FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Electric Knives- Question?  (Read 5057 times)

eddierod

Electric Knives- Question?
« on: Jul 12, 2009, 09:00 PM »
  Been smashing the Crappies at camp so decided to grab a new one at Wally World near Fort Drum since my buddys burned out. Picked up a Berkley for 39.99 did some fishing and started to do some filleting with my new knife.... It made it through maybe 2 and died!!  Need a new one, what do you use, Pros and Cons..
 Thanks, EddieRod

khaaxma

Re: Electric Knives- Question?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2009, 09:03 PM »
I use the battery operated Rapala Electric Filet Knife. It works very well for me and I've had no problems with it. I have used it almost exclusively with walleyes and it will process lots of fish before I need to recharge the battery.
I am blessed to live in a location where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

cnypanfisher

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2009, 09:26 PM »
I got 1 of those electric rechargeable rapala knives, works good, but I don't know if it has high enough endurance for 50 perch or something. The knif itself is OK, and I only got it because of good reports I got here. I do also have a plug-in one I got at wally world, it is the best knife and I have had it 3 years. I looked for 1 or 2 to replace it when the gears wear out, but can't find the same model anywhere.

khaaxma, the more important question is, where is your camp, and what are they biting on/

cny

khaaxma

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2009, 06:41 AM »
I got 1 of those electric rechargeable rapala knives, works good, but I don't know if it has high enough endurance for 50 perch or something. The knif itself is OK, and I only got it because of good reports I got here. I do also have a plug-in one I got at wally world, it is the best knife and I have had it 3 years. I looked for 1 or 2 to replace it when the gears wear out, but can't find the same model anywhere.

khaaxma, the more important question is, where is your camp, and what are they biting on/

cny
I live in Alpena, MI and I have done a majority of my walleye fishing this year on Saginaw Bay which is 87 miles south. Early in the season Reef Runners worked very well, but I am currently using drop-shot rigs with crawler harnesses that I make myself. My fishing partner and I don't get a limit of walleyes every time we go out, but the Lord has certainly blessed us mightily this year.
I am blessed to live in a location where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2009, 07:00 AM »
mister twister 'electric fisherman'. get the plug in model.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

nypike

• Where da fish at?
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2009, 09:19 AM »
I use a plian old Hamilton Beach electric knife you would use to cut bread, carve a turkey, etc... works awesome, and has been going for at least 7-8 years.

swillerjig

• Slob Hoy!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2009, 11:27 AM »
get the rapala kit it works good and has many adapters with it, plug into a cigerette lighter or directly to a 12 volt battery or a outlet or recharge it and use battery.  75$ well woth it
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life.

brokenline

« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2009, 12:24 PM »
i love it for givin people i dont like redneck walleye.. its really easy to cut through carp bones and is hard to accidentlayy cut through the skin
still waiting on free willy

ALASKANSS

• BITE THIS!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2009, 04:45 PM »
A regular SHARP fillet knife works good,and some practice

hookemcookem

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I've been using a mister twister electric knife for probabbly 5 years now and it's still going strong. I like it for crappies. i've filleted over 600 this year already and who knows how many the last 2 years.
fish on

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2009, 06:34 PM »
I use a plian old Hamilton Beach electric knife you would use to cut bread, carve a turkey, etc... works awesome, and has been going for at least 7-8 years.
Me too :thumbup_smilie:
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SkeeterJeff

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2009, 06:38 PM »
I have a Rapala Pro Guide Deluxe Electric Filet Knife.  I just switched to electric this year at the urging of my wife.  I was concerned about missing a lot of meat, but I actually do better with the electric than I did by hand.

Here is a link to the one I have.  AC/DC, two sizes of knives, all in a sturdy carrying case:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/rapala-proguide-deluxe-electric-fillet-knife-set.aspx?a=488419

Jeff

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Me too :thumbup_smilie:
RG
So, do you guys use the big double blade that comes on it when you buy it? I've been tempted to try mine out on some fish but didn't think it would work. I've always been a lil old school with a sharp blade
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

eddierod

« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2009, 08:24 PM »
  Getting some good info, so thanks to you all. I have a older Black and Decker carving knife like RG and NYPike have that I've use for the past few years on perch and Wallyes that come from the ice and have had no problems! but for the problems I've had with the one I bought and the other that died, I had to borrow a Mr. Twister and I know this guy has had it for a while so it may be the way to go.

XII Outdoors

« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2009, 09:10 PM »
I have a Rapalla and it works great

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.