FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Nothing but Dace  (Read 618 times)

bogtrotter

Nothing but Dace
« on: May 12, 2022, 06:58 PM »
I worked in my company's Pittsfield office today, so after work I hit the West Housatonic for about an hour or so.

It was sunny and warm (85 degrees).
I had high hopes because the DFW is supposed to have recently stocked the river for a second time this season, but just as the last time I fished it (shortly after the first stocking), I saw no signs whatsoever of any trout.

I fished from Hungerford Street down to the Clapp Park trestle, and all I caught were dace.

On a separate note, I recall that Western Mass posted the streams seemed awfully low for this early in the season a couple weeks ago. 

I pooh poohed his concern at the time (based on conditions in my own neck of the woods), but after today, I have to admit he may have a point - - I cannot recall the West Housatonic being this low so early in May. 

(The low stream levels have been somewhat masked on the Hoosic in northern Berkshire County, where I usually fish, so I didn't really notice it until today).

Hopefully we will get some rain soon.

Ryan51993

Re: Nothing but Dace
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 04:43 AM »
The rivers certainly are low around me and I don't think it'll bode well for stocked trout. I fish the Ware a lot, average CFS this time of year is about 180, it is currently at 90 CFS. It shouldn't be that low until well into summer. Water temps on the river have gone up 12 degrees in less than a week, it will likely be at 70 degrees in a couple days already. I'm not a stocked trout guy as far as I'm concerned they can all die and stop stealing food from wild fish but I'm afraid folks who enjoy them will have a short window in many places this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.