FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Lowrance and Garmin trolling motors  (Read 7702 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: New Lowrance and Garmin trolling motors
« Reply #30 on: Mar 28, 2020, 09:53 PM »
Got the motor installed today, it went fairly well. The hardest part was getting the batteries in the compartments and doing all the wiring. I'm using 6-gauge wire and it's pretty rugged to work with. did not have the onboard charger in stock at the marina on Friday oh, so I ordered it on Amazon. I got a 4 Bank 10 amp per Bank Minn Kota precision coming this week. Also decided to just get the spending over with and got a 9" Helix to network with the i-pilot. Hopefully will get a chance to try it all out later this week.

Mac Attack

« Reply #31 on: Mar 28, 2020, 10:24 PM »
Good luck Geoff
I love installations on my boats
Sounds like you’re having fun.

taxid

« Reply #32 on: Mar 29, 2020, 07:18 AM »
Got the motor installed today, it went fairly well. The hardest part was getting the batteries in the compartments and doing all the wiring. I'm using 6-gauge wire and it's pretty rugged to work with. did not have the onboard charger in stock at the marina on Friday oh, so I ordered it on Amazon. I got a 4 Bank 10 amp per Bank Minn Kota precision coming this week. Also decided to just get the spending over with and got a 9" Helix to network with the i-pilot. Hopefully will get a chance to try it all out later this week.

Sounds cool! Keep us posted.

I just love it when the brick and mortar stores complain we order too much online but they don't carry things in stock. Then they tell you they can order it for you. Well yeah I can do that too! My local hardware store does this a lot.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

« Reply #33 on: Mar 29, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Yeah, they just didn't have much stuff geared for 36v setups. I was surprised, they are the biggest Lund dealer around. They didn't even have terminals for 6ga wire. But they had 3 mounting trays as well as 3 Group 31 Interstate batts for me to buy. I cant get registered until next week anyway, so waiting for the battery charger is fine. I think Sunapee is still iced in, gonna take a ride later today just to see. Cant discharge these 3 huge batteries without being able to recharge immediately. Try to take good care of this $500 in batteries!
Mac, I am having fun doing the best I can for social distancing. Staying at home and doing boat projects. My only problem is the marine store I use is closed until further notice, so nothing big can happen. I was planning on doing the other half of my floor, ripping up the old carpet and doing vinyl, or maybe something else. But I'd have to get it all on Amazon or something!

I'm justifying this big upgrade financially in these uncertain times this way... I can now fish with autopilot solo much easier! I can net fish while the boat fights the wind instead of me. That's good because I'm not sure if anyone will fish with me at the moment.

taxid

« Reply #34 on: Mar 30, 2020, 08:54 AM »
I just put some money down on a Terrova set up for $1500.00. I could have bought it on line but as always decided I want to support my local bait store. Even if people stop picking up their fish mounts, I still have social security and my house is paid off, and no car payments. With one car in the family and the wife probably home from work, but still paid for the rest of the school year, I will have the vehicle to haul the boat around pretty much anytime I want.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

« Reply #35 on: Mar 30, 2020, 03:28 PM »
Good choice, I hope I'm not sorry I got the Ulterra, it already makes some weird noises when trimming up and down. Minn Kota gave me some advice over thd phone that I'm happy with, but we shall see if this motor is too troublesome. There sure is a lot going on. And I paid twice what you did although it's a 36v motor so even the Terrova was going to cost me 2400 minimum if I went with the Riptide with ipilot link.

taxid

« Reply #36 on: Mar 31, 2020, 12:08 AM »
Good choice, I hope I'm not sorry I got the Ulterra, it already makes some weird noises when trimming up and down. Minn Kota gave me some advice over thd phone that I'm happy with, but we shall see if this motor is too troublesome. There sure is a lot going on. And I paid twice what you did although it's a 36v motor so even the Terrova was going to cost me 2400 minimum if I went with the Riptide with ipilot link.

One thing the guy at the bait store told me was they had a lot less Terrovas brought in for repair vs. the Ulterra IIRR.  Another good reason to buy it there vs. online as they service them.

mcully

« Reply #37 on: Mar 31, 2020, 05:26 AM »
One thing the guy at the bait store told me was they had a lot less Terrovas brought in for repair vs. the Ulterra IIRR.  Another good reason to buy it there vs. online as they service them.
Bought my Terrova 36v through the marina putting my new boat together and his cost was $2300, plus wiring, batteries and charger. I'll say this though I sold my 2011 Sea Hunt last fall and the big motor- 115 Etech- only had 300 hours on it but I can't imagine you how many hours the riptide had on it with never going to the shop. Money well spent as long as they run right.

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: Apr 03, 2020, 09:45 PM »
I have to finish my install this weekend.  The 36v is setup, all agm.  Need to add the agm for the cranking battery and remove the stratos 2 bank charger and replace with this monster:

Mac Attack

« Reply #39 on: Apr 04, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Good unit - great decision.

Jethro

« Reply #40 on: Apr 11, 2020, 11:23 AM »
Yep, I put the 330PC in my boat for the trolling setup. I already had another unit for the house battery which I need to evaluate.. I'm not sure if it has the juice to handle my Helix 9, the 2 Scotty electric riggers and all the house electronics. Has anyone here run 2 cranking batteries in parallel to give some more capacity? My 6hp Merc kicker has a charging system but I don't know if it will help one house battery topped enough with all this draw. Will my outboard charge a 12v system in parallel?

taxid

« Reply #41 on: Apr 11, 2020, 12:34 PM »
I have about half down on my $1500.00 Terrova! I'm excited!

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #42 on: Apr 11, 2020, 12:41 PM »
I have about half down on my $1500.00 Terrova! I'm excited!
Sweet. You are going to love it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #43 on: Apr 11, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Yep, I put the 330PC in my boat for the trolling setup. I already had another unit for the house battery which I need to evaluate.. I'm not sure if it has the juice to handle my Helix 9, the 2 Scotty electric riggers and all the house electronics. Has anyone here run 2 cranking batteries in parallel to give some more capacity? My 6hp Merc kicker has a charging system but I don't know if it will help one house battery topped enough with all this draw. Will my outboard charge a 12v system in parallel?

You need to do the math Geoff.
What is the amperage of the alternator on the kicker.
And what is the amp draw for each unit running.
Remember that you won't operate the riggers only occasionally.
Find out what you will run, get their amps they draw, and add it all up.
Remember to look at any FM radio (music) you might run AND it's amplifier if you installed one.
Also the VHF marine radio if you have one - and you should have one.   8)

Put both of your main batteries thru a Perko isolation switch, one with an A, B, and BOTH setting.
Then you can use the "BOTRH" setting to crank with both batteries if ever needed.

I typically run on "A" until I start trolling.
Then switch to "B".
(My kicker is tied to the "B" battery)
This way, "A" is always charged to start the main motor for the ride back home.

Jethro

« Reply #44 on: Apr 14, 2020, 06:47 AM »
I have Scotty riggers and they supposedly have among the lowest draw among electric riggers so that is good. My VHF is a portable and rechargeable unit, so that helps. I have a simple stereo but I almost never use it because it doesn't bluetooth to my phone. Everytime I consider adding a bluetooth head unit I pass because I just use a portable bluetooth speaker.

My 6hp kicker probably doesn't have a very big alternator, I'll try to find out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.