FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cats on the fly rod  (Read 2617 times)

2LMKR2

Cats on the fly rod
« on: May 14, 2022, 02:19 PM »
Finally made it out for a while this morning, was looking for bass and pike with the fly rod. Only found a few small bass and no pike but was surprised by two nice channel cats, 25” and 26”. Both put up harder fights and longer runs than any bass and most pike!
Gave up looking for big fish and went to a light fly rod and found a few nice 9” - 10” redears.
Was a Great morning to be out!

rivereddy

Re: Cats on the fly rod
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 03:57 PM »
Nice fish.  I'll bet those cats gave a good account on that flyrod.  What weight rod? Fly?
Looks like I've got some homework...

fish on, rivereddy

BBLoon

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 04:10 PM »
That sounds like great fun!!

Bartman44

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 06:07 PM »
Nice going, I never caught a cat on the fly. 

2LMKR2

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 08:28 PM »
Nice fish.  I'll bet those cats gave a good account on that flyrod.  What weight rod? Fly?
Looks like I've got some homework...

fish on, rivereddy

Thanks, I was using a 10wt rod and had just downsized to a 4” streamer pattern, about 3'- 4' down in 5' of water

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 06:41 AM »
Great job with the fly rod! Really nice fish.
I have been tying up a storm of late. Never heard of the Mop Fly until a month ago? Don't know where I've been? Have read a couple of articles how the trout chasers turn their nose up at it. And the big controversy whether or not it is a true fly worthy of trout! Then the guy won a couple of major trout tournaments with it out east!! My fly fishing nephews in North Carolina tell me they do catch fish. I'm tying them up for bluegill and bass.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

bogtrotter

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 08:45 AM »
From the title of your post, at first I thought it was going to be an update of the old Steve Martin "cat juggling" skit. ;D

2LMKR2

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 06:03 PM »
Went back out today, again not a lot of action, was slow working a 7” pike fly, got a good hard hit, a loooong hard run, and a few more hard runs, was sure I had a good pike! A few minutes later ….. Nope …. another channel cat 29” long. Not what I was looking for but every bit as much fun!

2LMKR2

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 06:06 PM »
Great job with the fly rod! Really nice fish.
I have been tying up a storm of late. Never heard of the Mop Fly until a month ago? Don't know where I've been? Have read a couple of articles how the trout chasers turn their nose up at it. And the big controversy whether or not it is a true fly worthy of trout! Then the guy won a couple of major trout tournaments with it out east!! My fly fishing nephews in North Carolina tell me they do catch fish. I'm tying them up for bluegill and bass.
Teach

Lol, Guess I've been a little out of touch, never heard of the mop fly! Been researching it this evening, looks like a great little fly, maybe even for ice fishing, and so easy to tie. Now I'm going to be busy tying some new flies. Where are you getting the material? Are you using the microfiber mops or getting it from fly tying supply shops, I see hareline has quite a variety of it.

bigr

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 08:48 AM »
Fun catch and good eating if you like cats which i do.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 09:04 AM »
I bought a hand dust mop at Dollar Store for a $1.89, blue. Probably a couple hundred on it. A Yellow one at Walmart in broom section and a grey one in auto section for a couple bucks. Tied them on # 10, #8, #6. They are about 1 1/4 " long
Have to cut them down quite a bit for ice fishing? I've tried sticking hook through material as well as thread wrapping the hook and super glued the hook. Pull off material to get to 4 strands of thread. Noticed on tying videos they just secure mop material just at the end and let rest loose. They say when it gets wet it wiggles back and forth. Buying kit material from fly tying companies probably just as easy as running all over looking for stuff !?
Teach

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 09:16 AM »

Some I’ve tied up
Teach

BBLoon

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 09:39 AM »

Some I’ve tied up
Teach

Those look really nice! The fish should agree.👏

2LMKR2

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 06:40 PM »

Some I’ve tied up
Teach

Thanks for all of the information, and the picture, WOW those look great!
I ordered some of the material from a fly tying shop and will be keeping my eyes open for it when I'm in stores now.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 08:03 AM »
Thanks! 2LMKR2 Let me know how they turn out.
 I'm back at the bench! :D Sent photo to my nephews in Charlotte, NC and asked them if they'd like a few? They said, "Yes, Please!" So I bought nice little divided plastic boxes at Walmart, about 3"x 5" for $1.00 and put 25 in each box and put boxes in bubble wrap envelopes and shipped them out. $4.85 each. The next batch is mine! :laugh:
Teach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.