FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cats on the fly rod  (Read 2630 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Cats on the fly rod
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2022, 04:30 PM »
Went back out today, again not a lot of action, was slow working a 7” pike fly, got a good hard hit, a loooong hard run, and a few more hard runs, was sure I had a good pike! A few minutes later ….. Nope …. another channel cat 29” long. Not what I was looking for but every bit as much fun!

You’re ready for some carp on the fly👍
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

2LMKR2

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2022, 05:25 PM »
Thanks! 2LMKR2 Let me know how they turn out.
 I'm back at the bench! :D Sent photo to my nephews in Charlotte, NC and asked them if they'd like a few? They said, "Yes, Please!" So I bought nice little divided plastic boxes at Walmart, about 3"x 5" for $1.00 and put 25 in each box and put boxes in bubble wrap envelopes and shipped them out. $4.85 each. The next batch is mine! :laugh:
Teach

Yes, I sure will.
I bet your nephews will have a good time and put them to good use!
I ordered some of the  Hareline UV Mottled Galaxy Mop Chenille from Spawn Fly Fishing on Monday, the tracking number says it should be here tomorrow! Very anxious to see it, questions about size, density, sink rate, always fun to learn and try something new. With the all day rain I've been inside tying musky flies today, so it will be nice to go back to something smaller again!

2LMKR2

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2022, 05:28 PM »
You’re ready for some carp on the fly👍

That's one of the few local fish I haven't taken with a fly …... would be fun to give it a try!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2022, 06:50 PM »
More fun than you can imagine.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 07:56 AM »
For a good tutorial video of how to tie the Mop Fly, type in your search: TroutLegend- The 30 Second Mop Fly.
This guy cuts through all the BS. Easy Peasy!!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2022, 08:44 AM »
Interesting read : Noel Dawes: In Defense of the Mop Fly. go to your search and type it in.
Teach

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2022, 12:39 PM »
Sounds awesome Teach.

2LMKR2

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2022, 05:06 PM »
For a good tutorial video of how to tie the Mop Fly, type in your search: TroutLegend- The 30 Second Mop Fly.
This guy cuts through all the BS. Easy Peasy!!
Teach

Thanks for more information! Nice video, I haven't read the article yet but plan to tonight.
The Hareline UV Mottled Galaxy Mop Chenille came in today so I tied up a few real quick. I think it must be smaller than you would get out of a mop or mitt. What I got is just under 1/4” diameter, I tied them on a #12 dry fly hook and no bead. They start out floating and after squeezing them in water they have a very slow sink, which is what I wanted to start out. If the wind and rain ever lets up I will definitely be giving them a try.

rivereddy

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2022, 06:10 PM »
I've been known to dunk a salmon egg fly in vanilla extract and toss it with a 7wt for
old bugle nose...

fish on

rivereddy

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2022, 08:54 AM »
Those Mops  look good to me!! Go get 'em! I went to Bass Pro the other day and they might as well close their Fly Fishing Dept.! Had no one working there and had zippo to choose from. Saw a package of Grizzly hackle for $13.00. I counted 32 feathers!!!!!!! Went on line looking for hooks and beads. Size 10 hooks, SOLD OUT everywhere! Guess what everyone is tying!!!
Teach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.