FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Back from the ice! Striper Questions?  (Read 9682 times)

Majors71

Re: Back from the ice! Striper Questions?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 14, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Ive been using Power Pro fresh and salt for years.  
Trying PP Super 8 Slick.  Any experience with that?

The stuff is junk. Slips out of knots way to easy. Best way to lose the fish you spent so much time trying to catch id say. I bought it spooled it and took it right off after a couple slips. It also seems like it is made cheap.
I would so much rather be fishing................. Than anything else

BOULDERDASH

« Reply #31 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:03 AM »
I good and affordable yak set up for stripers would be a ugly stick tiger stick and a Penn 6500ss reel try to get a used american made one.. this will last you forever and the reel to s easily repaired at most bait shops
the ugly stick tiger lite is very popular and pen  SS series have been discontinued and can be had for a great price. you may want to look at the new Penn spinfisher v  it is more water resistant than SS and Battle

BOULDERDASH

« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Yup thats me =)

Im hoping to hear back on "safe" places to target Stripers for newbie salt water kayak fisherman.
if your ever down on the South Shore you can fish Duxbury and Kingston bay with me

ebour

« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2013, 01:55 PM »
ive seen you over there. i figured it was you. its a great site. wait for the guys to start posting there stripers they get in the yaks. its insane.
especially slappy and some of the other guys are beasts too. I want learn albies and big stripers from them. Kayak is the way to go

Baitbucket

« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2013, 03:13 PM »
My debate is wait on a Hobie Rev 11, or just get a good used 12ft paddle yak for around $500...

The Hobie is going to run around $1800  =/

ebour

« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2013, 04:46 PM »
well if you are going to take it seriously and get some miles on it, go with the hobie. i love my ocean kayak, the trident lineup is a good midway point.

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 14, 2013, 05:13 PM »
The stuff is junk. Slips out of knots way to easy. Best way to lose the fish you spent so much time trying to catch id say. I bought it spooled it and took it right off after a couple slips. It also seems like it is made cheap.

Well I'm already spooled up with it on two reels. Gonna give it a try and will see how it works out.
Just curious, do you use braid regularly and what knots do you usually tie?

Baitbucket

« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2013, 06:31 PM »
well if you are going to take it seriously and get some miles on it, go with the hobie. i love my ocean kayak, the trident lineup is a good midway point.

I love the idea of using my legs and having my hands free to fish. Especially when i get into Fly fishing from the yak.

I have a smaller 10ft Sit in that i use for most freshwater fishing.

Majors71

« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:54 AM »
Well I'm already spooled up with it on two reels. Gonna give it a try and will see how it works out.
Just curious, do you use braid regularly and what knots do you usually tie?

Yea I have used origanal power pro for a few years on a few bass rods. Not that that's my favorite either I'm more or a fluorocarbon guy personally. I have always used improved clinch knots and Palomar knots for everything. I shouldn't say its junk because it has done the job for me including bringing in my first 40+ inch striper. However it just has also failed me and lost me so many plugs that I just cant justify it. I feel like if you don't retie it very offten it will slip and bye bye lure or fish. It also seemed to almost (come apart). Like unravel itself might be a way to describe it better.

Baitbucket

« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:58 AM »
Thats exactly the complaints i have heard about it. (PP Super Slick)

Knots slipping and it fraying...

Maybe tie it directly to a small barrel swivel, and put a dab of super glue on the knot to make sure. Then just go Fluoro leader to the lure.

Majors71

« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:24 AM »
That's exactly the complaints i have heard about it. (PP Super Slick)

Maybe tie it directly to a small barrel swivel, and put a dab of super glue on the knot to make sure. Then just go Fluoro leader to the lure.

Not a bad idea at all. They had the right idea when they made the line. Its quite through the guides. It casts nice. and doesn't dig in the spool on a big hookset. But the bugs have to be worked out just like anything else new that comes out. The origanal power pro is great so I'm sure it will be fixed.

Another complaint I have with it also is wind knots like crazy. Its like a sail in the wind when you cast it. Almost like its to light for itself or something.

PeterSaloom

« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:25 AM »
Thats exactly the complaints i have heard about it. (PP Super Slick)

I used to use only Spiderwire Stealth Braid but it frays quite a bit. PP in a really high weight like 30# or up for fishing in the slop.

Baitbucket

« Reply #42 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:36 AM »
I used to use only Spiderwire Stealth Braid but it frays quite a bit. PP in a really high weight like 30# or up for fishing in the slop.

I used spiderwire this real on my AW tip ups. Wont do that again.
Its coated in some kind of wax or something? And actually was building up on the rod eyes. Also seems to fray easy.

Back yo power pro next season most likely.

PeterSaloom

« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2013, 08:28 AM »
I used spiderwire this real on my AW tip ups. Wont do that again.
Its coated in some kind of wax or something? And actually was building up on the rod eyes. Also seems to fray easy.

Back yo power pro next season most likely.

I'm still looking for what the best ice line is. The selection is crap compared to open water lines. For 99% of my open water bass fishing I use Seaguar flouro 12#. It's awesome.

Baitbucket

« Reply #44 on: Mar 15, 2013, 08:43 AM »
I would use that fluro as your leader. And tie it off to a swivel to PowerPro.

PowerPro is stronger, and you can get more of it on your reel as its a smaller diameter than the equal mono/fluoro. IE: 12# PP is the same dia of 4# fluoro/mono

PP is also cheaper than fluoro. (not by much tho)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.