FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hudson River Striped Bass....  (Read 50985 times)

bigreel

Re: Hudson River Striped Bass....
« Reply #60 on: Apr 17, 2012, 04:44 PM »
dock is not in @ RENS. as of today when i left.

KillerBee42

« Reply #61 on: Apr 17, 2012, 09:12 PM »
  Lets see some pics of those cows!!!!  :D

here's a calf  :D

Da Slab Ossassin

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #62 on: Apr 18, 2012, 11:33 AM »
can someone tell me , where there is a boat launch and a baitshop thats close to the launch in the albany area! so we can get a few tips for fishing stripers ! its are first time  doing this type of fishing! any input would be greatly appreciated!

Get some sabiki rigs and catch your own bait, Dicks carries them out that way. Throw the herring in the livewell and keep the pump circulating or they will croak.  I lived in the capital district for a lot of years and didn't start striper fishing until the last couple years I was out there, it was a blast, wish I started earlier. It is pretty easy, just need some heavy lead 2- 6 oz depending on current, circle hooks, some 3-way swivles and a reel with clicker on it, when they take the bait they rip with it.  Most guys anchor but I did well drifting, lower the bait the bottom then bring it up about 2 ft, stick in the rod holder, put the clicker on, and drift.  Watch the depth finder and adjust your bait as the depth changes.  You can cover a long stretch like this and find some fish.   
shut up and fish

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #63 on: Apr 18, 2012, 01:19 PM »
1 of 3 I landed this morning. 34"

NYSporty

« Reply #64 on: Apr 18, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Not bad..
I hope I hit a good run when I go may 4th.

masoneddie

• Happiness is a bent rod....Doh!
« Reply #65 on: Apr 18, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Nice striper bauis25, hope to get on some this weekend. Thanks for sharing the picture.

TimberKing

« Reply #66 on: Apr 18, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Is anyone fishing around Newburgh?
 Dwight

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #67 on: Apr 18, 2012, 09:00 PM »
1 of 3 I landed this morning. 34"

Nice fish. Going Sunday , never got one over 8lbs

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #68 on: Apr 18, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Nice fish. Going Sunday , never got one over 8lbs

Your gonna love it Addam, I used to fish the Sound alot back in the day...heres an older shot back when I knew you before you went into the service Addam.  Great fish Paul and killerbee.  ;D

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #69 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:21 PM »
This will be ny first time fishing them in the hudson. Got a call today that a charter had a opening Sunday.

step2jimi

« Reply #70 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:32 PM »
You guys are killing me. I'm a week behind due to motor troubles but the boats running better then ever now and I just picked up two new baiteunners. Question for some of u, iv used the baitrunners and really like them. Ihad a guy telling me that they are junk and not to get them cause they will never work as good as a baotcastwr. Any opinions? He was telling me this stuff at ducks maybe it was just his store.

NYSporty

« Reply #71 on: Apr 19, 2012, 07:10 AM »
You guys are killing me. I'm a week behind due to motor troubles but the boats running better then ever now and I just picked up two new baiteunners. Question for some of u, iv used the baitrunners and really like them. Ihad a guy telling me that they are junk and not to get them cause they will never work as good as a baotcastwr. Any opinions? He was telling me this stuff at ducks maybe it was just his store.

Baitrunner's are king for stripers.
I have one now that still has the skunk on it.
But my first striper trip my friend had them and he taught me to use my spinning reel to get the same effect.
First we set the drag to where it should be and marked it with 2 dots of nail polish that lined up.
Then after the cast in the rod holder he loosened the drag just to where the current didn't pull line.
On the hook set you palm the spool and use your hand as the drag while setting the drag to line up the dots.
I have been quite good at it so far I'm 3 for 3.
I hear that clicker in my dreams but always wake up on the hook set LOL
This is my first and bigest I'm hooked for life

Big Tupper

« Reply #72 on: Apr 19, 2012, 08:12 AM »
Little off subject but how the heck can you anchor on an incoming tide--I do not like to drift fish there is always two many boats, but havent found a way to have any control while anchoring on any tide but an out going tide. As soon as it goes slack or incoming I am lost......   Is it possible to still catch stripers anchoring in an incoming tide or do you need to start drifting....

dmntd169

« Reply #73 on: Apr 19, 2012, 08:25 AM »

It all depends on the brand of baitrunner. I've learned the hard way to stay away from the Okuma's unless you remember to test them everytime you set them. Lost 2 rods because the baitrunners never engaged when set  >:( >:(   Have had buddies who have had the same problems with them as well. Only Okuma products I've ever had problems with
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

step2jimi

« Reply #74 on: Apr 19, 2012, 08:56 AM »
And of coarse that's what I got. What do you mean didn't ingage like when you set the switch to freespool it was still locked?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.