FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Did anyone else check out the salmon and trout on the Maine board?  (Read 2977 times)

1fish@atime

Not to take away from what the NY. guys are doing out there (great fish are here too)
But has anyone else seen the fish those boys put in the boat last weekend. One brookie at least 4-5lbs. Couple big salmon. They do have some great fishing up there and some real good anglers....
Wish we could use the smelt like they do!!....

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
WE CANT USE SMELTS????????  

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

1fish@atime

:rotflol: :rotflol: :police:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

1fish@atime

I saw those, NYpike did well!! I didn't mean to take anything away from what the guys are doing here. NY'ers do pretty well with the salmon and trout.
I wish the state hadn't started messing with our brook trout. They killed ponds that had some of the biggest around. and put browns?? in them.... The boys up there can catch bass, crappie and trout in the same body of water.
Use smelt and minnows, without ruining a pond. One pond here they had a very nice population of brookies, biggest I've ever caught at 19.5" came from there. Then they put rainbows in there, along with stocking them at 11-12" and stocking 4-6" brookies. The brookies end up as rainbow food. There are some good ones in there 24+". Guess it depends on what you like to catch and eat. I prefer good brookies 12-14". But that's just me.

phead lakeman

is that the guy holding that huge fish with tons of snow in the background??

1fish@atime

Yes, cool picture.

phead lakeman

i definitely envy that guy. and im a big fan of urs 1fish, u seem like u have alot of knowledge!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
is that the guy holding that huge fish with tons of snow in the background??

That is a great picture......

1fish@atime

I just baffle with bull...um crap ::), (looks over his shoulder to see if the slyr is around......)

nypike

• Where da fish at?
I always browse the Maine board, they always have some nice fish and less BS in their threads.

Last Cast 69

agreed with all stated. seems they have a stocking/management program that is first-rate. they do stock more and bigger, from what I know.

Gump

The landlocks/atlantics are finally taking hold in lake Ontario it appears as well.  Many reports of good sized atlantics showing up along the shoreline trollers are reporting.  Have seen several pics of fish in the 10-15 lb. class.......

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
I just baffle with bull...um crap ::), (looks over his shoulder to see if the slyr is around......)
Hi! ;)
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

1fish@atime

Hi! ;)
Thought that might bring a smile.
This post made me do some mental researching,(doesn't take long, data base doesn't hold to much info anymore.) But remembered a lengthy conversation with an ECO(who was a biologist) and a encon biologist. We met up at a local fly fishing tackle shop(happened to be owned by a retired forest ranger). As the owner(Vic) was asking me what I had been catching, the ECO asked if I had been to any local ponds like Peaked or Hour. I said nope, these reclaimed artificial only ponds are a joke. The state uses most of them as a stocking holding tank. Where we could once go and have a reasonable expectation of catching something 16-20", with the possibility of maybe a record size fish, we now have 8-12" fish that are netted and stocked elsewhere and replaced with 4-6" fish. They just keep turning it over.(now my thoughts are, if the state can rear fish in one pond and dispence to another, whats all the fuss about bait fish?) Sorry I tend to get off course sometimes. Soo the biologist says, what about the fish that don't get netted for stocking? There must be some big ones holding in there. I said with the fact that these ponds were killed to remove undesirable bait fish, what does a trout eat to get big?(Brookies) He said bugs and larva and worms washed in. I said if 500 fish are competing for 100 worms washed in how do they get big. If 500 fish are following a school of 2000 bait fish then wouldn't they stand a better chance of being healthier and growing to a more mature size? Neither of them had a real answer for me, they just skirted every question with for the better of the fishery and subsequent generations of fishermen and women. The bottom line since the early 70's has been the dollar. If people go somewhere and catch fish they will continue to buy a licence. If they get skunked repeatedly they don't. Me personally if I get skunked OH well! the fish won today. But if the chance at a big fish exists then I will be back and going for them. We have turned everything including fishing into an instant gratification sport. What happened to the ole boys sittin on the bank with a pole and a piece of grass in their mouth relaxing and waiting for a fish to bite??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.