FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: what happened here?  (Read 5427 times)

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
Re: what happened here?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2009, 05:03 PM »
"DO" is short for dissolved oxygen right?

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2009, 06:36 PM »
"DO" is short for dissolved oxygen right?

yep,   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

Marcus

« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2009, 08:57 AM »
couple years ago when this happened on chatauqua to the tune of 25,000 dead carp it was due to koi herpes or at least that is what the DEC said around here. I am not saying that is the issue on Alma   just seems weird that a fish as hardy as carp are all dead and other's less tolerant to lower DO levels are not . I would think bass pickerel and whatever else is in that little lake would also be dead. Hopefully the ice melting doesn't reveal damage to the other species in that pond.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:05 AM »
It doesn't make sense to me that this would be fishkill if its just the carp that were dead. There's a lot of other fish that would die first if this is the result of low dissolved oxygen in the water.

brokenline

« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2009, 04:37 PM »
the carp stay on the bottom and thats where the DO levels get lowest first.. thats why the carp and bull heads usually die first... is there any way to tell if there was a winter kill before ice out?? would fish come up to holes??
still waiting on free willy

Crappie Catcher

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Looks like just your  basic winter kill off.  :'(
If I'm not fishing, I'm hunting if I am not hunting, I'm trapping If I am not doing one of the above, I am wasting my time it is not a passion it is an obsession.

thechief

« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2009, 09:23 PM »
who cares?

taxid

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2009, 12:27 PM »
yeah, you're right...im actually doing a study on a local lake with that same issue....but the bubblers arent intented for the fishkill, but rather to combat nutrient pollution.

But they can be used to keep some water open to keep  photosynthesis going, defuse gases, and provide a refuge for low oxygen conditons in the rest of the pond. We pond owners do it all the time. For winter we set a diffuser in the shallow area of the lake or pond.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:28 AM »
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:48 PM »
who cares?

Apparently you cared enough to post your snide comment. Otherwise you wouldn't have wasted your time.  ;D
What's a matter still locked up in unsafe ice chief?  :whistling:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:55 PM »
the carp stay on the bottom and thats where the DO levels get lowest first.. thats why the carp and bull heads usually die first... is there any way to tell if there was a winter kill before ice out?? would fish come up to holes??

Umm... someone gave you some bad information. Carp and bullheads are the LAST to go along with fatheads as they can withstand lower dissolved oxygen levels. Fish will come up for D.O. when levels get low -- even bullheads and carp. Apparently dissolved oxygen levels got so low and probably some hydrogen sulfide built up under the ice that even the carp and bullheads couldn't survive. When you see dead carp and bullheads you know you have a complete fish kill. Any gamefish would have perished long before these species.  However one caveat here is larger fish perish sooner than smaller fish and those carp were good size.

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:58 PM »
right on taxidermist. I believe catfish can withstand O2 readings down to about 3mg/L...compared to trout which need somewhere around 9mg/L
    A Country Boy can Survive!

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Funny this came up,
But, I have been out golfing 4 times in the past 2 weeks... All the ponds on 3 different courses had nasty fish kills.. The species I identified were as follows.. Small Mouth, Suckers, Sunfish,Perch,Carp, Bullhead.It was weird because the the smallies,suckers,bullhead and carp were all the same size and I'm not talking a few fish, I would estimate over 50 specimens for each species in one small pond... Except for The sunfish/Bluegill, they took the worst beatings and the kill wasn't limited to one particular size, it was 1 inchers to 8+ inchers.. And i would be underestimating 300 dead. This was in ponds about half the size of a football field maybe a little bigger.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2009, 09:41 PM »
right on taxidermist. I believe catfish can withstand O2 readings down to about 3mg/L...compared to trout which need somewhere around 9mg/L

Fatheads are under 1 ppm!  :o

Actually trout could probably survive down to 3 mg/l in cold water. I've seen them do O.K. in 5 mg/l but it's not optimum. 

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 25, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Oh boy is that gonna stink! :sick:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.