FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 13 fishing ice rods  (Read 6017 times)

High Tide

Re: 13 fishing ice rods
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2015, 08:00 AM »
I appreciate that, and in much the same fashion I'll try not to chastise another for portraying their opinion as fact. ;D

Fishing to me, whether ice or open water, is not about seeing how many I can catch. I no longer measure my success that way. Now it's about having time to get out, and making the most of that time by enjoying myself as much as possible. I won't delve into the debate over rod sensitivity when comparing high end models to less expensive sticks, but I've felt both for myself. I know there's a difference, maybe not so much in every make and model, but certainly in some.

If I can appreciate that difference and it brings me enjoyment while on the water (ice), then it's enhanced my experience and it's a worthwhile addition in my eyes. Maybe my skills aren't honed enough to even utilize the rod to it's fullest potential, but if it makes me smile every time I pick it up, that's all that matters.
Good stuff... I agree! However, Id like to add that as you know, the rod is a tool. If you rshooting docks, well you don't need senstivity in the rod cuz usually you see the hit in the line first. Just like a schoolies, if you're a line watcher, fishing shallow, that maybe all you need. If you like using brickers bugs on natural lakes, his rod will definitely make it perform better. The rod should be about your style of fish more than cost.

sprkplug

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2015, 09:21 AM »
Good stuff... I agree! However, Id like to add that as you know, the rod is a tool. If you rshooting docks, well you don't need senstivity in the rod cuz usually you see the hit in the line first. Just like a schoolies, if you're a line watcher, fishing shallow, that maybe all you need. If you like using brickers bugs on natural lakes, his rod will definitely make it perform better. The rod should be about your style of fish more than cost.

I agree completely. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have several rods of different weights, lengths, and actions. All of them will catch fish, but some excel in areas where others perform less satisfactory. I try and match the rod (and line) to the conditions and techniques it's best suited for. I'm sure all of us have been on an aggressive bite where a piece of line tied to a broom handle would produce fish, but unfortunately I've found those days to be highly inconsistent as far as regular appearance goes, at least in my neck of the woods. :D

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2015, 09:37 AM »
I own a decent cars worth in rods myself but all the expensive ones are for surf or boat fishing the salt.  I'd say in some fishing venues having a high end rod us valuable and others not so much.  You don't really want to surfcast with a walmart rod and I really dont need a 80 dollar ice fishing rod....my cheap frabill ones do just fine.

However that isnt to say there isnt a reason to want such a high end rod for ice fishing.  Its all a mater of preferance and ones desire to chose tackle to their liking I suppose.

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2015, 12:25 PM »
How about this reason -

I work for my money.
Nobody else.

And until someone else "ponies" up and does my work for me, I will continue to decide what I spend and what I spend it on.

;D

You guys are better than TV.   :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Mac

sprkplug

« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2015, 01:22 PM »
How about this reason -

I work for my money.
Nobody else.

And until someone else "ponies" up and does my work for me, I will continue to decide what I spend and what I spend it on.

;D

You guys are better than TV.   :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Mac

Apparently better than the programming choices out east, anyway. 8)

Mac Attack

« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Apparently better than the programming choices out east, anyway. 8)

yup.

;)

DanO2013

« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2015, 02:11 PM »
glad i'm not the only one that thinks that

my buddy fishes a custom rod that was $125...i have a sweet frabill ultra light 19.99 at walmart....sometimes i do better than him, sometimes he does better than me....but pretty sure you can catch em on a stick with line tied to it honestly LOL........his 125 dollar pole sure is sweet, but ill take 5 frabil ultra lights anyday over 1 expensive custom...no offense of course

stinkybaits

« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2015, 06:43 PM »

Doug wins.... Next debate please  ;D

fisherben

« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2015, 03:14 AM »

My style of ice fishing involves rosies. Are you gonna hook me up at first ice this year Stink?

High Tide

« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2015, 08:07 PM »
Lol... Next debate, should Stinky open an on ice bar this year, with steak sandwiches hot and ready? Start at Round, the Wawa channels, then follow the next hot bite! Follow Stinky, follow the fish!

Blueultra2

« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2015, 12:39 AM »
Lol... Next debate, should Stinky open an on ice bar this year, with steak sandwiches hot and ready? Start at Round, the Wawa channels, then follow the next hot bite! Follow Stinky, follow the fish!

That sounds like an awesome idea!

stinkybaits

« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2015, 03:02 AM »

Lol! Get an Ice Castle setup I could see it now.....

Get_the_Net

« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2015, 01:04 PM »

Be sure to stock some ice cold 'stones and keep a seat open for Rico!   :w00t: :w00t:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.