FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Deep fryer  (Read 4672 times)

grumpymoe

Re: Deep fryer
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2006, 01:44 PM »
weird looking bologna lmao...Grump  ;D

archbishop

« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2006, 01:50 PM »

its bologna soaked in egg nog :laugh:

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2006, 01:50 PM »
a deep cast iron pan with a lid :tipup:
cant beat cast iron outside :tipup:
ME TOO!
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

hunters08

« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2006, 11:17 PM »
d**n grump looks like your cook'n attracted a crowd of ice fisherman(must a been 5000 people)
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

Grimace

« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2006, 08:59 AM »

Good ole newfie steak ;D ;D ;D ;D

killitandgrillit

« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2006, 04:49 PM »
I have a GE with "cool zone"....got it from walmart for 60 bucks. I use it outside in the winter all the time with no issues. Very effecient if your cooking alot of fish.
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I use my turkey fryer with a smaller pot.  It works great.  If I'm cooking for our annual fish fry I use the big turkey pot. 

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2006, 09:00 PM »
I have always used a white gas Coleman stove with a cast iron pan to cook fish. It seems that the white gas stove produces more heat than propane, and the heavy cast iron helps retain it better. This is especially true on the ice, I have had trouble getting the oil hot enough and keeping it that way with tin pans and propane.

kappy

« Reply #23 on: Jul 28, 2006, 09:11 PM »

cast Iron skillet, that sounds good  thanks for the Idea's

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2006, 07:22 PM »
If you use shortening instead of oil, it will firm up when it cools. I have seen guys with a coffee can full of shortening that they fried their fish in. When they were done, and the shortening cooled, they snapped the lid back on the can and stuffed it in their gear with no worry of spillage. If a guy was careful not to contaminate the shortening too badly, I suppose the shortening could be reused later on the trip. Out of curiosity, I fried some fish up at home in shortening, the typical friar stink was absent, and the food's quality was superb.

grumpymoe

« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2006, 07:26 PM »
gawd....for all you cholesterol watchers...this is not for you.....but the absolute best way to fry up taters and fresh caught fish is in............................................... .......LARD.......nothing finer than what our grandparents used around the turn of the century.....no such thing as olive, canola, or mazola oil.....and they lived to a ripe old age...health problems aside....you have to live and enjoy.....Grump

Ice Dawg

« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2006, 11:35 AM »
I sometimes use a coleman white gas stove and a wok. I think you can cook just about everything in a wok and they are easy to clean. I used to cook with cast iron all the time until the wife gave them away and hid the rest. I still have a nice cast iron frying pan for my ice shack if I can find it. Hmmmmmm. ??? ::) ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2006, 06:35 PM »
gawd....for all you cholesterol watchers...this is not for you.....but the absolute best way to fry up taters and fresh caught fish is in............................................... .......LARD.......nothing finer than what our grandparents used around the turn of the century.....no such thing as olive, canola, or mazola oil.....and they lived to a ripe old age...health problems aside....you have to live and enjoy.....Grump

What is the flashpoint of lard compared to vegtable oil? I remember my mom saying something about being careful with the heat when you cook with it....  As a pig farmer, I think we should fry everything in $$$$LARD$$$$!!!! ;D ;)

Pikeguy

« Reply #28 on: Jul 31, 2006, 12:38 PM »

Definitely can NOT beat lard. Cooking bisquits in it is THE BEST as well.  ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #29 on: Jul 31, 2006, 02:39 PM »
dont know what the flashpoint of lard is, but one of the coolest things was one guide using a wood match to tell when it was ready to start frying with....simply drop the match into the lard (AFTER  IT IS MELTED LOL) when the match ignites its hot enough to cook.....Grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.