FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Round Goby caught in Irondequoit Bay  (Read 6349 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Round Goby caught in Irondequoit Bay
« on: Jul 20, 2004, 06:49 AM »
I caught a Round Goby in I-Bay yesterday. Anyone else finding these nasty little fish?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Round Goby caught in Irondequoit Bay
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2004, 07:00 AM »
My old man caught one there a year ago. Right next to the bridge. DEC Officer was walking around at the time and said to kill it. They did just that.

"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2004, 08:30 AM »
I was catching them ny the bucketful in the Upper Niagara River this year and they've been catching a lot of them out in Lake Erie this year too.  They are butt ugly bait stealers that you should kill whenever you catch them.  You can feed them to the seagulls if they are around, they seem to love them!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

OTIS

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2004, 09:49 AM »
I caught one about four years ago at the mouth of Oneida Creek on Oneida Lake.  We didn't know what it was so we killed it, I later found out it was a Round Goby.  What size are the Goby you have been catching, this one was around 14 inches?
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2004, 10:23 AM »
www.illinoissmallmouthalliance.com/ goby.html

Looks like most of the Goby's are on the U.S. side. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2004, 12:15 PM »
OTIs, i think you caught a sculpin. They live in fast water, gobies are more lake fish.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2004, 06:23 PM »
What I caught was definitely a Goby. When I first heard about them I downloaded an ID card from the Minn. DNR site. It was only 5" long  and hit a worm on bottom.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

firstice_rules

• got to get them fishies
« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2004, 07:14 PM »
gobeys are the most anoying fish in the world i've even caught one on a 1 1/2 inch tube wile crappie fishing. what a way to ruin our lakes, rivers, streams ect.
notin better than a perch on the end of my line!

Polar

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2004, 07:52 PM »
Them fish are everywhere. Lake Erie has loads of them, They are in the Cattaraugus Creek in the fall like no tommorrow. I know this is off the subject but the zebra mussels are taking over too. Chautauqua lake has a large population now too.

OTIS

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2004, 07:06 AM »
We were Walleye fishing using twister tails, and we thought it was a Walleye until it came out of the water.  It was a silver color, and the place I caught it has a very slow current.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2004, 09:34 AM »
That sounds like a goby, but how the hell did it get there?

OTIS

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2004, 11:50 AM »
The only reason I question if it was a goby or not is because it was around 14 inches long.  I didn't think they got that big.  It must have come down from Lake Ontario through the canal system.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2004, 01:03 PM »
I know there are some sculpins that get near a foot long. I dont know about gobies, i think they're normally like 4 inches, right? Who knows

fastribs85

« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2004, 02:24 PM »
any ways to get rid of them things and the zebra musses
naked women and beer we got it all in here

wny angler

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2004, 06:14 PM »
Caught my first goby a few years back through the ice on erie in 55 fow.Seems their everywhere now ,from 60 ft depths to shallow harbors.it,s only a matter of time before they spread thoughout the entire great lakes system and beyond,see'in how they spawn 5 times a year.i kill e'm all when i catch e,m  but theres so many of e,m i doubt that makes any difference,looks like their here to stay just like the mussels.

heres an average size goby from lake erie

the gobys feed on mussels that filter out toxins and bacteria from the lake then in turn infect the bass ,walleye and other fish that feed on them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.