FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How do you do it?  (Read 3501 times)

GILLY2

How do you do it?
« on: May 02, 2005, 08:16 PM »
 Hey whats the best way to get a Gar in your boat if you don't have a net. I would like to get at least one home for the recs

wormwigglr

Re: How do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:38 PM »
use heavier line than normal and lift it in or grab the gar right behind the head and squeeze like hell then lift.

deerslayer92163

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 09:46 PM »
good luck i think i would use a 22 short

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 09:59 PM »
Gilly2,

Are you fishing for longnose gar?  If so, I used a good pair of leather gloves to grab then around the snout with good results.  You just have to be CAREFULL of the teeth that are in the front of their nose.  If your going after Alligator Gar......12 guage  ;D  Hope this helps

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

devil-man

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 10:07 PM »
Have you ever heard of a gaff?
Closing your eyes and wearing gloves helps too.

8)

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 10:21 PM »
Have you ever heard of a gaff?
Closing your eyes and wearing gloves helps too.

8)

Check the regs on gaffs I seem to remember a section in them about not being able to use them on certain, or all fish during softwater     
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

devil-man

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 10:24 PM »
The 12 gauge is ok, but you can't use a gaff?  ;)
I will check. That would be news to me. Thanks!

bigdave1018

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 05:11 AM »
losing fingers or using a gaff, you already know my answer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 05:38 AM »
It is ILLEGAL to use a gaff in New York State in freshwater during the openwater season.

Grab it by the tail, snout, or cradle it like a carp.

wormwigglr

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 06:43 AM »
i wouldn't cradle one of those because they thrash. when me and a buddy use to get them we would grab right behing the head after you play them out and then squeez and lift then throw them to the floor befor they come back to life. or you could spen the extra 5bucks at wally world and get a net.(easiest way i know of)

GILLY2

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 06:52 AM »
i wouldn't cradle one of those because they thrash. when me and a buddy use to get them we would grab right behing the head after you play them out and then squeez and lift then throw them to the floor befor they come back to life. or you could spen the extra 5bucks at wally world and get a net.(easiest way i know of)
Yeah I could and probably will but doesn't that kinda take the excitement out of it. I have landed alot of big fish without a net its just that these creatures are a little intimdating

archbishop

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 07:44 AM »
well if you cant use a gaff use a hammer when you get it close to the boat or i saw in another post a picture of forgive me if im wrong but i think it was camo_fish used his knife and stuck it through the snout and picked him up that way im sure if its the excitment you want that would be fun trying to stab a fish in the mouth lol

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 07:57 AM »
They are not that much different than pike and musky, fight the fish and get em tired, and grab them behind the head firmly. They tend to fight more in the net than anywhere else creating lovely tangles. Do not be affraid of them but respect them. Also be very careful handeling em.  I have a friend who is a avid musky fishermen and only uses a craddle or his hands, his hands have battle scars that I would not want, but his fish are released healthy and not damaged.
Internet heros give it a rest!

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 10:19 AM »
I would spend the 10 bucks and buy a net.... ;)......It cost's alot less than your fingers.... :P

GILLY2

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 08:07 PM »
I would spend the 10 bucks and buy a net.... ;)......It cost's alot less than your fingers.... :P
Yeah the net sounds good but I like archbishops idea now that sounds like a good movie scene

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.