FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Off topic - Opinions on Generac Whole House 22KW Generator  (Read 439 times)

Johnnh

We are so tired of power loss. Its decision time and we are strongly considering installation of a Generac 22 KW stand by generator.
Any opinions on the Generac are appreciated
Thanks
John

filetandrelease

Re: Off topic - Opinions on Generac Whole House 22KW Generator
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2024, 05:21 PM »
 My neighbor has gone through 2 motors 1 was 13 days out of warranty , according to him ,  , he got that motor replaced but had to pay the labor the other was within warranty, read their  reviews ,

KingPerch

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2024, 07:39 PM »
Being a contractor, we’ve built homes and projects, where customers wanted back up generators. A few of the ones we coordinated to have installed, were the Generac brand. Those failed or had issues. Most times it was the generator itself, one was the engine. The service from the supplier was horrible. List that unit with your insurance company when having it installed. Submit all of the paperwork for the warranty. Do some good research on generators before buying.
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2024, 09:41 PM »
I have a commercial sized water cooled Generac for my household and my parents that live in an apartment above my garage. (32 K I think?) I've had some issues, but for the most part am very happy with it. Service had been pretty good for me.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2024, 08:50 AM »
 My neighbor, has gone through 2 motors in a touch over 2 years 1 engine was just 13 days past warranty , it was a battle , good thing his buddy does it for a living , on that 1 they replaced the motor but he payed the labor , other was was covered
 Look at generacs reviews ,

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2024, 09:43 AM »
My opinion would be to avoid Generac at all costs for a dedicated, pad mounted whole house generator. They are disposable units. Just last year had to replace the one I had installed less than 12 years ago because it was apparently shot and no longer serviceable, even though I had it maintained professionally every year. Replaced it with a Kohler but also looked at Honeywell. Both were easily 40% more money than a comparable spec Generac unit, but now that I know more, it's less money in the long run. Properly maintained the "pro" level ones are 30 year units, easily. Generac doesn't fall into that category. Wish I knew this 12 years ago. 

Johnnh

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2024, 10:00 AM »
Jethro,
Did you get the kohler from Yestramski in Contoocook?

BassMaster12

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2024, 09:55 AM »
I bought a house in the Littleton area almost exactly a year ago, it already had a less than 2 year old 14kw Generac installed. Had it serviced once just to stay on top of maintenance, cost a little over $200. This past winter we lost power a couple times at least and it worked flawlessly except one time it didn't shut off when the power came back on. There's a company in town that services them and they are great, I think they came out and fixed it either same day or if not it was within 24 hours, don't completely remember. I believe it was just a small fuse they had to replace. It burned through a lot of propane in that time, next time they filled up it was over $300 to top off the tank which is higher than normal. Never really looked into the longevity or reviews on them as it came with the house and from what I know probably cost $5kish to have one bought and installed, from what I understand. However from what others have said, I didn't know how many issues they can have, I'll keep that in mind as it gets older and do a little more homework on them myself.
_Icecold_ on the shanty

Johnnh

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2024, 05:16 AM »
Thanks for all the input. It looks like more homework ahead.
The project ahead includes a 300 gal tank that I can rent for 100 per year,  Installing  a manifold to feed the generator and grill, dig trench for propane line and another trench for power to house (i will do that with my backhoe),. Generator install by vendor to be determined.
22kw generator install prices are running in the $11,000 range.
The good side is no more food loss and all electric will work as normal

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2024, 08:14 AM »
Why not a smaller inverter generator.
One large enough to run the important stuff.
Some lights, fans, freezer, fridge, furnace, etc.
Not the entire house.
I have a 30A Champion that I mounted on the tongue of my camper.
It will power my entire house, without running the AC or electric stove/oven.
I have also run a few cords from it to 3 of the neighbors so they could power their fridges and charge cell phones.

Johnnh

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2024, 11:14 AM »
Mac,
We are planning on getting away from dragging a generator out of the shed and plugging it into the house. Tired of generator watch and buying non ethonal gas at stupid prices. I am getting up in years and automatic whole house fits our needs better.
Yes it's costly, but will be more comfortable

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2024, 11:24 AM »
It was just a thought to save some bucks.
Lots of generators out there dual fuel - gasoline and propane.  So the “generator minding” is easier with the propane.
Mine is only gas.
Wish I had thought about propane when I bought it.  Mine will run my camper for 9-10 hrs, with AC running, so I can go thru the night.

But I get it.

Good luck!

Johnnh

« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2024, 11:56 AM »
Good points Mac.
Note, I looked at a bunch of generator sheds on You Tube and had an interest in building.one to house a portable generator
Our town will not allow that.
John

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2024, 12:22 PM »
That rule/law is crazy.
Keeps the generator safe and out of the elements.
Also keeps your neighbors happy by keeping things quieter.

What is their reasoning?

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2024, 12:26 PM »
I run the house on a 16kw generac pad mounted whole house generator.  Geoff I think you have bad luck with good stuff from what I know of you! 

Longest run was 8 days straight.  I have it serviced annually and no issues.  If you let them go long enough without adjusting valve lash to spec you will absolutely ruin them, like any other small engine.  Mine runs on propane.  After a while the noise gets old but its better than no power.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.