FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: personal pontoon or belly boat  (Read 7191 times)

raleigh

personal pontoon or belly boat
« on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:24 PM »
I am looking at the ODC 816 personal pontoon boat from Cabelas. What do you people think are the pros and cons to owning a personal pontoon over a belly boat ? I seam to see more belly boats on the water than pontoons.

Gilles

Re: personal pontoon or belly boat
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:54 PM »
I own both and I rarely use my belly boat anymore.  I have a trolling motor for my pontoon and have been through the nastest weather with it and its very safe and comfortable.  Its my first choice becuase you can cover ten times more water in a pontoon especially with a trolling motor .  The pontoon seems like more work because its heavier and takes up more storage space but they are far more comfortable in the water. When the wind comes up in a belly boat after three hours of hard core paddleing I'm spent, but with the pontoon I just anchor up and fish all day.  They both have there place, what type of fishing are you going to do with them.

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:59 AM »
I've always wanted one or the other but with the size of my belly, I'd probably have to go with the pontoon type.
Pete Lewis

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2004, 06:04 AM »
Better stick with the walleye machine Pete. Can't put a 150 on that pontoonie boat.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:55 AM »
are belly boats safe????

Absolutely!  I have the Caddis Navigator II pontoon style float tube.  It easily handles my 225 lbs.  The only tricky part is getting used to walking with a tube around your waste and flippers on your feet when you are entering/exiting the water.  It can be awkward your first couple of attempts.

I met a guy that had one of those Water Skeeter pontoons and that thing was awesome!  They are expensive, but look to be worth every penny considering the features and versatility.

daffydone

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2004, 03:29 PM »
I have owned a belly boat for about ten years, and I love it! I have never used the pontoon boat, though it seems nice, I would prefer the belly boat over the pontoon because you are at water level. I have caught hundreds of bass out of my bellyboat and it's a blast! it can be a little dagerous though, if you get a slow leak. that's why I stay in the shallows, and fish the shores. I also prefer the belly boat, because if the tube goes flat, you can go to the nearest automotive store and buy a innertube to replace the old one. I don't reuse the old tubes, I don't want to take any chances of it springing a new leak!

raleigh

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2004, 03:57 PM »
Well today I made up my mind. I decided I would go with the outcast Fishercat 8 foot personal pontoon. I went to Sportsmans wharehouse picked it out, bought it, assembeled it and than just looked at it. I still have a little while till I can use it because there is still a lot of ice on the mesa. Thanks for all the oppinions and help everyone !!! Let me know if you people can see the pic. I got rid of sharemation and trying photobucket.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2004, 09:48 PM »
Nice float Raleigh. Looks like a lot of fun. I've wanted one for a while...I think this may the the year.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seaweed01

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:30 AM »
Yes, the picture came out good. Iv'e saw a lot ot
them on some of the larger waters/streams  that
I fish.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 01:52 PM »
Yes, the picture came out good. Iv'e saw a lot ot
them on some of the larger waters/streams  that
I fish.

seaweed, where you live? besides raleigh now, I'm prob. the only one in our area that has one.

They are great on rivers and lakes, and raleigh, take that puppy onto leon lake or down the gunny gorge, its great

seaweed01

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Bera,
In Sayre,PA - about 70 miles from the West Branch Delaware where we see many of them every day.

feasanthunter

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:56 PM »
i've been using a madison pontoon for 2 yrs and love it.it fits easy in my f-150 with the gate up.just bought a smartcast wrist display sonar to hang under the seat.the madison is a great boat for $250 but if you have $500 get one with a hard seat and motor mount.

I CAN,I WILL, I DID

wyogator

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2004, 03:30 PM »
Float tubes are great. I don't think they are very safe in Florida with the gators, but I use mine out in Wyoming and Colorado all the time. If you are floating rivers, I would get a San Juan boat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.