FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: whaler for trolling?  (Read 5729 times)

porkpiehat

whaler for trolling?
« on: Dec 03, 2017, 11:26 PM »
I'm about to buy a 17' whaler (or McKee) for both fresh and salt water now that I'm fishing RI in the fall more. Does anyone troll the lakes in one?

Mac Attack

Re: whaler for trolling?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Trolled for walleye in one with a 60hp Yamaha 4stroke for 3 yrs.
It was 16' though
Old Whaler but new motor
Trolled great

Mac

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:23 AM »

A bud had an 18’ McKee we trolled for trout and salmon on Lake Ontario  , trolled great , in rougher water they don’t cut through like a deep V , just takes a little longer to get to your destination, solid boats

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:41 AM »
wind at iceout makes for one really cold and wet ride in a whaler, they perform better at sea than on a windy lake with 33 degree water

porkpiehat

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2017, 01:01 PM »
wind at iceout makes for one really cold and wet ride in a whaler, they perform better at sea than on a windy lake with 33 degree water

My thought is that in rough/windy days, my 16' lund gets tossed around a lot because it's so light. It rolls but feels overall stable. but the wind takes it and turns it around when I'm fighting the fish. My thinking is that A 17' whaler is much heavier and will do less of this. I think the newer hulls have less of a rough ride, but they plane pretty well and are made for rough housing.

Never driven one though. I would be wearing snowpants, waders and a parka. The center console has a high windshield, but I guess you're less exposed sitting down shielded by aluminum gunwales...Is that what you meant?

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2017, 01:22 PM »
my exprience was in an older montauk,  it took in a good amount of water heading into a heavey wind. most of the year im not to worried about that but iceout and heavey wind would be my maine concern. it doesnt cut thru the water like a deeper vee lund. now that was an older boat, have not been in a newer 17. i like to be comfortable, i fish an eastern lobster boat with full cuddy and roof.

porkpiehat

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:15 PM »
my exprience was in an older montauk,  it took in a good amount of water heading into a heavey wind. most of the year im not to worried about that but iceout and heavey wind would be my maine concern. it doesnt cut thru the water like a deeper vee lund. now that was an older boat, have not been in a newer 17. i like to be comfortable, i fish an eastern lobster boat with full cuddy and roof.

Oh I would love a roof and cabin! I fish alone too much to store and launch that stuff

fishlessman

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:01 PM »
my eastern is the smallest they did with a cabin, 19 foot, drafts about 12 inches. ive been towing it since 92 with a small dakota v6 (125 hp).  was at the boston boat show and i was down to a year old eastern and a new montauk whaler. it really came down to the whaler dealer pissing me off. its like your lund though, a side wind swings it right around

porkpiehat

« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2017, 07:52 PM »
haha what was the Whaler dealer like?
I'm looking at an outrage in addition to the Montauk. I think it's got a deeper v in the middle "hull".

JDK

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Growing up, I fished the Watch Hill reefs out of a 13 sport and a 17 Montauk.  As fishlessman said, the 17 was wet but solid.  IMHO it was a "big" 17 footer.  They pounded your brains out however.   Can't see where they wouldn't work for trollling.  Had a ball in both and some hairy times in that 13. 
# SAND

fishlessman

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:32 AM »
google whaler montauk bow dodger

i would put a dodger on the front for iceout fishing, then take it off the rest of the year

NewportMe

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2018, 12:42 PM »
I have trolled in a 17' Newport (same hull as montauk) and currently troll in a 22' outrage. Well trolling in the wind is a PITA on any boat. I cant think of any real drawbacks, but regardng the wind the 17' boats have a pretty low freeboard so wind shouldn't be a huge concern.

Bruce

porkpiehat

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2018, 01:39 PM »
so I'm guessing a t-top would add the that problem? I'll need either that or a bimini. the t-top would give me some bones to put some custom canvas on. I'm also getting a bow-mounted trolling motor with ipilot to hold course when I'm fishing alone, and to "anchor" while jigging.

joefishmore

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:14 AM »
T top is in the way for casting and offers very little protection plus 17 foot is kind of small for one.

porkpiehat

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2018, 11:10 AM »
I"m almost leaning now towards the full mills enclosure, based on the bimini, which can at least be folded out of the way when needed. beacoup cash for the set up though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.