FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Lowrance and Garmin trolling motors  (Read 7687 times)

Frankie Bags

New Lowrance and Garmin trolling motors
« on: Aug 13, 2019, 07:29 PM »
I like the idea of having brushless trolling motors. I wish they had the option to purchase without the built in transducer. Your paying for a lot for something you can’t use unless you have a compatible sonar unit. I’m sure that’s the idea.  Still amazing motors.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: New Lowrance and Garmin trolling motors
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Totally agree. I hear a lot about MK's newer motors having issues. This is sweet and good timing for me, but I am pretty sure they are going to target the bass fishing market first as I'm sure it's the bread and butter. I will be buying a system this coming spring for use on my coldwater trolling boat as an autopilot in conjunction with my gas kicker, and brushless would be great if it increases efficiency. Hoping they make some auto deploy models like the MK Ulterra which has been leading the pack for me. I'd like to have a Lowrance option and a Garmin is very interesting.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Totally agree. I hear a lot about MK's newer motors having issues. This is sweet and good timing for me, but I am pretty sure they are going to target the bass fishing market first as I'm sure it's the bread and butter. I will be buying a system this coming spring for use on my coldwater trolling boat as an autopilot in conjunction with my gas kicker, and brushless would be great if it increases efficiency. Hoping they make some auto deploy models like the MK Ulterra which has been leading the pack for me. I'd like to have a Lowrance option.

The Ultera is where they have had the majority of their problems Geoff.
That auto deploy/stow feature goes to crap and you then have a unit you cannot pull out of the water for the ride back into the dock.
If you get one, be sure to mount it on a quick release mount system.  Just in case.

Getting older, hauling up the 24VDC Terrova I have in rough seas is a scary deal.
A 36VDC unit would be even more fun.
I would love an auto deploy/stow Ultera, but not currently.

However, my Terova is an older unit.
The new ones have a lift assist device that helps with the weight of the unit.
Still, standing up front on the bow in 3-4' seas pulling up that motor with my 63 year old legs is scary.

I remember fishing with my dad when I was in my early 30's and watching him struggle walking around my 25' boat in relatively calm 1-2' waves.
He swore about it commenting, "I spent years in the Navy in all that rough water and I can't walk around here in this stuff to save my a$$".
Now I know what he spoke about.
Older and more feeble.
And he was the guy I inherited the neuropathy from too.

In any event, I wish they could get the problems sorted out on the Ultera.

Jethro

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2019, 08:45 AM »
I don't see how a quick release mount would help if the auto deploy/stow failed since the quick release plates (I have them on both my PowerDrive units currently) need to slide inboard. They have a stop that prevents the quick release from going outboard. So if it fails while deployed and it can't stow or move up manually I don't think you can remove the motor with the QR plate. And I was worried about that, so back to the top of the list goes the Terrova.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2019, 10:38 AM »
Thats why I like my Riptide quick release.  Its just a square the troller sits on rather than a slide!  Granted I dont have to worry about auto deploy and stow.  That's too fancy for me.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2019, 10:53 AM »
I don't see how a quick release mount would help if the auto deploy/stow failed since the quick release plates (I have them on both my PowerDrive units currently) need to slide inboard. They have a stop that prevents the quick release from going outboard. So if it fails while deployed and it can't stow or move up manually I don't think you can remove the motor with the QR plate. And I was worried about that, so back to the top of the list goes the Terrova.

You’re right Geoff.
It does slide aft.

Jethro

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Thats why I like my Riptide quick release.  Its just a square the troller sits on rather than a slide!  Granted I dont have to worry about auto deploy and stow.  That's too fancy for me.

That does seem better. It's kind of unwieldy to put the motor on my Sylvan when it's on the trailer and I'm on the ground. Little easier to do from inside the boat though.

The more I look the more excited I am about the Garmin system. I have both HB and Lowrance graphs right now and to be honest I'm not completely pleased with either one. I would be more than happy to move to another brand.

Does anyone know how the mapping software is with Garmin? I know they are leaders in GPS and maps, but bathemetry may be different. I want the best bathymetric charts out there. I know with GPS's the Garmins use a different vector file for maps than HB and Lowrance. I am sure that is by design. I don't think that Navionics works with Garmin but I may be wrong.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2019, 02:23 PM »
The mapping on my panoptix is good.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2019, 08:13 AM »
The lift assist on the Terrova does work very well. One thing about electronics theses days, it's constantly changing. If you don't like something that's offered today, pause, and they'll have something different tomorrow.

Jethro

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2019, 08:24 AM »
The mapping on my panoptix is good.

Was it included or do you buy maps separately? And what head unit did you get for the Panoptix? If you don't mind me asking.

fishinator

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2019, 11:23 AM »
$3000?? No thanks. I have less than that in my boat with an i-pilot. Besides remote failure I haven't had any issues.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Was it included or do you buy maps separately? And what head unit did you get for the Panoptix? If you don't mind me asking.

Had them included. I think its a 93cv plus...something like that.  9" touch screen.

Longshoremen

« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2019, 08:57 PM »
That does seem better. It's kind of unwieldy to put the motor on my Sylvan when it's on the trailer and I'm on the ground. Little easier to do from inside the boat though.

The more I look the more excited I am about the Garmin system. I have both HB and Lowrance graphs right now and to be honest I'm not completely pleased with either one. I would be more than happy to move to another brand.

Does anyone know how the mapping software is with Garmin? I know they are leaders in GPS and maps, but bathemetry may be different. I want the best bathymetric charts out there. I know with GPS's the Garmins use a different vector file for maps than HB and Lowrance. I am sure that is by design. I don't think that Navionics works with Garmin but I may be wrong.
Navionics merged with Garmin, Go on Navionics home page to learn more. You can upload new maps on older units.

Jethro

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2020, 06:59 AM »
Just an update to this old post, I have ordered and it may possibly be in today, a Minn Kota Ulterra, 36v, 112lb thrust, 60" shaft, with i-pilot link.

I seriously looked hard at the options from both Garmin and Lowrance but it is clear they don't have any interest in anything other than the bass boat/deck mount market. I can't use a motor that is a deck mount with a rope retrieve on my extremely deep V boat. Motorguide has a nice option but I think I am sold on the functionality of the i-pilot and would like the networking of the graph. Unfortunately I am married to Humminbird for a graph but I think I will just get a simple Helix 10 Mega with GPS only, and down the road I will get something Garmin offers for a second graph that I can add Panoptix to for hardwater.

Taking quite the chance on Minn Kotas most expensive, problematic, and complained about motor, but if it works I will be a very happy man. I would love to be able to keep my bow enclosure on during the colder part of the season and operate the motor from the cockpit. We will see...

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Just an update to this old post, I have ordered and it may possibly be in today, a Minn Kota Ulterra, 36v, 112lb thrust, 60" shaft, with i-pilot link.

I seriously looked hard at the options from both Garmin and Lowrance but it is clear they don't have any interest in anything other than the bass boat/deck mount market. I can't use a motor that is a deck mount with a rope retrieve on my extremely deep V boat. Motorguide has a nice option but I think I am sold on the functionality of the i-pilot and would like the networking of the graph. Unfortunately I am married to Humminbird for a graph but I think I will just get a simple Helix 10 Mega with GPS only, and down the road I will get something Garmin offers for a second graph that I can add Panoptix to for hardwater.

Taking quite the chance on Minn Kotas most expensive, problematic, and complained about motor, but if it works I will be a very happy man. I would love to be able to keep my bow enclosure on during the colder part of the season and operate the motor from the cockpit. We will see...

Keep us (me  ;)) posted on this please Geoff.
I'm also considering the Ultera for my 21' Trophy, but because of the deploy/store issues they have I may decide to stick with the Terova like I had on my Lund.
I have searched the internet hard over the past month or so trying to find info on Minn Kota having fixed the problem but I cannot find anything concrete.
You like to think that they have corrected or strengthened whatever was causing the issues.
And nobody rarely complains or documents success on something.
You only hear about things like this when people have trouble.
I even tried reaching out to Minn Kota tech support but they really didn't tell me anything.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Mac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.