FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing early season  (Read 3717 times)

Steve H.

Re: Fishing early season
« Reply #15 on: Apr 28, 2022, 09:31 AM »
Recently came across a new stickbait that has a mirror-like panel fastened with two springs inside the plastic body.  Supposed to catch more light on the wobble and shimmer a certain way that is "sure to trigger a bite."  Seems like more hype than anything but I can't remember the name of the bait or who makes it.  Have you stickbait aficionados seen or tried these?  Just can't see paying more for a stickbait than what Rapala is asking for their X-Raps ($13).  Even that price point stings.  Hence my reliance on the box full of old HJs I bought years ago.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #16 on: Apr 28, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Rapala made some like that.  I never throw them dont know why.  Personally I am more of a natural colors type of guy.  The xraps do just fine too.  You can save a ton if you find a collection of them for sale on ebay.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #17 on: Apr 28, 2022, 11:41 AM »
Recently came across a new stickbait that has a mirror-like panel fastened with two springs inside the plastic body.  Supposed to catch more light on the wobble and shimmer a certain way that is "sure to trigger a bite."  Seems like more hype than anything but I can't remember the name of the bait or who makes it.  Have you stickbait aficionados seen or tried these?  Just can't see paying more for a stickbait than what Rapala is asking for their X-Raps ($13).  Even that price point stings.  Hence my reliance on the box full of old HJs I bought years ago.
That's the Shimano World Winnow that I was talking about - https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_WM-World_Minnow_Flash_Boost_Jerkbait/descpage-WMFB.html . Like I said, it has already caught fish for me, so it did its job. They might still have some at KTP on sale (don't quote me on that though), I picked mine up for 12 during the salesman's sale. And I agree that it stings to spend more money, but especially with the Japanese baits I find you get what you pay for. Especially during the early spring I want a bait that will stay suspended if I let it sit for up to 10 seconds, and will move with the right pattern that will trigger the bite. I will not throw any of my pricier baits in Pike or Musky waters, and if there are picks around I'll still think twice and probably will switch to a Rapala ripstop or the KVD minnow

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #18 on: Apr 28, 2022, 11:43 AM »
Also on the Rapala tip, the Shadow Raps are not half bad either.

Steve H.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 28, 2022, 12:50 PM »
Also on the Rapala tip, the Shadow Raps are not half bad either.

Good to know on the Shadow Raps.  Was planning to pick up a few of those for my upcoming smallie trips.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2022, 10:25 AM »
Good to know on the Shadow Raps.  Was planning to pick up a few of those for my upcoming smallie trips.

Send address Ill send you two I dislike with a passion for free. 

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2022, 11:13 AM »
Let me guess: The slow sinking Shadow Rap Deep  ;D

Steve H.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2022, 12:21 PM »

Thanks but I don't want any bad mojo!  I have a hard enough time as it is! 

Was just at Dick's and they had carbon and bone.  Almost bought the bone but then didn't.

Steve H.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2022, 04:42 PM »
Stuck a couple today on the X-Rap. Tough bite though with themp at ~47 deg.

Steve H.

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2022, 05:05 PM »
A bunch of nice salmon too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.