FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fined for overharvesting carp in Connecticut?  (Read 4204 times)

taxid

Fined for overharvesting carp in Connecticut?
« on: May 18, 2022, 08:59 AM »
I get the part with no fishing license, and I know carp are a blast to catch but this just seems weird to me. Thoughts?

https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/three-fishermen-fined-thousands-of-dollars-for-keeping-too-many-carp/?fbclid=IwAR0DGWheWe12_Lmkor-WljC8ZDTocYEOjqJS3oQnqQRHy5F0vfFBSIn3LSE
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Fined for overharvesting carp in Connecticut?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 09:04 AM »
Well, the law is the law, isn't it?

Badbrad2186

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 10:00 AM »
A limit on carp..Trophy Fish all sounds crazy to me

taxid

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 12:32 PM »
Well, the law is the law, isn't it?

Of course but it just sounds so odd getting fined for going over the limit on carp. I've never heard of such a thing.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 02:58 PM »
 Well you should know what the law is , doesn’t sound like any grey area to me
 No license and over the limit pretty simple
 And being able to identify the species you are pursuing 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 04:25 PM »
As an avid carp fisher……I’m not sure how I feel. Local law is what it is and it was violated.

I’ve never thought of creel or size limits for carp. For me it’s always been C&R. Many kill them for sport which, while legal, doesn’t sit well with me. They’re part of the ecosystem, do no discernible damage ( that I’ve seen ) and are a super game fish to target. ( there’s a fresh tub of pack bait in my fridge as I type)

They just don’t get no respect !
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 07:15 PM »
Although fun to catch as a by catch while fishing for other species, never would have thought that there'd be a limit on them, they clearly violated the law, I toss all mine back.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 09:35 PM »
The state changed the law a few years back.  Lots of avid carp guys in CT. 

mcully

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 06:30 AM »
with carp tourneys bringing people from all over the world to the states to fish for them I would expect to see new regs on carp. Give something a $$$ value and regulation will follow. That's always the argument with elephant hunting- Big money to shoot one means protection. Without big money being spent to hunt they are just a huge nuisance animal open to extermination like our urban deer are turning into.

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 11:50 AM »
 We use to catch them to keep in practice for the king salmon run in the fall

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 01:53 PM »
This was posted on another message board by a Connecticut resident:

There’s no shortage of carp in the CT river. There’s tons of them. Just 3 years ago there was no limit.
The State DEEP was approached by European carp anglers who wanted to make CT a‘Destination’ fishery for carp. Apparently it’s big industry over there. Lots of promises about tourism and tournaments. Our DNR went from Zero limits to a limit of 1 carp literally overnight. It effectively destroyed bowfishing. Everyone was upset; bowfisherman, bass guys, trout guys, basically everyone except carp fishing fanatics.

I serve on a board that advises our DEEP and was able to get the limit changed from 1 to 12 per person but that’s only for bowfishing. The limit for rod fishing remains one fish.

I don’t have any details on who got busted but I bowfished the CT river for 30 years and it was a popular spot for Connecticuts poor to fish and feed their families. This includes homeless guys who would catch carp and cook and eat them on the bank as we drove by in my boat. The DEEP advises people not to eat carp from the CT river due to unhealthy levels of toxins, PCB, etc. So my guess is whoever was keeping all these carp we’re probably doing it out of necessity.

I agree with abiding by the rules, but this rule was, IMHO, Ill conceived and unnecessary in order to appease wealthy European anglers. When it was enacted I asked the head of fisheries if the bowfishing or anglers were having any detrimental effects on the carp fishery and they readily admitted it was not. This was strictly a tourism and revenue play by The state of Connecticut.

slipperybob

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 06:36 AM »
I wasn't trying to catch carp but they were hitting my lures like as if it was candy.  Only that it turned out that my lure was hooking onto that top dorsal fin on the first spine.  That's kind of annoying when I've only got a 4# line to it.  Only one carp actually had the lure in it's mouth.  And when it's dorsal fin hooked, the fish pulls and fights like it's twice it's size.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

taxid

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 01:19 PM »
I wasn't trying to catch carp but they were hitting my lures like as if it was candy.  Only that it turned out that my lure was hooking onto that top dorsal fin on the first spine.  That's kind of annoying when I've only got a 4# line to it.  Only one carp actually had the lure in it's mouth.  And when it's dorsal fin hooked, the fish pulls and fights like it's twice it's size.

I foul hooked a large carp in the tail once and thought I was fighting a 10 pound brown.  :rotflol:

deerhunter

« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2022, 03:17 PM »
people actually eat those things?

filetandrelease

« Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2022, 03:56 PM »

Yes they do
 Gefilte fish is a dish made from a poached mixture of ground deboned fish, such as carp, whitefish, or pike. It is traditionally served as an appetizer by Ashkenazi Jewish households. Popular on Shabbat and Jewish holidays such as Passover, it may be consumed throughout the year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.