FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2 stroke outboard thread  (Read 20496 times)

Mac Attack

Re: 2 stroke outboard thread
« Reply #60 on: Sep 05, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Issue resolved...well sort of.  I used the boat all weekend.  As lomg as the tank is near full the pickup is happy and all works well.  Got up to 39 on gps so not bad for a 19'6" boat.

That's great.
So, what will do?
Replace the tank?

lowaccord66

« Reply #61 on: Sep 05, 2017, 10:07 AM »

That's great.
So, what will do?
Replace the tank?

I need to Mac, there are fine air bubbles still which occasionally causes a high idle.  Contemplating replacing the 30 gal or just adding an external.  I have room and it would be easy to hook up before the water seperator.  (Although I hear some say an external doesnt really need the seperator.)

In any event, this is the outcome I wanted.  8k pays for a ton of fishing trips so Id rather leave it in the bank!

Mac Attack

« Reply #62 on: Sep 05, 2017, 10:28 AM »

(Although I hear some say an external doesnt really need the seperator.)

A water separator is cheap insurance.
With today's ethanol gas, the water needs to be dealt with.
I would run one.
I have one on my Lund and every Fall a small amount of water is trapped in it.
Water that would have gone through the motor.
I started using non-ethanol fuel this past summer and would normally be interested in the difference.
But I only just started using it, so there is probably water in the filter from the previous gas.
I'll let you know next year when I winterize it.
 :D

lowaccord66

« Reply #63 on: Sep 05, 2017, 12:56 PM »
It is cheap and it and the lines are all brand new this year!  Bust out another thousand!  Sure!

fishlessman

« Reply #64 on: Sep 05, 2017, 01:25 PM »
the ethynol gas destroys the rubber in the black bulbs ten times faster than the lines though ive had brand new lines separate within a months use. if you havent replaced the cheap bulb try that, the internal check valve might be malfunctioning in the bulb. another thing no one looks at is the tank vent getting blocked, vent line pinched, bug climbed up in there etc. though this gives you a no power when you give it gas. separated gas line is internal in the hose, you get gas, then no gas, wants to surge up and down.

lowaccord66

« Reply #65 on: Sep 06, 2017, 03:27 PM »
the ethynol gas destroys the rubber in the black bulbs ten times faster than the lines though ive had brand new lines separate within a months use. if you havent replaced the cheap bulb try that, the internal check valve might be malfunctioning in the bulb. another thing no one looks at is the tank vent getting blocked, vent line pinched, bug climbed up in there etc. though this gives you a no power when you give it gas. separated gas line is internal in the hose, you get gas, then no gas, wants to surge up and down.

You are right about the bulb.  The line and bulb are less than a month old but those atwood bulbs kind of suck and I dont like the factory bands the use for clamps over some nice worm gear clamps. 

I started researching new tanks...and ugh...thats a mission.  Problem being sometimes I will use 20 gallons.  Pretty large for an external tank. 

I will jam some weedwacker line in the vent to be sure its 100%.  I know it is venting but it doesnt hurt to be sure.

Other than that the looper is running as good as one would expect. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #66 on: Sep 06, 2017, 04:07 PM »
How about pulling out the original tank, emptying it, cleaning it, sealing and pressure testing it, and installing a new pickup and sending unit?
Where are you located?

There's a boat guy out east of me, maybe out near Syracuse.
He did my buddy's aluminum boat for him.
Tore all the floor out, replaced rivets and patched holes in an aluminum hull.
My buddy tore it real bad up in Canada and didn't have insurance.
Anyway, this guy did a fantastic job and was VERY reasonable.
Calling the guy doesn't cost much.
Just a thought.
Let me know.

Mac

lowaccord66

« Reply #67 on: Sep 06, 2017, 07:08 PM »
How about pulling out the original tank, emptying it, cleaning it, sealing and pressure testing it, and installing a new pickup and sending unit?
Where are you located?

There's a boat guy out east of me, maybe out near Syracuse.
He did my buddy's aluminum boat for him.
Tore all the floor out, replaced rivets and patched holes in an aluminum hull.
My buddy tore it real bad up in Canada and didn't have insurance.
Anyway, this guy did a fantastic job and was VERY reasonable.
Calling the guy doesn't cost much.
Just a thought.
Let me know.

Mac

I like that idea too, especially a referral.  I live in the Northwestern corner of CT.  So it would be a ride but I'd consider it especially around the end of December which is when I normally done using it.

There are a few odds and ends Id have a guy like that fix that the previous owner could have done better. 

The other thing, Mac, that is killing me is finding an enclosure for it.  I fish for pike all the way until ice up really could take advantage of one.  I have the original standup bimini that clips down to the windsheild it has zippers for the side curtains but it didn't come with them.  Its pretty shredded.  My buddy says buy one for a new alumcraft and we'll redo the snaps but idk.  Custom maybe?

Mac Attack

« Reply #68 on: Sep 06, 2017, 07:28 PM »
Nice ride.

Get a custom canvas guy to quote you on a decent (quality) enclosure for fishing.

If you were closer I could recommend a couple.
But I'm sure there are some near you.

Do NOT buy one for a specific boat and try to retrofit it.
It will cost you more and take a miracle to make it fit properly.
Have the canvas made to fit your boat.

Go around to the various boat dealers in your area.
And ask for the name and number of who does their canvas work.
Then go interview these people and ask to see some of their work.
Show them a photo or two of your boat and explain what you want.
And see what they suggest.
It will be worth your time and money.
Good canvas, if taken care of properly, will last a long time.

lowaccord66

« Reply #69 on: Sep 06, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Good suggestion I'll have to find a place.  It would make it easier to get the wife and kid to join me tog fishing this fall!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #70 on: Sep 08, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Jon, we got a kick-ass canvas place around here that has done all our previous canvas work, and some for other friends of mine too.   

Mac Attack

« Reply #71 on: Sep 08, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Here's the place that repaired my buddy's hull

Watercraft Clinic also known as Sampson Marine
6311 Waters Rd.
Red Creek, NY 13143
315-754-0050
Ask for Clint

Roccus

« Reply #72 on: Sep 13, 2017, 11:25 AM »
 I didn't read the whole thread... but... a common problem is the check valve in the fuel tank... it creates symptoms exactly like you describe...it looks like an elongated fitting but it actually has a check ball in it.. the E-10 eats the aluminum causing the valve to stick.. seen it many times.

run Star tron in any and all 2 stroke motors.. it'll save you a ton of grief...I've got 30 year old chain saws  that have never had a carb rebuild..

lowaccord66

« Reply #73 on: Sep 13, 2017, 01:47 PM »
I do run startron or stabil.  Thanks for the input Joe I will have to give it a look. Mac I will give that guy a call thank you!  In other news I went to troll the other morning 41 degrees and it fired right up!

Roccus

« Reply #74 on: Sep 13, 2017, 02:09 PM »
I do run startron or stabil.  Thanks for the input Joe I will have to give it a look. Mac I will give that guy a call thank you!  In other news I went to troll the other morning 41 degrees and it fired right up!

most outboards don't even need them because the check valves in the primer ball keeps the line primed... they need them on inboards so the fuel doesn't siphon back from the carbs all the way to the tank... unfortunately they are a Coast guard requirement  if someone actually looks during an inspection...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.