FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wet Wading  (Read 1389 times)

bogtrotter

Wet Wading
« on: May 13, 2022, 08:06 PM »
Today, the streams were relatively low and warm, so I went wet wading (in Kroc's and swim trunks) for the first time this season.

It was sunny and warm (85 degrees).

I fished the South Hoosic for about an hour and a half after work - - from Cheshire Harbor down to a little below Elm Rock.

My efforts yielded a 14" rainbow beneath Burnett/Bednarz bridge, a 12" one just above the footbridge downstream from there, and a 13" one below the small roll dam above Elm Rock.

stripernut

Re: Wet Wading
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 06:37 AM »
Once my knees get cold I am done... I only wet wade in Florida, my breathable waders are my friend. Congrats on the fish!

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 07:51 AM »
2x my waders stay wet all year.  Great work Jim.  See you up there soon.

Ryan51993

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 10:02 AM »
I'm anti waders unless the water is absolutely freezing. Just make you sweat all day and greatly increase the odds of drowning if you go down. Plus the added weight, worrying about getting holes, etc etc. Just a big unnecessary nuisance.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 12:33 PM »
The drowning thing is a myth.  From a guy who takes 4 to 5 swims in simms annually.  You fall in the water pressure pushed the waders tight to your skin you get a bit wet.  There is no opportunity for the waders to fill.  Hodgeman was famously sued over this when a guy died his family filed wrongful death.  In the court case hodgeman proved their waders couldnt fill and the case was dismissed. 

Worth mentioning quality waders are not hot, not heavy and are quite comfortable.  They still leak even if you spend 800 bucks but thats been every pair of waders ive owned for the past 30 years...

Ryan51993

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 01:49 PM »
They make it harder to swim and they float so they make it more difficult to keep yourself upright. I guess I'm just not afraid of water touching my legs lol. I can't imagine any benefit whatsoever to wearing them on a hot summer day. They wouldn't hold up to the bushwacking I do to get to my blue lines anyway. Usually the guys wearing them are the guys with a 2,000$ setup to go pound stocked trout shoulder to shoulder with 9 other dudes at the Swift. Just makes me laugh every time I see them after mid May. Probably an unpopular opinion but oh well.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 05:52 PM »
100% on getting your feet back under you. When I fall in where my arms cant touch bottom its always a ride/swim to shore.  Re waders, everyone is different, I fish tailwaters so the water is generally cold.  I guess I am "one of those guys" but I dont fish the swift.  Guilty on pounding trout both stocked and wild. 

Bartman44

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 06:04 PM »
I was on the West Branch of the Delaware River the past few days and with the reservoir releases, the water was a cool 47 degrees. Even with the waders on, I was getting the shivers here and there.

Good catching Bogtrotter.       

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 06:26 PM »
Not to hijack Jim's thread but how did you make out Bart?  That river is on my bucket list.  Im still rocking thermals under the breathables. 

bogtrotter

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 06:35 PM »
I was on the West Branch of the Delaware River the past few days and with the reservoir releases, the water was a cool 47 degrees. Even with the waders on, I was getting the shivers here and there. Good catching Bogtrotter.

Yeah, I don't think I'd go wet wading in 47 degree water either.  (LOL)

Like lowaccord said, I'd be interested to hear how you did on the Delaware as well. 

It's certainly a celebrated stream - - I'd be curious to hear if it lived up to its reputation.

Bartman44

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 06:36 AM »
We did well, timed it right and between my son and me, we landed about 20 fish per day keeping in mind most of our fishing was timed with the hatches (2pm to dusk). All our fish came on dry flies.

I'll post some pics on another thread later. Had the grandkids last night and they are up and ready to rumble this morning.  ;D

BerkshireBass

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 07:04 AM »
Wet wading was my approach of choice for the Deerfield last night, wasn’t to bad at all. Better than my neoprene duck hunting waders, I’d have sweat buckets in those  ;D

bogtrotter

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 08:42 AM »
We did well, timed it right and between my son and me, we landed about 20 fish per day keeping in mind most of our fishing was timed with the hatches (2pm to dusk). All our fish came on dry flies.I'll post some pics on another thread later. Had the grandkids last night and they are up and ready to rumble this morning.  ;D

Congratulations, Bart!  Looking forward to the photos.

westernmas

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 01:26 PM »
I tend to grab my waders when stream fishing for other reasons outside of getting wet/cold too.  Wearing waders help prevent getting poison ivy and also helps keep ticks off you on the walk into the stream.  I have to do some bushwacking to get into some spots so I'll deal with the waders to cut down on the number of bug bites and ticks I end up having to deal with.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

scooper47

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 07:29 AM »
I tend to grab my waders when stream fishing for other reasons outside of getting wet/cold too.  Wearing waders help prevent getting poison ivy and also helps keep ticks off you on the walk into the stream.  I have to do some bushwacking to get into some spots so I'll deal with the waders to cut down on the number of bug bites and ticks I end up having to deal with.

I agree about waders and ticks. I wear my waders when catching minnows in a stream a foot across and two inches deep. Surrounded by thick grass. Hip boots would be better, but I don't have any.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.