FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Albino Deer Herd  (Read 7797 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Albino Deer Herd
« on: Mar 14, 2004, 01:50 PM »
I know it's not fishing, But I took these pics today at the Seneca Army Depot  in New York.

These deer are a part of the captive albino  herd within the depot fences. Over the years of being trapped inside the installation, the white strain has proliferated and now out numbers the normal color phase. The herd is estimated at about 200.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
Re: Albino Deer Herd
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:24 PM »
Cool, I've never seen one.

They kind of look like goats. ;D
Harold

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:40 PM »
Those are incredible pictures Bob!  I have a similar experience that I can share here.

I live in a very rural town in NH and one morning two years ago I was out to feed my pheasants in the back yard which I was raising to train my dogs with.

It was a typical spring morning.  Nice sunny crisp day.  When I went to unlatch the door on my flight pen I felt like something was watching me.  I looked up into the treeline and there was a big doe standing there not more than 30 feet away!  Around here that is not a strange thing to have happen.  We have deer come through the property daily.

I thought to myself that was cool but I was completely unprepared for what I saw next when she started moving on.  She had a fawn with her that was "pie-bald"!  It was completely white with the exception of it's head and cape which were the usual brown!

I saw that little deer nearly everday that spring.  Later on after talking to my neighboor I found out that it had a twin that had died early on.  Apparently, there was/is a 6 pt pie-bald buck in the neighboorhood that is fathering more of his kind.

The truly sad part about this story is that the little fawn I had been watching was shot on opening day in the fall for somebody's trophy wall.  It weighed less than 35 lbs. :(

Being a deer hunter myself, I knew that would happen but deep down was hoping that people would let it go a season or two to at least make it good table fare too!  Seemed like a waste to be taken so young... >:(

seaweed01

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:46 PM »
RG,
I've saw them before when we used to go to  the
commisary at the Depot. They are reall neat.
If I remember correctly from some article that I have
read they are not an albino, but a  a true white
color phase of whitetail. I have a friend who lives
upstate that has two of the white bucks mounted that
he got there while stationed there. They are really
gourgeous.

Hollywood

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:57 PM »
We pulled off the road once on the way to Corning for opening day of deer season to watch 3 white bucks with 2 regulars there. I believe they have a hunt there every year-a sport shop in Oswego had a number of white deer mounts from there.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:12 PM »
RG,
I've saw them before when we used to go to  the
commisary at the Depot. They are reall neat.
If I remember correctly from some article that I have
read they are not an albino, but a  a true white
color phase of whitetail. I have a friend who lives
upstate that has two of the white bucks mounted that
he got there while stationed there. They are really
gourgeous.

Your right, they are not albino.  The way it was explained to me, they are a genetic mutant of the whitetail.  This genetic mutation was isolated and bred to promote its characteristics.  Now they have a pure white strain of WhiteTail.  If they were true albino they would have pink eyes, nose and hoofs.  They seem to be very large bodied deer but, with smaller than average antlers.  No matter what they are they are definatley beautiful creatures.  I always stop when driving past there but rarely see them out wherethey can be viewed from the road.  Nice pics RG!
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:15 PM »
Those are pretty neat Bob, I have never seen an albino in the woods but have seen pie-balds. I think they look like goats too.  BBBBaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike
""TIGHT LINES"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:15 PM »
Seaweed1,
That's interesting...that they are a true color phase. I'm doing a bit more research.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:24 PM »
Those are incredible pictures Bob!  I have a similar experience that I can share here.

I live in a very rural town in NH and one morning two years ago I was out to feed my pheasants in the back yard which I was raising to train my dogs with.

It was a typical spring morning.  Nice sunny crisp day.  When I went to unlatch the door on my flight pen I felt like something was watching me.  I looked up into the treeline and there was a big doe standing there not more than 30 feet away!  Around here that is not a strange thing to have happen.  We have deer come through the property daily.

I thought to myself that was cool but I was completely unprepared for what I saw next when she started moving on.  She had a fawn with her that was "pie-bald"!  It was completely white with the exception of it's head and cape which were the usual brown!

I saw that little deer nearly everday that spring.  Later on after talking to my neighboor I found out that it had a twin that had died early on.  Apparently, there was/is a 6 pt pie-bald buck in the neighboorhood that is fathering more of his kind.

The truly sad part about this story is that the little fawn I had been watching was shot on opening day in the fall for somebody's trophy wall.  It weighed less than 35 lbs. :(

Being a deer hunter myself, I knew that would happen but deep down was hoping that people would let it go a season or two to at least make it good table fare too!  Seemed like a waste to be taken so young... >:(

Cider,

I don't understand people like that myself.  Don't worry they are not just where you live.  We've got them here in PA too.  I personally would not shoot a deer like that because I get more enjoyment out of watching them.  Even if someone did want to harvest that animal (which is there right as long as they do it legally) why not wait until it is mature?  Several years ago I had the opportunity to take a small 1 1/2 yr old buck with a double white patch under his neck like a pronghorn.  Everyone in the area had seen it.  I decided to pass on the deer and see if he made it.  The next archery season when he came through the same general area I did not make the same decision.  As this time he sported a 19 1/2" spread and much longer points.  People don't realize what they can have if they are patient.  That buck meant a heck of alot more to me than if I had taken the opportunity the year before.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:31 PM »
This whole herd seems a bit stunted compared to the wild population in the area. Most likely because they don't have access to the crops the "outsiders" do.
RG

crappieloo

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:35 PM »
I have seen those deer at the depot also. At night they seem to glow.
My neighbor processes deer and i saw one one doe last year that was about the size of a small dog :( He might have got 10 or 12 lbs. of meat off of it and paid $65 for processing ??? Go figure.
crappieloo

icefishnh

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:38 PM »
great pics man!!!  a few years back i was hunting with my uncle on youth weekend and we jumped a piebald. took a few shots but nothing. o well.   i live in NH btw
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:44 PM »
Once I caught a brown trout that was 2/3 white. sort of strange.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:02 PM »
A bit more research,

How It Began

In 1941, 24 miles of security fencing enclosed the area now known as the Conservation Area (CA) of the former Seneca Army Depot. Captured within the fence line of the CA were several whitetail deer (Odocoileus virginianus) of the normal brown coloration. Within a few years, however, something unique happened. White pigmented deer began populating the brown deer herd within the CA. The U. S. Army, sensing something unique was taking place, gave the white deer protection while they managed the brown deer through hunting. This was necessary to keep the population within the carrying capacity of the habitat of the CA.
How did the white deer coloration manifest itself within the CA?

It appears one or more of the brown whitetails originally confined with the CA, carried the recessive gene for white coloration. Over time and with protection from the military, this normally recessive gene continued to manifest itself. Today, the CA is home to the world’s largest and only herd of white deer, nearly 200 individuals strong. Such a density of white deer can be found no where else in the world!

White deer have brown eyes unlike albino deer that are pink eyed. It is also not uncommon to see brown does with white fawns or white does with brown fawns. The color combinations of white and brown deer range from gray to brown as well as white spotting along with pure white.
How are they protected now?

To protect the entire deer herd, the maintenance of the 24 miles of fence must be maintained. Within the fenced area of the CA, the white and brown deer can be properly managed through hunting to keep the herd healthy. If the fence line degrades, and the deer escape, especially the white deer, they are heavily sought as trophies and will perish quickly.
How you can help protect them in the future?

With your help, this unique natural resource, the white deer of the former Seneca Army Depot, can be preserved for generations to enjoy and marvel. To help in this endeavor, check out on how you can assist. @

http://www.senecawhitedeer.org/index.htm

Courtesy of;
Seneca White Deer Inc.

seaweed01

« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:03 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the info on the white deer. That was
real interesting. I got to thinking (real dangerous)
where I had read about them and I believe it was
in an old NY Conservation magazine.
Again - A real good explaination on how/what/why
about the deer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.