FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fun Mother’s Day Weekend  (Read 2356 times)

westernmas

Fun Mother’s Day Weekend
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Shot down to the cape Friday night to visit my parents, more so my mom, for Mother’s day weekend. Between the rain and family obligations I was only able to fish Saturday morning. I brought my kayak but my dumb@ss forgot the pedal drive system so I paddled over to a rip in an estuary to fish for schoolies. The mainland side had a few other fisherman while I had the other side all to myself. I landed about 20 schoolies on the 8wt with the largest being about 2 feet long. I got a handful on standard colored clousers but the fly of the day was a white/blue rabbit muddler or zonker I had tied for trout. I took off during slack tide around 930 and was back to join the family for brunch and some sight seeing.

Next weekend sounds like it’s going to be madness with the cheeky schoolie tournament so unless you like combat fishing I’d avoid shore fishing the cape next weekend. Heard there were about 450 people’s registered for the event.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

Re: Fun Mother’s Day Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:11 AM »
No one fishes all night during the spring.   :)

I'm starting my pilgrimages down there next weekend.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 10:21 AM »

[/quote]

The beast is unleashed.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 11:49 AM »

The beast is unleashed.

and my boats in the water.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 11:58 AM »
No one fishes all night during the spring.   :)

Congrats that sounds like fun -- especially on a fly rod. What happens if you get a really big on a fly rod? Do you have plenty of backing?  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 12:17 PM »
Congrats that sounds like fun -- especially on a fly rod. What happens if you get a really big on a fly rod? Do you have plenty of backing?  :rotflol:

No, I need to add a couple hundred yards of backing to my 8wt.  I could easily get spooled by a big striper or steelhead.  Most guys who target larger stripers on the fly are using much heavier setups, 9/10wt or even 11/12wt's if they fish the canal with them.  It also allows you to reduce the time of the fight so they have a better chance of survival.  I usually switch to the spinning gear once the big girls show up.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 01:55 PM »
My pilgrimage to the cape started mid March. Every weekend til Thanksgiving now.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 01:57 PM »
No, I need to add a couple hundred yards of backing to my 8wt.  I could easily get spooled by a big striper or steelhead.  Most guys who target larger stripers on the fly are using much heavier setups, 9/10wt or even 11/12wt's if they fish the canal with them.  It also allows you to reduce the time of the fight so they have a better chance of survival.  I usually switch to the spinning gear once the big girls show up.
Have never seen someone fly fishing the canal. I saw someone carrying a fly rod with a spinning rod but not fishing with it. All I can say if you are fly fishing the canal you better make sure you have plenty of space down current of you :rotflol: :rotflol:
Would be fun though.

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Have never seen someone fly fishing the canal. I saw someone carrying a fly rod with a spinning rod but not fishing with it. All I can say if you are fly fishing the canal you better make sure you have plenty of space down current of you :rotflol: :rotflol:
Would be fun though.

They do down at the RR bridge, especially if they can get to some of the flats around there.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Would be fun though.

Good lets keep it that way...OK!?  Thanks!  Btw if you hook a strong 45lb plus on spinning gear youll need some room too.

Cape has nothing for me until the larger bass show up.  Id rather a skunking than a night of dinks at this stage of my game. (Many times I don't have a choice)

Bartman44

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 04:33 PM »
Nice start. They'll get bigger as time passes.   

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 07:14 PM »
They do down at the RR bridge, especially if they can get to some of the flats around there.
Forgot about there. I actually use to slay schoolies on my 4wt there. Mostly small schoolies but it's the canal and you never know. I forget that is part of the canal sometimes.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 07:28 PM »
Forgot about there. I actually use to slay schoolies on my 4wt there. Mostly small schoolies but it's the canal and you never know. I forget that is part of the canal sometimes.

Me too.  Not sure why but I dont fish down that end a ton like I used to.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Me too.  Not sure why but I dont fish down that end a ton like I used to.
Love that end. But it getting crowded just like the rest of the canal

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Love that end. But it getting crowded just like the rest of the canal

Used to be my go to for early season. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.