the starting point of the fill up? If so my favorite hole upriver may be in jeopardy this year. Level is almost perfect for it right now but not sure its been warm enough to move fish yet.

bherr24

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2023, 06:32 PM »
Tried east of 13 bridge this evening. Water level and color was good for the spot i was at. Not a bite.

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2023, 05:28 AM »
I fished several spots upstream also with no luck either. Just been to cold to bring them up. This weeks warmer temps should really help out and yes they have started the hold back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.