FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New York  (Read 5409 times)

archbishop

New York
« on: May 03, 2005, 07:56 AM »
i was just scrolling down through all the threads and noticed new york has like 100x more posts and threads than any other statenow you can all joke and say its because im from new york ;D but honestly is new york that great of a fishery or hasnt this site caught on in other states yet?

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
Re: New York
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 08:00 AM »
Jay I have notice that also and the lack of imput from certain areas of the country. There may be other sites that they go to. I know of several in this area and IS is much different than MMF. Some work better than others and some people just don't post.
Wish that there was more imput from Western New York area. There might be an increase in posts once cottages are open and fuctional??
Internet heros give it a rest!

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 08:42 AM »
Maybe it's just because people from NY talk so fast we're out posting everyone else  ;D!  NY leads the way on MHF and IS too.

Seriously though, I don't think NY has the greatest fisheries but I think they're very good and we have some of the most diverse fishing in a relatively small area.  You can go from ocean/coastal fishing to Great Lakes fishing to classic stream fishing without leaving the state.  Take a look around you and try and count how many different species of fish you can/want to catch within a 2-3 hour drive (or however far you're willing to drive) from where you are. 

Also, as bad as many government operations are in NY we do have huge amounts of public access to fishing and hunting areas.  Talk to some of those guys out west or down south and you need a lot of money to lease a piece of river or a section of woods. 
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

butterworm

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 09:08 AM »
i hear what you are saying bobman. i do feel fortunate to be able to fish and hunt the lands that i do without paying for a lease. we do live in a diverse area where you can fish for different species such as ocean/great lakes and stream. but i do feel there are
more ghost people on here that just like to take the info that is posted ,rather than give up some info that may help someone else. as in the past when info is given you have other individuals telling you how wrong you were for giving it and that is the only time you hear from them. they never post any info to help the other angler or hunter.just my 2sense.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:23 AM »
all i know is that from where i live, i can target just about every temperate climate fish availible in north america within a 2.5 hour drive .  Alot of trophy fishing too. tons of it.  I consider myself extremely fortunate to grow up in such an area.  The fact that there is alot of posters also means (like butterworm mentioned) there is a TON of lurkers.  I have probably met as many lurkers as posters...its almost kind of disturbing.

devil-man

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 10:43 AM »
I don't love NY, but it sure is a great place to fish and hunt!

Mentiply

• Crow Point, Lake George
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 11:23 AM »
it would be a great place if they could come down on all the taxes. it seems everytime you turn around they are taxing or raising them for some reason or another.

Couldn't agree with you more.

yoda

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 01:38 PM »
I do alot of fishing in the cape cod area and try to get and give info in the MA. board but boy they are slow.  Post can last for a few days without any response at all.  I must say that there are hand full of you guys that do most of the posting in the NY board and make us look good.  I appreciate it.  You can't beat NYS fishing

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 01:52 PM »
BigRed,
  I too wonder how many lurkers are out there...I personally don't care if people lurk or not, but my question is why lurk?  I mean some people claim computer illiteracy as a reason, but if they are clever enough to find the site chances are they can at least write a sentence or two and give a report or contribute something.  Even if people aren't great fisherman/fisherwomen as some claim, they can still give a report...even if they aren't catching anything that info is still valuable.  It tells us what doesn't work, and that is one variable in the equation to finding what does work.  I don't know I guess my personal opinion is that lurkers should contribute.  Afterall, the internet was developed for the collective exchange of knowledge from which we can all benefit. (at first the internet was just as a means for scientists to easily share data that were working on a DARPA project), but still I find no reason why people can't or don't contribute.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 02:24 PM »
To some I think coming on a site like this is a little intimidating.   Also I seem to see a lot less people posting info, seems that if people post good info on public spots there will be a ton of people there the next day.     I'd like to see people post more, but really it is up to each individual what and how much they want to post.    For me there really is not much I can post.   I mainly fish smaller ponds that could easily be over fished.     When I fish a bigger body of water I post and tell what I did and what I was using.     
     I think why there is so much posting is because like bigred says, there are so many different types of fish to fish for in so many different types of water bodies containing some real trophies.
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

August West

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 05:57 PM »
Speaking of LURKERS, are you out there Jighead?
Sorry I didn't get back to you, I had a family fish dinner with the last of my Bradley Brook Slabs. Skaneatreles coughed up some big Jumbos yesterday in my boat. 8# Laker as well! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 08:35 PM »
AlaskanDreams...more posting doesn't neccesarily make fishing spots more crowded.  If only ONE person posted, you could assume that all of the "Lurkers" in a given area would go there.  If two people post, theoretically the lurkers should be divided between the two fishing spots, three posts and now there are only 1/3 the amount of lurkers at each spot.  My point being that unless there are an infinite number of lurkers, more posting will only help to evenly distribute the lurkers and provide more information so those in the know can make intelligent decisions......more posting = less crowded fishing spots....kind of like more guns = less crime

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 08:36 PM »
just wait till summer comes around and then see were all the posting takes place
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 07:07 AM »
You got a point Synergyboy. The weather has been so lousy that  I've only been out 3 times. (Yeah I posted.) Weather's improving for this weekend and we'll see if the posting picks up. Also additional seasons opening.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

archbishop

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 07:16 AM »
just wait till summer comes around and then see were all the posting takes place

nick are you drunk again ???  your right once the weather gets a little better and turkey season is done and school is out and so on the posts should pick up else where but my point was new york outposts everyone (not just me everyone in NY) ;D i meen there are almost 7,000 posts in NY and the next closest state is maine with under 1,500 or you gotta go to canada to even compare with manitoba at 2,200 and most states have 5 posts with 2 topics but then theres us with this huge number i dont remember what it was on IS but was it the same there as well

my wife made the joke that if any other state had pataki as gov. they would all be out of work and home on the computer too ??? kind of insulting at first then when you think about it i wonder how true it is?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.