FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I can't believe I have finally done it...  (Read 1597 times)

stripernut

I can't believe I have finally done it...
« on: May 15, 2022, 05:33 AM »
For a couple of decades I have been wanting to get a fly rod for Tuna, Sharks, and Tarpon, but could not justify the cost for the number of opportunities I would get to use it, but with the bigger boat this year and life only getting shorter, I have picked up my first 14wt outfit...
A Colton Fly Company Torrent Reels Leviathan Rod... I look forward to hearing that drag sing!

lowaccord66

Re: I can't believe I have finally done it...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 07:46 AM »
Thats a monster setup!  Let them have it.  Big boat is almost finished being repaired.

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 08:43 AM »
Looking forward to seeing some epic photos.   :D

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 06:39 AM »
Go get em! Congrats
Wicked Wec

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 08:40 AM »
Now is the "fun" part of setting up the line to use... Shooting heads look like the way to go, but I am having trouble finding (I am not alone in this) a running line with little or no stretch... I will also for the first time in a long time have to find time to sit down at the vice, at least I will not need the magnifying glass for these flies!

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 01:21 PM »
Can't wait to see what you can haul in with that setup.

In regards to running line are you using a full length fly line or simply a shooting head and mono (or some other suitable material) as a running line before the backing?
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 01:45 PM »
A couple of different shooting heads, depending on what I am doing, but I am looking for a running line with a test of 30+ lbs and no stretch... I need it for hook sets when fishing deep...

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 12:06 AM »
A couple of different shooting heads, depending on what I am doing, but I am looking for a running line with a test of 30+ lbs and no stretch... I need it for hook sets when fishing deep...

Opst.  Spey line.  They make shooting heads too.

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 05:09 AM »
I took a look at their lines and some good-looking stuff, but their running lines are all Mono, that I can see... Even "low Strech" is more stretch than I want...

westernmas

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 09:37 AM »
I took a look at their lines and some good-looking stuff, but their running lines are all Mono, that I can see... Even "low Strech" is more stretch than I want...

What other options are there?  Mono, floro, and I saw some braided mono.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 02:26 PM »
For a couple of decades I have been wanting to get a fly rod for Tuna, Sharks, and Tarpon, but could not justify the cost for the number of opportunities I would get to use it, but with the bigger boat this year and life only getting shorter, I have picked up my first 14wt outfit...
A Colton Fly Company Torrent Reels Leviathan Rod... I look forward to hearing that drag sing!

Whatever you do don't get any of the fly line looped around your fingers or hand when a fish is making a run! Or a loop gets caught on something in the boat!  Twang! :whistling:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 07:19 AM »
What other options are there?  Mono, floro, and I saw some braided mono.

That is what I have been looking for with little luck. I would have thought by now someone would have come up with a coated spectra that would do a good job...

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 01:52 PM »
That is what I have been looking for with little luck. I would have thought by now someone would have come up with a coated spectra that would do a good job...

I have a spey setup where I have a shooting head and mono running line.  I find it very difficult to handle the mono versus a full sized fly line, nevermind the damage it does to your finger stripping mono all day.  Making my head hurt thinking about all of the variables for tuna.  Good luck.  Let us know what you settle on and I'll bet it changes over time.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.