FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Morels and fungi  (Read 2933 times)

seamonkey84

Morels and fungi
« on: Mar 31, 2022, 11:48 PM »
Bit off topic, but i figure people here are the types to ask. Anyone in the Cumberland county area do any mushroom hunting? I’ve recently gotten into the whole mycology thing, mostly as a biology curiosity and fascination since I don’t actually like eating mushrooms  :P. The fascination goes along with my gardening habits of growing things for the heck of it, tomatoes and peppers that I give away and don’t eat myself.
So my main thing is to practice some of the identification skills, and hopefully collect a sample of certain types to try and cultivate and grow. Morels in particular have caught my attention (of course). I’ve leaned that they’re in Maine, but not common. I would like to arrange a trip with someone for the purpose of learning or collecting samples. I know I can order cultures of different types online, but finding a local variety would be ideal. If it comes to it, North Spore mycology supplies is right here in Westbrook and they sell a local culture, but at a price higher than I’d like to pay. But Doesn’t get more local than finding it up the street from them. So other than being a weirdo looking at the sidewalk and into peoples yards of Westbrook, I’d like to get some pointers or meet up. At the least, maybe get a single mushroom from someone who finds them. I‘d just like it dug up at the base completely intact if possible. since they’re hollow, cutting them would expose the sterile tissue inside. Hell, I don’t even need to keep the mushroom, a needle biopsy or two is technically enough.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fish wayniac

Re: Morels and fungi
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2022, 05:32 AM »
Hi Chi, I don’t have any info on wild mushrooms. On the Hunting forum they have a category for mushrooms. https://www.myhuntingforum.com/hunting_forum/index.php?board=60.0

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2022, 07:06 AM »
Oh, I forget about that forum  :P. I’ll check there.
Happy raining opening day  ;D
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

woodchip1

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2022, 09:12 AM »
My favorite Mushrooms are CHAGA  and  Oyster ,  i collect a lot of them every year.

woodchip1

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2022, 09:12 AM »
My favorite Mushrooms are CHAGA  and  Oyster ,  i collect a lot of them every year.

9huskies

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2022, 02:14 PM »
I've had some luck finding morels in abandoned apple orchards.

seamonkey84

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2022, 07:51 AM »
From everything I’ve seen and read, oysters are close the the easiest mushrooms to grow! I want to grow some good and pink oysters just for the fun of it and they look cool.

I've had some luck finding morels in abandoned apple orchards.

I’ve heard those are good places to look, just need to be careful of the heavy metal chemicals they used back in the old days. 

woodchip1

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2022, 04:10 PM »
My friends and i have been growing Shittake mushrooms on oak logs for many years they are easy and you get a good harvest if you have the oaks in semi sun and get them moist, They need to be where you can see them Dailey .When conditions are right they grow fast.

regulator

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2022, 06:55 PM »
Here is a great site I have been referencing the past couple years.

https://www.morels.com/forums/

https://www.morels.com/forums/new-york.183/

woodchip1

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2022, 08:46 PM »
Ive been getting my plug spores in Damariscotta.

seamonkey84

« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2022, 10:45 AM »
My parents and relatives do go through a decent amount of dried shittake, but I would need to use sawdust substrate or something since I’m growing indoors. I am planning on growing pink and gold oysters, mostly because they’re pretty, but also to eat. I have a culture of lions Mane started, and I got cultures of cordyceps that I’m going to be growing in jars or totes.

jacksmelt

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2022, 06:48 PM »
ive grown alot of oysters on hardwood pellets in heavy plastic bags. plenty of tutorials on how to do it online. the extruding process sterilizes the pellets. just reconstitute with boiling water. you have a sterile medium. oysters colonize pellets so fast, no mold can get started in there. ive got alot of flushes out of a 3 gal bag full.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

seamonkey84

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2022, 10:43 AM »
I just got a few pieces of store bought golden oysters to agar. I’m only seeing bacteria growth on 2 of the three pieces I took, hope I can get some mycelium from the third so I can get a transfer to clean up. Good thing I got some small jars and agar powder to make my own, at just over $2 each, getting pre made ones is going to add up quick with doing transfers and testing liquid cultures.
I broke down and ordered a Cali landscaping morel culture, they pop up in disturbed grounds, lawns, and wood chip mulch beds. Figured at least I’d have them to experiment with if I can’t find any local varieties. On that note, with people growing all these different  mushrooms, golden oysters have “escaped” and began to spread in the south. Would trying to colonize a west coast morel here be another “invasive”.

woodchip1

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2022, 07:24 AM »
Stay out of my beds!!!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2022, 03:26 PM »
I grew some Lion's Mane recently (North Spore kit), really easy and they were really good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.