FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: FireLine question  (Read 4192 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
FireLine question
« on: Apr 05, 2005, 02:56 PM »
Hi all I have purchased some fireline for my reel this season, I wondering  if a person should tye there lure directly to the fireline so you get the full hook set, or would it be better to tye on a leader of mono like Vanish so the fish don't see the line and there is some give? 8)

Water Wolf
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Mackdaddy21

Re: FireLine question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2005, 03:51 PM »
Yeah I've never used it for casting but am going to try it this year. I will add a fluoro leader as our water is clear, and when I used it for ice fishing I always put backing on.
Slipbob, how would you say that 6/2 fireline would cast in comparison to 6 pound limp mono?

Tyler

big big rdg

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2005, 05:03 PM »
I dont use leaders for any water conditions, clear, muddy, ect. I find they hit fine without any. Deffinatly put about 50 yds. of mono on the spool before putting on the fireline to prevent slipping though. This is the only line I use, I love it!
FSHON!

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2005, 05:14 PM »
Sorry, I'm new to fire line this season, I just finished spooling up my baitcaster and then I read this thread. What do you mean by slipping? what affects will this have?

I also noticed that the question of using a leader seems to be split with some yes's and a no. Is this due to species of fish you are going after. Is it more important to use the leader with Walleye over LMB.

any help would be appreciated

duderover

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2005, 05:56 PM »
I never use a leader with fireline, and the bass don't seem to mind. I've been using it for years.You have to tie your lures to the line with a special type of knot though, I think it's called a palomer knot.It tells you how in the packaging instructions.Don't forget to put  some mono at the beginning,to prevent slippage.

Mikepike

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2005, 06:21 PM »
Personally, i dont care much for fireline. I find it hard to tie clinch knots, and it tends to rip a hole in the fish's mouth because of the no-stretch characteristics. it also is coated with some sort of grease, and you cannot tie it directly to the reel without some difficulty

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

Original FISHER Jodoin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2005, 06:43 PM »
i dont use fireline, im a stren man, but, i never use a leader, i think it'd be ok wihtout 1..
GIT _ R _ DONE

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2005, 09:00 PM »
fireline is very good line but many knots slip. i prefer a palomar knot with braids to prevent slipping. i also put a little mono onthe beginning of the spool to prevent that from slipping as well. i think the most important factor in determining wether or not to use a leader is water clarity.
Scotty 

carpcatcher

« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2005, 06:52 AM »
You guy's might think I'm nut's but I don't use a mono backer. I take a peice of duct tape cut to the width of the spool, wrap it twice around the spool and then cut it off and put the fire line on that. I have never had the fire line slip on that and it is one less knot to deal with. As for the fire line it's self, I dont think you can get any better.
     Jim
Love 2 fish

treed942000

• Bailee and Sandee
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2005, 10:48 AM »
IRT fireline, what is the weight comparison with mono?  I use 20 pd mono when catfishing, what would that compare to in fireline?

Tight Lines,
TReed

Open Water @ www.myfishfinder.com Icy Conditions @ www.iceshanty.com Hunting @
www.myhuntingforum.com

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2005, 11:45 PM »
Thanks for all the reply guys. The FireLine I bought was 10lb test in the flourscent flame green color. It has the diameter of 4lb test. I was also adviced by the store owner to fill my spool at least half full with a mono backing, to prevent slipage. He also advice to use a blood knot to connect the two lines together and a polymer knot to attach the hook or lure, he felt this was the best knot to use with FireLine.
 How long will fire line last? Would you have to replace it every year like regular line or can it work for a couple of seasons? It also seem that it would take the abuse from toothy critters like pike well, with out the use of a steel leader. Has anyone found this to be true? ;)

Water Wolf
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

devil-man

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2005, 04:22 AM »
I tried Fireline when it first came out. It's great for trolling, but it is another line I won't cast with. I find it digs into the spool and causes problems...
SB's point about a Mono backing is very important if you're going to use it. There's nothing more frustrating than spooling up with new (expensive) line and then have it just rotate... All the while reeling like a lunatic. TRUST ME, I know.  8)

carpcatcher

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2005, 07:32 AM »
Everyone has their own opinion and mine is great for fire line. I abuse it every summer in the salt water for striper's, blue's, and whatever else in the inlet will hit my bait. I cast all nite long, nite after nite and don't have any problem's. Even casting live sand flea's with no weight. As far as the teeth thing, I don't know about the pike but it only takes a blue about     that long to cut is. Like slipbob said earlier with it's small dia. it wark's good in wind and current (less drag). That's just my opinion.
      Jim
Love 2 fish

walleye1

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2005, 09:01 AM »
Slipbob - A couple questions for ya. 1. - What do you do in the event of a snag? It's got to be tough to break that line. 2. - Does Fireline do any damage to the gudes?   

treed942000

• Bailee and Sandee
« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2005, 09:31 AM »
Slipbob,

What's the poundage compared to mono.  ie 20lb mono = ?? firline?

Thanks
TReed
Tight Lines,
TReed

Open Water @ www.myfishfinder.com Icy Conditions @ www.iceshanty.com Hunting @
www.myhuntingforum.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.