FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake George Accident  (Read 4831 times)

Toadhunter

Lake George Accident
« on: Oct 03, 2005, 04:19 PM »
Anyone have further details on what happened?

Chucker

Re: Lake George Accident
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2005, 04:33 PM »
Lots of hits on Google News for it... Here's a sample story from a TV station in Albany - http://www.wten.com/Global/story.asp?S=3927612&nav=6uyN

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2005, 04:35 PM »
read about that in the local papers. my condolences go out to the familys of those who lost there lives.
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2005, 02:11 AM »
That is terrible news.
Man, those boats should have a life jacket for every person on board.
My condolences to their family and friends. :(

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

archbishop

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2005, 04:03 AM »
there were life jackets for everyone, but they said it happened so fast no one had a chance to get them on.

deerhunter

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2005, 06:37 AM »
top heavy boat hit by big wacs from another big boat going to fast and to close.

mrwalleye

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2005, 09:42 AM »
top heavy boat hit by big wacs from another big boat going to fast and to close.
ppl love whipping around in their big vroom vrooms.  same guys who cant wait to get theirsnowmobiles out on the ice, and whip past you in your shanty at 90 mph while drunk....*ducks head and covers himself*  ;D  all you snow-mo-beal-ers  :o

mrwalleye

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2005, 09:46 AM »
its a tragedy by the way, it sucks that ppl have to die like that, while trying to enjoy themselves.  bummer

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2005, 10:20 AM »
The owners and skipper of those boats should be hung. What are they doing allowing fifty or whatever people on there; all senior citizens, and some that have walkers or are in wheelchairs; and they don't make them wear life jackets? Come on people: If you didn't have any use of your legs or whatever reason you are confined in a wheelchair and you go fishing on a boat; would you not wear a life jacket? A tragedy that could have easily been avoided in my opinion. The owners/skipper should be put away for a long time for that.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

MXFishin

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Good point Vancouvercanuck, It's very sad what happened, but you excatly right. If you don't have good us of you legs you should have a life jacket on in a boat. A few year back I broke my leg, and had a cast on. No matter how hot it was in the boat, I couldn't risk being out there with out a jacket on at all times. Things just happen way to fast on the water. I bet unless it was the law the skipper/owner of the boat would have had a hard time getting everyone to wear a jacket.

devil-man

« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2005, 01:23 PM »
Both good points. Wearing a PFD is not required in NY, and I hope it never is.
The elderly people had the choice to wear them or not.

I can't possibly see how the owners can be held liable. They had the responsibility of providing them, but couldn't make anyone over a certain age (?) wear them.

This is something that should never have happened. Hopefully disabled and elderly people will learn from this and history won't repeat itself.

It was a tragedy that could have been avoided with common sense.
JMO

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Even though a life jacket is not required I think it is a good idea to alway have it on through out your time on the water, you never know when an accident may happen, and even the best swimmers have trouble in that cold a water. Safety first for me.
For those charter boats it should be mandatory that they are worn.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Polar

« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2005, 06:30 PM »
The owners and skipper of those boats should be hung. What are they doing allowing fifty or whatever people on there; all senior citizens, and some that have walkers or are in wheelchairs; and they don't make them wear life jackets? Come on people: If you didn't have any use of your legs or whatever reason you are confined in a wheelchair and you go fishing on a boat; would you not wear a life jacket? A tragedy that could have easily been avoided in my opinion. The owners/skipper should be put away for a long time for that.

It's a terrible thing that happened and it should be investigated, If something was done wrong charge them. I don't have a problem with that at all. To the next point  this is what's wrong with society,when a accident happens, everybody starts pointing fingers. How could it have been avoided? Yes they could have reduced the chances by bolting the chairs down and everybody wearing a life jacket most likely it would of still happened.

archbishop

« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2005, 07:55 PM »
no doubt the boat would have still capsized, but how many people would have died? i think on a personal boat life jackets should be optional, but on a medium sized boast that has the public on it, ecspecially older people or children they should wear them.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2005, 08:05 PM »
One theory they're looking into is that when the boat rolled with the wake of another boat, the chairs on the upper deck all slid to the one side, shifting the center of gravity, causing it to go over on its side. You're right Polar, they could bolt the chairs down and then passengers would gripe about not being able to move them to be more comfortable at the tables. You can't please everyone and life isn't accident free. It is a tragedy for sure. As for life jackets - mandatory use would probably kill the business. This type boat usually gets quite a bit of their business from dinner cruises, theater cruises, etc. The life jacket would surely ruin the ambiance of a moonlight cruise.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.