FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thirteenth Lake  (Read 6220 times)

1fish@atime

Thirteenth Lake
« on: Apr 26, 2009, 04:39 AM »
We were going to go today, but my son took a ride up there yesterday and said nope no way. 20-30 cars in the lot parked down the access road.
Sucks to not be able to fish a local lake.

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
Re: Thirteenth Lake
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2009, 09:25 AM »
Fished 13th on Friday (4/24).  I was second truck in lot at 6 am.  By time I left there were more than a Dozen canoes and/or boats on the lake and at least 20 cars in the lot at 11:00 am!!!  Caught one small salmon 12" and a nice fat 20" Brown!  Fishing was slow overall.  By the way, I thought motors were not allowed.  At least 2 boats were running motors on the lake. 

Good luck- Mike

mealworm

• snoogan
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Fished 13th on Friday (4/24).  I was second truck in lot at 6 am.  By time I left there were more than a Dozen canoes and/or boats on the lake and at least 20 cars in the lot at 11:00 am!!!  Caught one small salmon 12" and a nice fat 20" Brown!  Fishing was slow overall.  By the way, I thought motors were not allowed.  At least 2 boats were running motors on the lake. 

Good luck- Mike
motors are allowed under 10 horse   yeah its too bad that place gets hit pretty hard   can't wait 3 weeks till our annual camping trip to 13th

nick733

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2009, 08:01 PM »
how's the fishing at hours pond? is it worth the hike?
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." -Dan Quayle

oldtown42

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2009, 08:20 PM »
A few years ago i went up and had the same experience. Went exploring in my truck instead. By noon I had landed four of the largest trout of my life from a different spot. The lord works in mysterious ways.

It is beautiful, but it does get hit pretty hard since it is so close to the trailhead. On the other hand some folks who can't get around so easy can still get to fish a fine trout lake, so that is good.

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2009, 11:37 PM »
It always seems like 13th gets so much attention because of the salmon plantings in such a small lake...

It's kind of a shame it gets hammered so hard, but then again, that keeps a lot of folks off the dozens of other sweet trout waters within 20mi of there that require a little more of a walk! 

As for camping there- it must be a total circus on weekends...
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

1fish@atime

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2009, 03:06 AM »
It is a circus, cops are there three or four times a weekend sometimes.
Yes small motors are allowed, Garnet Hill people still fight it every year.
Your right some good fishing a short ride away. (see my other posts)

mealworm

• snoogan
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2009, 08:46 PM »

As for camping there- it must be a total circus on weekends...
the last few years haven't been too bad when we're in there (before memorial day)witch is good i like it quiet

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2009, 08:56 PM »
It is a circus, cops are there three or four times a weekend sometimes.

That's actually almost funny.  When I lived in North Creek we'd be amazed to see cops three or four times in a MONTH!  The Warren County Sherrif didn't seem too worried about us around there, I guess.

In my mind it just isn't the same now that the Riverwood is gone.

I had some of the best times I can't remember in that place back in the late 90s.

Are there smallies or LMBs in 13th?  I don't think I have ever caught one there, but I do think I have caught perch on trolled streamers a few times.  The guys in Beaver Brook always used to tell me about giant landlockers they caught in 13th, but they were not always the most trustworthy guys in terms of reports.

Vic at North Country Sports is a whole lot more personable and runs a great little shop off 13th Lake Road if any of you are fly fishing up around there.  True advice, honest answers, and no sales push.  The way it should be!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

1fish@atime

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2009, 05:30 AM »
I grew up with the owner of Beaver Brook. We fished and hunted everyday together. Also know the guys that work in the store, all stand up guys with a knowledge of fishing in the area unsurpassed. They take quite a few fishing trips with clients every year, and most come back again in following years. They hit it when the hexagenas are hatching.
Vic does a good job with fly fishing, just have to catch him around. 
They have stepped up the patrols and we have a few more troopers in Indian lake that cruise the area.
Also a new ECO in IL that is out to make it known he is here and doesn't fool around.
There are no Bass or Perch in there. I have fished it since I could walk and before they killed it there may have been some sunny and perch but not since they killed it. I even tried bullhead on a few evenings and nothing.
The biggest landlock  I have ever seen was 24" and skinny. I have caught 7lb browns. Seems the Brooktrout are quite stunted as well, one 15" a few years ago. Most in the 10-12" range. I remember seeing brookies over 5lbs being netted when they killed it.(as well as lakers over 15lbs) One of the ECO's standing on the shore was shaking his head that day, saying off the record that was a stupid thing to do.  I still love to fish it, just hate crowds, and some(not all) of the people they include.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.