FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What is the proper way to charge a deep cycle battery?  (Read 52692 times)

Grumpyoldman

I think its a trickle charge. But, since I just killed a battery, I thought I should ask.     

mealworm

• snoogan
Re: What is the proper way to charge a deep cycle battery?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2009, 05:15 AM »
having a good battery charger is half of it one that won't let you over charge and yes trickle charge is the way to go witch is the 12volt 10amp setting i always thought that the 2 amp setting was trickle charge but the 2 amp setting is for small batteries for atvs and lawn tractors and stuff   hope this helps

Flooner

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2009, 05:41 AM »
A trickle charger is typically a cheap, unregulated charger and can easily destroy a battery by overcharging. Buying a good charger that will not overcharge is one important key to long battery life.  A good deep cycle battery should withstand hundreds of drawdown/recharge cycles. Make sure you have the correct charger.

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2009, 05:46 AM »
i always thought that the 2 amp setting was trickle charge but the 2 amp setting is for small batteries for atvs and lawn tractors and stuff.
I too thought 2 amp was a trickle charge. My charger has a 2,4 and 6 amp charge rate. I always charged the battery on 6 amp until the full charge light came on, then charged on 2 amp right before I took the boat out.

I also heared that it is best to charge the battery as soon as possbile. Don't know why, just remember seeing it on here somewhere.
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2009, 06:35 AM »
trickle charging is charging slowly. i use the 4 amp setting on mine, and have never had a problem. drawn down the battery as much as possible before recharging.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2009, 08:12 AM »
I bought a Minnkota MK11OP for charging my batts, it's designed specifically for deep cycles and it shut down when the battery is charged. It has indicator lights that tell when it's charging, when it's done charging or if you have a connection problem. Works well and it's pretty much dummy proof. Got it from Bass Pro and it was not to much $.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2009, 08:14 AM »
P.S. The dummy proof comment was meant on my behalf guys, thought I better clarify ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Yukon Steve

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2009, 08:43 AM »
Definetly stay away from the "Quick Charge" on my Shumacher is 12v 15 amp but does crap on my battery. I use the 12v 2amp slow charge and it recharges my battery within 12 hours perfectly.
Steve

BBK

« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2009, 08:46 AM »
I have an onboard that gives 8 amps. Seems to charge my batteries pretty well. I can troll for 3 days without recharging.

jibbs

« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2009, 12:12 PM »
stay away from the automatic chargers....they give a surface charge, but do not get down into the cells......i have an on board charger which i plug in everytime i go fishing, but i use to use a charger that had a manuel setting an let it soak on 10 amps........i think everyone has their own method
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Grumpyoldman

« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2009, 04:31 PM »
having a good battery charger is half of it one that won't let you over charge and yes trickle charge is the way to go witch is the 12volt 10amp setting i always thought that the 2 amp setting was trickle charge but the 2 amp setting is for small batteries for atvs and lawn tractors and stuff   hope this helps

I had the old battery on the 2 amp setting! I got the charger from NAPA. has a 12v 10amp and 2 amp setting, and a 6v setting. But it does not say that it has an automatic shutoff. came w/ no instructions.
I do check the voltage as its charging w/ a voltmeter. What should I charge it to? It will charge up to 13.5v, and I have been.   

Grumpyoldman

« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2009, 04:34 PM »
trickle charging is charging slowly. i use the 4 amp setting on mine, and have never had a problem. drawn down the battery as much as possible before recharging.

How do I draw the battery down if I don't use all the juice on one fish trip and want a full charge for the next trip? 

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2009, 06:41 PM »
How do I draw the battery down if I don't use all the juice on one fish trip and want a full charge for the next trip?  
that's why i have 2 batteries. i'll wear one out completely, then charge it. most lakes where i fish are electric only, and i troll for brown trout in the spring. it's nice to have a second battery. ;)

also, buy the second one 2-3 years after the first one, so you can always have a fairly new battery as your main one. ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Flooner

« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Deep cycle batteries are identical to automotive batteries with the exception of thicker lead plates which allows for a much increased reserve capacity (allowing it to run longer at lower draws) and lower cold cranking amps (needed for starting). There should be no reason to draw a deep cycle battery way down before recharging.

unreel

« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2009, 08:31 PM »
A unit with a "Float" charger is best that way it's not always sending a charge.....

http://batterytender.com/battery_basics.php/#2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.