FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A slob tiger trout out of the pond  (Read 4359 times)

mr.clean

Re: A slob tiger trout out of the pond
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Taxid thank you for the photos you have raised some beautiful looking fish. I know your fish are pond raised and on a regular feeding schedule just curious if the weight and length is average size for a two year old tiger trout raised in captivity.
Steve

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Taxid thank you for the photos you have raised some beautiful looking fish. I know your fish are pond raised and on a regular feeding schedule just curious if the weight and length is average size for a two year old tiger trout raised in captivity.
Steve

I actually don't know as this is the first time for tigers for me. I do feed them more than a regular hatchery would do to the number of fish they rear and the fact that they need to buy more feed then I do. So I can afford to feed more. I go through about 2 bags of 50 lb. feed per month. A typical average trout hatchery probably goes through 25 or more. After overhead (electricity for well and aerator and diffuser and feed) I figure I get about $20.00 per pound for my trout to the taxidermy and replica market. A typical trout farm gets much less so they feed more conservatively. My big money makers are huge bluegills and yellow perch. Weigh less but get about as much per fish as the trout.

We did pull out a female tiger that was 19 inches long the other day at about over a month less than 2 years old. I think that's pretty good growth. That said if I had them indoors with steady controlled temps, (don't grow much over the winter outside) I think I could possibly have 18 inch fish in one year as the maximum growth rate for trout is 1.5 inches per month. 

Fish don't grow much over the winter in temps below 38 F. if at all. Even trout.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

mr.clean

« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Thank you for the reply . I now have a better understanding of why you hate to loose any fish to ospreys $20 dollars a pound for trout is good money .
Steve

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Awesome info Cecil!

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:28 PM »
B     U    T.

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:36 AM »
B     U    T.

For us old farts that don't know all the acronyms what does "B U T." mean? 

Or is this something else, as in the fact that they were basically farmed reared? If so, I don't pretend to compare this to native trout or trout planted in public waters. I post here as there are those here that find it interesting.

Had two older handicapped gentlemen that needed manual wheelchairs harvesting trout for me yesterday. They took out 22 for me. It wore them out but really made their day. :clapping: Biggest one was a beautiful male brook of 18 1/2 inches and  3 lbs. 5 1/2 ounces. Not a toad like the ones above just a big very colorful male brook trout in spawning colors.

Sorry no picture. That's the biggest brook trout so far this year. And the fish was a month under 2 years of age as I know exactly how old they are as I hatched them in my basement.

The biggest fish lengthwise are the tiger trout females at three in the 19 inch range.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2018, 09:00 AM »
B     U    T.

Read the three letters one at a time. B U T.

I think that’s what he meant. I took it as a compliment.

taxid

« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Read the three letters one at a time. B U T.

I think that’s what he meant. I took it as a compliment.

I'm not doubting it was but a compliment, but for the slow old codgers here all I get when I read it slow is:

B    U     T.  :rotflol:

zwiggles

« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:05 AM »
B U T = beauty

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2018, 06:58 PM »

seamonkey84

« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02:23 PM »
B U T = beauty
Bee
Uoo
Tee
Don’t worry, took me a min too. I was like “But” what?
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

zwiggles

« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Bee
Uoo
Tee
Don’t worry, took me a min too. I was like “But” what?

Same here. Took me a second to see what they meant.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.