FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Streak's Still Alive......But It's Been A Tough Winter on Soft Water  (Read 2857 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
When I signed myself up to fish open water in Maine all year, I knew it would be a tough journey in the winters. March was all that and then some.  There was more than one time when I felt that my back was against the wall due to borderline conditions and water that seemed to be devoid of anything with fins. My father-in-law passed away on the 8th. He was 89 and in somewhat brittle health, but as a tough as nails, retired army colonel he never really let on how lousy he probably felt, making his passing feel sudden. At first, it made things like a fishing streak seem petty and something I should let go.  Then, it made me confront my own mortality.  I realized that with the streak nipping at 11 years, I would be pushing 80 to get back to that point if I had to start over. (asking a bit much :laugh:)  Strike up Seals & Crofts  ;) I fought on and put a fish in the net on the 17th, extending my Maine open water trout/salmon streak to 11 years (132 months). 

To say that conditions in March were changeable would a serious under statement.  No more tip toeing over many feet of shelf ice, but remaining floe ice was a definite obstacle. Couldn't walk over it, but it was surely in the way is some prime holding spots.

Shore ice was abundant in many places and obscured the rocky terrain.  A recipe for ankle sprains and I ended up with both legs getting tweaked.  The one with a prior surgery bounced back OK, and the other one is at least "fishable."

There was enough open, clear water on the big river for good drifts with my favored bobber and jig combo.

The bobber only got pulled under once that day and it wasn't by a big fish, but it still took a lot of pressure off. 8)

Smaller water remained pretty much locked up or, at best, with open runs that couldn't be reached until the last week of the month.

In my searches, I did find an interesting track in the snow.  I'm left to wonder about this one :o

The month ended with a melt down and high water.  Water was up in the trees or ripping in many spots.

Even with a wading staff, options were limited.  Tail waters were high, but resulted in my 3rd and 4th hits of the month.  I put a decent  4 year old salmon in the net.

As a wrap-up, March and February were extremely slow.  I got on the water 18 times and compiled a 3-15 record.  A grand total of 5 hits.  Granted, hook and line fishing isn't the most effective sampling technique.  However, a steep decline over recent years is noted.  In previous January/February's, I went 10-0 in 2018, 13-0 in 2019, 10-2 in 2020, and 6-5 in 2021.  That says something, and the drop off was particularly dramatic in brown trout.  The State shifted over to stocking the Seeforellen strain of browns in the past few years.  I am a bit haunted by this wording from their report on the Experimental Brown Trout Program - Brown Trout Strain Field Comparisons......"BNT strain evaluations in riverine environments would also prove beneficial".  I've heard some positive things about the Seeforellens in lakes, but all I can do in flowing water is to keep casting and hoping.

On to April, waiting on the Opener and more available options.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Nice job Jim as always.
 As far as the tracks they look like otter prints?
 You may not be the only one fishing there… ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Steve H.

Nice report once again.  Your perseverance is impressive. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jim C.

Thanks. An otter could well be the answer.

Nice job Jim as always.
 As far as the tracks they look like otter prints?
 You may not be the only one fishing there… ;)

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Tough is an understatement Jim. 😮 yikes. Ice fishing wasn’t all that great. You didn’t miss much. The ice went FAST pretty much everywhere by mid month. My last outing was March 15.

Jim C.

Sounds about right on the ice timing, Nick.  My one March outing was on the 14th.  The was ice ample then, but going downhill.  The panfish were nuts on my outing...jigged well over 100.  My wife thinks I'm nuts for not doing that all the time, rather than breaking my arse for a few fish with spots ;D

Tough is an understatement Jim. 😮 yikes. Ice fishing wasn’t all that great. You didn’t miss much. The ice went FAST pretty much everywhere by mid month. My last outing was March 15.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Sounds about right on the ice timing, Nick.  My one March outing was on the 14th.  The was ice ample then, but going downhill.  The panfish were nuts on my outing...jigged well over 100.  My wife thinks I'm nuts for not doing that all the time, rather than breaking my arse for a few fish with spots ;D
Lol you n me both nuts

TightLinesMaine

The streak lives! Wicked solid salmon, not just for March but i'd be happy with that any month!  Grats Jim

Assuming you're venturing out, do you have a game plan for this friday? I'm struggling right now with the decision to fish for small water wild brook trout or go for big tail water salmon/trout this Friday... can't realistically do both unfortunately

Jim C.

Thanks, Randall.  My Friday plans are on small water for natives.  Have 3 spots that I will rotate through as needed.

The streak lives! Wicked solid salmon, not just for March but i'd be happy with that any month!  Grats Jim

Assuming you're venturing out, do you have a game plan for this friday? I'm struggling right now with the decision to fish for small water wild brook trout or go for big tail water salmon/trout this Friday... can't realistically do both unfortunately

Smallmouth Squarepants

Great job and post as always Jim. Condolences on the loss of your FIL. I managed to get the kayak out two weeks ago and got a couple of largies on a pond that had iced out the week prior. Prob gonna hit it tomorrow or Sunday again.

Jim C.

Thanks for your thoughts and congrats on the bass.  It's amazing how fast they turn on up here.  They have to....it's a short growing season ;D

Great job and post as always Jim. Condolences on the loss of your FIL. I managed to get the kayak out two weeks ago and got a couple of largies on a pond that had iced out the week prior. Prob gonna hit it tomorrow or Sunday again.

lowaccord66

The results aren't from a lack of effort Jim.  Thanks for sharing.

fish wayniac

Jim, You fishing open water all year is a accomplishment in it self. You caught fish to keep the streak alive .This month will be better for you.
 I had a slow ice fishing season and are looking forward to open water. I’m getting the boat un covered this weekend . Thinking a shake down troll on 4/9 . I hope to get some fish in the net.

Smallmouth Squarepants

Thanks for your thoughts and congrats on the bass.  It's amazing how fast they turn on up here.  They have to....it's a short growing season ;D
They definitely looked like the winter had been hard on em (one had a gnarly hook wound that must have come during hardwater, both had the head and length of 4lbers but were maybe 2.5 at most, really skinny). Positive is that I didn't have to slow down and throw a drop shot or suspended jig (even though I was-looking for crappie that never showed), just worked the middle of this 5' pond slowrolling a spinnerbait and made it happen.

I can't wait to get back up your way once some of the waters we've talked about before get their trout stocking. I'll be there with bells on (and a variety of big trout shaped baits to catch some hungry bass).

Jim C.

I look forward to seeing/hearing about the monsters you catch.  If I run into any, I'll give you the heads up.

I can't wait to get back up your way once some of the waters we've talked about before get their trout stocking. I'll be there with bells on (and a variety of big trout shaped baits to catch some hungry bass).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.