FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Michigan ?  (Read 9326 times)

fishinator

Re: Lake Michigan ?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2023, 06:55 AM »
Good luck Al, let us know how you did.

abishop

« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2023, 09:52 AM »
Too cold and windy. Didn't go. We have a lot of rain coming in over the next 10 days. Maybe i will get out. Maybe not on the big lake but, somewhere.

staubsaugen

« Reply #32 on: Mar 21, 2023, 07:05 PM »
Fished the big lake today and got 13 coho and steelhead with a buddy and our kids. Supper fun day with near non stop action in the 2.5 hours we could be out. Fish hit everything today and all we talked with had limits

LundProv

« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2023, 04:42 PM »
Did not get out particularly early this morning... 8:30ish and I was surprised how busy the ramp was at Portage.  Being an old guy and somewhat opinionated, my first thought was... does anyone go to work anymore?  My second thought was... good for everyone... I hope they are catching fish...  Went with a friend that I fish with a couple of times a year and we headed to the clay bank area north of US Steel.  Pretty easy navigation this morning as the lake was kind and upon arrival, there were maybe a dozen boats.  Noticed a few bent rods and set the minn kota in spot lock mode.  With the south wind, the boat positioned appropriately and the full windshield made my makeshift office on the water very comfortable to say the least.  My friend was more excited it seemed as he had not yet perch fished this year.  He dropped a perch rig over tipped with minnows and in very short order, had a nice 12" perch.  I fiddled around deciding what blade bait I wanted to play with and it wasn't long before I also was hooked up.  We had our 30 before you knew it and we decided to keep the first 30 we caught.  I realize it is personal preference and personal decision but we all know these smaller perch simply are not going to survive if released.  Unfortunately, we saw several boats releasing fish and I guess fortunately, the seagulls seemed busy and happy.  We certainly have become spoiled this season with these large perch as we saw a few "floater" perch that were released that had to be every bit of 10".  Man, in the summer months and also in the fall over at Cal Park, we would be very content with 10" perch.  I don't know how long this bonanza will last but I would encourage you all to get out and enjoy this fantastic perch fishing. 

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #34 on: Mar 22, 2023, 05:03 PM »
Can't believe I'm saying this but this very thread I started has grown to become my nemesis. I'm truly grateful for everyone reporting here about all the success they are having on such a variety of species. In the beginning of January I dropped my new (less than a year old) boat off at the marina for a few "minor" warranty issues. Long story short and countless hours of being on the phone I'm still without a boat. So I'm very appreciative of everyone for rubing in all the action they are having while I'm stuck waving at you from the shore  :D :'( :'( :'(

taxid

« Reply #35 on: Mar 22, 2023, 06:20 PM »
Great to hear people are catching fish! That's what it's all about!

Wallydiver I hope you get your issues resolved soon. If I lived closer, could get out, and had a boat worthy of the big lake you'd be welcome to tag along.

Speaking of boats I won't be bringing my trailered one on vacation with me out east. The lake (they call them ponds in New England) doesn't open a gate for driving in with a boat trailer until the swimming beach opens, which isn't until June 17th. However, you can launch a kayak anytime as there is enough space to fit through if you pull a kayak by hand. It's been explained to me that school doesn't let out until then out there, and that's when they get their summer help to regulate the beach etc. of which they close the gate at night. Also thanks to some jackasses they have had vandalism if they leave the gate open with no one around. Always somebody that ruins it for everybody else! I'm bummed but at least I have a kayak.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinator

« Reply #36 on: Mar 22, 2023, 06:59 PM »
Can't believe I'm saying this but this very thread I started has grown to become my nemesis. I'm truly grateful for everyone reporting here about all the success they are having on such a variety of species. In the beginning of January I dropped my new (less than a year old) boat off at the marina for a few "minor" warranty issues. Long story short and countless hours of being on the phone I'm still without a boat. So I'm very appreciative of everyone for rubing in all the action they are having while I'm stuck waving at you from the shore  :D :'( :'( :'(
plenty of shore action,  just not for perch

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #37 on: Mar 22, 2023, 07:47 PM »
plenty of shore action,  just not for perch
That is correct. We sure can appreciate how fortunate we are to have access to such an incredible fishery from shore.  For me however, I can't justify traveling without the boat to fish . That's why we have them right? I'd be coming from the Kosciusko County area close to Warsaw.

abishop

« Reply #38 on: Mar 28, 2023, 11:31 AM »
Does anyone have an idea how long the perch will stay on the clay flats north of Gary Lighthouse? I am hoping the weather will give us some peaceful weather before they scatter. Want to get out when the nerves say it is ok.

abishop

« Reply #39 on: Mar 30, 2023, 10:33 AM »
Looks like it may be a productive day searching for perch. I messed up my ankle and wrist and hope a few days of care and rest and I will be back to my norm. Good luck for you guys who get out.

abishop

« Reply #40 on: Apr 04, 2023, 12:22 PM »
any reports?

fishinator

« Reply #41 on: Apr 04, 2023, 05:34 PM »
I haven't heard anything about perch but coho are definitely slowing down, at least from shore.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #42 on: Apr 06, 2023, 07:45 PM »
I finally went and picked up my boat today from the marina  (it still isn't finished ). Everything that is supposed to be covered under warranty and isn't done I will just complete myself. It's been an exhausting experience to say the least. As much as I want to hit the big pond this weekend, I now have made plans to leave very early Saturday morning to chase the walleye on St. Claire. Saturday and Sunday morning. Lake Michigan is about a 2 hour drive from me and Claire is about 3.5 so I'm fortunate to have those options. Good luck to everyone that's able to get out this weekend!! The weather guessers are calling for a beautiful weekend !!

abishop

« Reply #43 on: Apr 06, 2023, 09:11 PM »
I am planning on trying it on Monday. I am hoping someone else is planning on going after perch. It would be nice to know that there will be someone else out there just in case.

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #44 on: Apr 07, 2023, 04:30 PM »
Planning on trolling for coho tomorrow out of Michigan city .First time doing that.Has anyone picked up any since the weather has settled down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.