FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Back from the ice! Striper Questions?  (Read 9684 times)

Baitbucket

Re: Back from the ice! Striper Questions?
« Reply #60 on: Mar 18, 2013, 01:25 PM »

PeterSaloom

« Reply #61 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:00 PM »
I will check and see if some of my regular spots are open enough. I have to find a life jacket though so I don't get a ticket. How are you hauling your kayak rooftop? Truck?

PeterSaloom

« Reply #62 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:01 PM »
BTW just picked up a new rod and reel setup for fishing the heavy cover with frogs.

Baitbucket

« Reply #63 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:05 PM »
BTW just picked up a new rod and reel setup for fishing the heavy cover with frogs.

I plan on using my striper rod for frogging lol.

I carry my Yak on my subaru.

If u need a new PFD check out the Ascend on BPS. Its the same as the Stohloquist Fisherman (119$)
They made one for BPS and its only 75$.

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-Paddling-Fishing-Life-Jacket/product/10225851/

PeterSaloom

« Reply #64 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:21 PM »
You seriously must spend so much time researching gear. You always have a deal on something somewhere. I like it.   ;D

Baitbucket

« Reply #65 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:57 PM »
You seriously must spend so much time researching gear. You always have a deal on something somewhere. I like it.   ;D

Yes sir! (But not really, its crazy what a google search turns up lol)

The pockets on that PFD are nice. When fully un zipped serve as little tables.  Pockets also have hard outer shells to protect your stuff inside. I also read the hard outer shell helps when sliding back into your yak if you get dumped.

v menzone

« Reply #66 on: Mar 22, 2013, 07:41 PM »
as far as striper set ups if you go bait caster stay miles away from braid, use mono.  I only fish with baitcasters and tried braid and it seems to bury itself into the spool and snap when i get a decent fish. I use a penn 965 with penn international rod 20lb test and a penn 975 with a star rod 25lb test mono. both are great set ups for me and i love how smooth the drag is.  Spinning reels are better for distance casting but i feel bait casters have more feel to them.  ive landed plenty of football tuna on them and also use them as pike set ups

Baitbucket

« Reply #67 on: Mar 22, 2013, 10:24 PM »
as far as striper set ups if you go bait caster stay miles away from braid, use mono.  I only fish with baitcasters and tried braid and it seems to bury itself into the spool and snap when i get a decent fish.

Sounds like your drag is to tight if thats happening. But im no "true pike fisherman".

otzi thawed

• Sit up and show up!
« Reply #68 on: Mar 22, 2013, 11:38 PM »
For what it's worth I've caught plenty of stripers with an Abu Garcia 6500 c3 baitcaster spooled with 30 or 40 lb braid and never have had a break off from the line digging into the spool. I also have the drag cranked down pretty tight. I use this with A 7 ft BPS xps heavy rod that I also use for slop baits and flippin jigs in heavy cover.

ebour

« Reply #69 on: Mar 23, 2013, 06:30 AM »
as far as striper set ups if you go bait caster stay miles away from braid, use mono.  I only fish with baitcasters and tried braid and it seems to bury itself into the spool and snap when i get a decent fish. I use a penn 965 with penn international rod 20lb test and a penn 975 with a star rod 25lb test mono. both are great set ups for me and i love how smooth the drag is.  Spinning reels are better for distance casting but i feel bait casters have more feel to them.  ive landed plenty of football tuna on them and also use them as pike set ups
are you using that power pro slick? One thing to consider is maybe it is the line and not the reel.

200fisher

« Reply #70 on: Mar 23, 2013, 09:01 AM »

In the right hands (not mine  ;D), baitcasters will cast farther than spinners. Conventional reels are the norm in casting competitions, but mostly without level wind mechanisms. I use both the 965 and 975. The 975 is my go-to reel. I rarely cast a spinning outfit. I agree with you, I like the feel, the control, and the drags of the baitcaster. And I agree about the braid. It gives me fits. I sacrifice some distance and some sensitivity for the ease of the mono. Especially at night.
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

jtk2

« Reply #71 on: Mar 23, 2013, 10:52 AM »
if ur braid is burying itself, then it wasnt put on correctly. u have to spool it on very tight from the first wrap to make sure it wont dig in. i have braid on my calcutta and dont have a problem with it at all. also higher lb. test doesnt dig in as bad. try taking it off and spooling it up super tight and it should solve your problems.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

v menzone

« Reply #72 on: Mar 23, 2013, 03:12 PM »
 i had braid 10yrs ago, im sure its much better now. i put the braid on super tight when i put it on but alot of times im livelining scup so i would slowly reel in the slack not tightening the braid onto the spool. Probably my problem. went back to mono no more problems.  As far as my drag yes its tight but im fishing the rocks so a tight drag is necessary to pull the big fish out of them before they wrap me around them.  200 fisher  i took my line winder off the 965 due to it never working properly. yes it casts much further but is a pain in the butt reeling in surface plugs and leveling at the same time.

v menzone

« Reply #73 on: Mar 23, 2013, 03:15 PM »
For what it's worth I've caught plenty of stripers with an Abu Garcia 6500 c3 baitcaster spooled with 30 or 40 lb braid and never have had a break off from the line digging into the spool. I also have the drag cranked down pretty tight. I use this with A 7 ft BPS xps heavy rod that I also use for slop baits and flippin jigs in heavy cover.

I love the garcia i have 3 of the 5500s they are fairly cheap and next to bullet proof.  I only use them freshwater which i really dont have much time for anymore.

capedeer/fish

« Reply #74 on: Mar 26, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Power pro super slick gets a bad "wrap" from back in the day when it was new. Throwing 50lb pp ss on my new stella today. Stuff is great for all my applications. And 100 percent agree with jtk.......if it ain't tight....why bother. ;)
IndianHill Icetrap Pro Staff                                               SavageGear Product Tester         Dexter-Russell outdoors Pro Staff   ODM Rods Pro Staff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.