FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishermen/women who are or were in the military  (Read 7809 times)

charlie

Re: Fishermen/women who are or were in the military
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2004, 06:12 PM »
I was drafted in 1968,right out of high school...served two years in the Army....spent 18 months in Europe ,Germany ......did permanent guard duty the whole time for a pershing miisle unit.When I wasnt on guard duty it was on KP.You guys remember those good times.

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2004, 06:19 PM »
5th Special Forces (Green Beret)
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

1fishinfool

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2004, 07:00 PM »
United States Army Supply Sergeant
1978- 1998

Stationed in Fort Devens, Ma. most of my time in the states.  Great saltwater fishing, nothing like hooking schooley stripers on top water lures till your arms hurt. Or chasing schools of blues!!   Germany was mostly carp & trout fishing in stocked ponds.  The carp were actually had really white meat & were considered fine table fair.  Korea was a stocked pond / area for largemouth bass that would hit almost anything, later found out we were not supposed to be there. OOPS ;)  Seoul had a little Bass Pro Shop & several fish pole factories.  Last assignment was at Fort Drum, though I spent most of that 22 months elsewhere. Among those,  the  best place was Panama, fished for Peacock bass, man can they fight.  A two pounder put a smallie to shame. Had tarpoon that looked bigger than the 16 footer we were in come up & role near us.

Vince 

seaweed01

« Reply #18 on: Mar 24, 2004, 07:20 PM »
Spent 20 yrs in Navy from 1958 - 1977. Traveled all over US, just about everywhere in Europe and Mid-East, from North Atlantic to South America. Lived in Italy for three years (used to troll around the Isle of Capri for Tuna), stationed in Morocco, North Africa for four years where I caught largemouth bass, walleyes, northerns and even rainbow trout.  Always caught a lot of
saltwater fish wherever we were living. Hunting in N. Africa was fananstic, but that is another story.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2004, 11:58 PM »
This has nothing to do with fishing but I was wondering if someone could answer this question.

It has to do with the numbers of soldiers in a squad, platoon, division, batallion, army and such. Like how many squads in a platoon and how many platoons in a ...... and so on.

In the Army:

Squad: 9-10 soldiers
Platoon: 16-44 soldiers (2-4 squads)
Company: 62-190 soldiers (3-5 platoons)
Battalion: 300-1,000 soldiers (4-6 companies)
Bridgade or Regminent or Group: 3,000-5,000 soldiers (2-5 battalions)
Division: 10,000-15,000 soldiers (3 brigades)
Corps: 20,000-45,000 soldiers (2-5 divisions)
Army: 50,000 plus soldiers (2 or more corps)

Thanks Cider,

I have always been very interested in the military and it's workings. MAIL CALL;History Channel, is my one of my favorite programs. This subject came up once on that show but I missed it. I've spent hours down at at the Legion talking to vets about this question and all had different #'s. Of course we are always pretty sauced when talking about it. From the looks of it, it does vary quite a bit.
Harold

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2004, 06:31 AM »
USAF from 1983 to 1987 as a Biomedical Equipment Technician.
Spent all my time stateside. Was stationed only one place after tech school - Biloxi, MS. I appreciate the education I received in the military as I'm still doing the same job I was trained for in there. Was able to see lots of the southeast U.S during semi-annual TDY trips.  It was one of the smartest decisions I ever made. I wish more kids would go through the military. I know it straightened me out and gave me a fantastic education.
Ken A.

fozsey

« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2004, 06:46 AM »
After reading all of the posts, I have one thing to say. My hat is off to all of you. I was denied all 4 services for medical reasons in 1987 and I still would go today if they would take me. Thanks to all of you.  ;)

Brian

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2004, 07:56 AM »
USMC from 1990 to 1998
GRUNT
Okinawa,Korea,29plams, Saudi,and North Carolina, Mainly. Got hooked on Catfishing there. Loved it should've never got out.
SEMPER FI
Redneck
Hey Redneck, wasn't 29 Palms a lovely place? I was there for 13 months of school, participated in Operation Eagle, and used to run past the "lakes" every day at noon (100+ degrees). For fun we would drive to Parker dam in Arizona and float tube the river. Got some really nice catfish there (when we weren't chasing the local females in their bikinis)
Semper Fi
FTD

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2004, 08:06 AM »
To all the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Coasties that served their time overseas.
WELCOME HOME and THANKYOU
FTD
USMC

Cider

« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2004, 08:40 AM »
I've spent hours down at at the Legion talking to vets about this question and all had different #'s. 

As was already mentioned on this thread, the numbers aren't set in stone.  It largely depends upon the type of unit you are talking about, what their mission is, what is on their list of authorized equipment, and the theatre that they are stationed in.  This is just a general guideline that should give you a rough idea of military structure/organization and roughly the size of the units.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2004, 06:21 PM »
Thee United States Navy,  1992-1996.  ABH3  I served on board the USS Iwo Jima for 1 year,  decomishioning her to Philly.  On board the Iwo I went to Spain,  Portugal, Scicily,  Italy,  Greece,  and many places in the US including pulling in to New Orleans during Mardi Gras on my 22nd Birthday.  The next 3 years I was attached to the USS Enterprise.  For 2 of the 3 years,  along with TReed942000,  I helped put her back together from a major overhaul.  I did not go on cruise with the Big E,  but I did get to Fla to do a drift fishing trip that completely soured me on ocean fishing.

Being from MN,  the water I am used to tends to be fairly flat.  After a few big rollers and Hurricane's,  I became used to a good bit of rocking and rolling on the high seas and had no fear of what was to come of a small craft drift.  This fishing trip turned out to be the trip from he!!.  There were 12-15 foot swells that did nothing to help with my mood for fishing.  I did not help with chumming,  but I did lay my head on the rail for the whole trip and kept the King's thriving off the coast of Ft Lauderdale.

I very much enjoyed my time in the military and I met some great people;  TReed942000 being one of them.  I try not to hold the fact that he is from IA against him,  but I did turn him on to this site and on to the hardwater fishing.  I honor all those who have and are serving,  even if they are Jar Heads.

One note for you Jarheads.  We don't micd giving you guys a ride anywhere.  We like to travel as much as anyone.  We just prefer to stay at the hotel instead of the tent.

jacksmelt

« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2004, 11:20 PM »
I SPENT 4YRS IN THE ARMY AS A MILITARY POLICE FROM 89' TO 93'. WAS STATIONED IN ALABAMA , KOREA, AND NEW MEXICO. HAD SOME AWESOME BASS FISHING EXPERIENCES IN THE DEEP SOUTH, AND SOME GOOD BASS + TROUT FISHING OUT WEST. WHAT LITTLE I DO KNOW ABOUT BASS I LEARNED WHILE IN THE SERVICE. NO BASS IN THE WATERS  UP THIS WAY. SOME OF THE BIGGEST TROUT IVE EVER CAUGHT WAS FROM REMOTE LAKES IN THE MOUTAINS OF NEW MEXICO. A EXPERIENCE ILL NEVER FORGET!

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Apr 03, 2004, 09:40 PM »
United States Marine Corps,  1983 and still serving.  I've been stationed in Tennesee, California, Okinawa Japan, Chicago, Texas, and New York.  Spent the whole time working and flying as a Flight Engineer on the Marine KC-130 Battle Herk.  I've been fortunate in the fact that I have seen so many different places, to many countries to list actually.  Have flown to and spent time in just about every State in this country and if there is fishing opportunities in the area I almost always bring a fishing outfit along.  Spent 6 months over in the middle East  last spring and even though I didn't get to do any fishing, the flying we did was AWESOME!!!!!.  I have pictures of my aircraft on a highway 50 mile south of baghdad during an emergency resupply mission.  You don't get to land on them to many times.  I really love what I do and look forward to serving for another year or two. 

Semper Fi
Steve

Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.