FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake George Accident  (Read 4830 times)

vancouvercanuck

Re: Lake George Accident
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2005, 11:07 AM »
Skipper: "Well hello Mr. Quadriplegic, welcome to the SS. Cornholio, come on aboard." "Would you like to put this life jacket on for safety Mr. Quadriplegic? being that you can't use any of your four extremities."

Mr. Quadriplegic: "No thankyou, my wife and I are on our anniversary and I don't want to wrinkle my coat, or ruin the mood."

Skipper: "Alrighty then, let's get going."

??? ??? ???
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Polar

« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2005, 03:27 PM »
Skipper: "Well hello Mr. Quadriplegic, welcome to the SS. Cornholio, come on aboard." "Would you like to put this life jacket on for safety Mr. Quadriplegic? being that you can't use any of your four extremities."

Mr. Quadriplegic: "No thankyou, my wife and I are on our anniversary and I don't want to wrinkle my coat, or ruin the mood."

Skipper: "Alrighty then, let's get going."

??? ??? ???
Thats right, everybody has freedom of choice.

blaque

« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2005, 03:55 PM »
Not exactly polar, try getting on the niagara whirlpool jet boat without a lifejacket on. Aint happening! Or see if you can go to Cedar point and get on the raptor without bringing the shoulder harness down. They'll tell you to stick that freedom of choice right up the old wazoo! lol.

grumpymoe

« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2005, 04:11 PM »
the bottom line is that whatever opinion is voiced here, there likely would have been lives lost regardless of pfd's or not....the boat capsized.....imagine what difference if would have made if they had them on....trapped in a mostly enclosed boat....Grump

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2005, 07:51 PM »
the bottom line is that whatever opinion is voiced here, there likely would have been lives lost regardless of pfd's or not....the boat capsized.....imagine what difference if would have made if they had them on....trapped in a mostly enclosed boat....Grump
My thoughts exactly..

Life jackets are made to float..If your in an enclosed boat and it fills with water your gonna rise with the water inside the boat and then (in this case) you'd be trying like hell to get the thing off because your  stuck to the floor of a sinking boat.. I can't imagine swimming would be that easy under water with a PFD on.. Everyone wants to hang the skipper ??? why ??? because he woke up and drove the same tour he has all summer without incident the guy is a retired State Trooper and spent his life protecting people.. Do you think he went out half cocked and said lets see how many people I can drown today??
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

archbishop

« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2005, 05:16 AM »
yeah but the boat wassnt enclosed, it was a touring/learning boat wassnt it? i think because most were elderly there still wouldve been loss. personally i think the seats were more the problen if they didnt shift it may not have tipped over. as far as the skipper i havnt heard anyone saying he was the problem, what did he do? could he have avoided the wake?

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2005, 05:52 AM »
Alot of people are saying that there should have been atleast two crew members aboard (required by law) and there also are people talking about him being an alcoholic, a claim that has been denied by himself and several other people involved in the case.

blaque

« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2005, 07:15 AM »
Yeah, i agree with Mickey..........i dont like to point fingers in an accident situation. Obviously no one wanted this to happpen........its something that needs to be forgiven whomever was at fault. Nobody meant for this to happen. Its human nature though these days to want to throw in the lynch mob and crucify anyone at fault. It was an accident, and anyone of us could be in the captains position any day we wake up. So consider that before wanting to destroy another persons livelyhood.

OTIS

« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2005, 09:06 AM »
Yeah, i agree with Mickey..........i dont like to point fingers in an accident situation. Obviously no one wanted this to happpen........its something that needs to be forgiven whomever was at fault. Nobody meant for this to happen. Its human nature though these days to want to throw in the lynch mob and crucify anyone at fault. It was an accident, and anyone of us could be in the captains position any day we wake up. So consider that before wanting to destroy another persons livelyhood.

Finally a voice of reason!  It was an accident.  Accidents happen.  It was a terrable think that people lost their lives.  It is nothing more than that.  Too many lawyers are trying to make a buck on every accident that happens, "Someone must be held accountable!".  Wrong.  Accidents are accidents, nothing more to it.  No one was forced to get on that boat.  No one was deprived of a pfd.  It's time that people be held accountable for themselves and the decisions they make.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

blaque

« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2005, 10:38 AM »
How many people know what its like to feel what the captain of that boat is more than likely feeling right now.  Not many. I can gaurantee you the man and everyone involved is probably going to need counseling, and wake up everyday for the rest of their lives with the  turmoil in the back of their minds.........reliving it, feeling guilty about it.....crawling up in a ball because they dont know how to deal with the aftermath and the experience their going through. yes people passed away, and its hard to even think about, its terrible.......but everyone involved is effected GREATLY and negatively in an accident like that. Their were no criminals involved here that made a voluntary decision to go hurt people that day. Again, put yourself in the same position, you could be on either end of it as early as your ride home from work today!

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2005, 10:50 AM »
I am hearing "it was an accident" "accidents happen" alot in this thread. Well if anyone is in the safety industry here would know; accidents are avoidable.

That's a fact.

"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

OTIS

« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2005, 11:14 AM »
I am hearing "it was an accident" "accidents happen" alot in this thread. Well if anyone is in the safety industry here would know; accidents are avoidable.

That's a fact.

The fact is you can never avoid ALL accidents.  You may be able to go long periods between accidents, and you may be able to lengthen that period by making changes to procedure.  Buy you will inevitably have an accident, it will happen.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

grumpymoe

« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2005, 11:21 AM »
Fact......If its made with human hands, its going to fail......If a human is behind the wheel, there's going to be an accident.....its just a matter of time......Grump

blaque

« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2005, 11:39 AM »
So are mistakes, but we all make them and my theory on it all, is if the intent isnt there to hurt someone.......whether it could have somehow been avoided or not.........its an accident.., and thats no reason to throw the book at someone and destroy their life......i just ahte seeing all this......"Lets get him, lets get someone for god sakes" attitude. If the situation is insured......and im just talking monetarily.....then so be it. Take what insurance has alloted to you in the system.....but if it goes beyond that.....i just see it as senseless to destroy someones life for being involved in an accidental tragedy. But thats obviously just me, i wouldnt want it on my conscious to know that i took some childs father and put him in jail and took him away from their family because he put me in a wheelchair because he accidentally ran a redlight changing his radio station. Sorry......not me. Accidents can be avoided yes, but if they arent, well........Ive already said all i had to shed on the topic. This isnt a Utopia, if all accidents were averted for the remainder of time, Id be extremely worried

devil-man

« Reply #29 on: Oct 07, 2005, 01:15 PM »
This isnt a Utopia, if all accidents were averted for the remainder of time, Id be extremely worried

That would be boring, wouldn't it?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.