FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: rookie walleye fishermen  (Read 1725 times)

phead lakeman

rookie walleye fishermen
« on: May 08, 2005, 07:33 PM »
this weekend will be my first weekend of walleye fishing how should go about it for best results?

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
Re: rookie walleye fishermen
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 09:55 PM »
I've always had my best luck in the evening hours through the night.. I fish with a lighted bobber and a live minnow on top.. And a crawler laying on the bottom on the other pole. Sometimes the bite is real good and other times they could care less for the live bait.. Hope it helps... :-\

fishryc

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 08:08 AM »
this weekend will be my first weekend of walleye fishing how should go about it for best results?
I agree with CarogaKid about night fishing, but techniques will require EXTREME variations depending on the type of water you’re fishing. C-Kid sounds like he’s shore fishing. I only shore fish the Lower Niagara, which has a very swift current. We bounce bottom with assorted lead headed jigs, also only after dark. For open lakes, I fish Oneida, and troll as slow as a 10 HP will go with a spinner/worm harness on the bottom with a 3-way set up and a rapala type diving minnow if the fish are suspended. At this lake, 90% of the time I take them on the bottom. Also at Oneida, I fish the first ½ hour before daylight, up until about 10:00 AM. In good years when the walleye population is at a high, we have limited by 8:00 or 8:30AM with the worm harnesses with 3 out of 4 lines having fish on at times!  Many also go out at night and drift or still fish a crawler with pretty good luck too. Hope this helps- Good luck
 Also, although I’ve never tried, many of the people more familiar with Oneida than myself have spots and techniques  for successful shore fishing. (I think Sylvan Beach area is one)  Anybody wanna help him out with this?
(Don’t forget the hardwater season too; good time to access lakes if you don't have a boat)
Fishryc
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

jighead

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Fishryc, where do you live currently, you have a familiar ring to your stories???

CNYfish

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 05:28 PM »
Hey CarogaKid, just curious as to what type of minnows you use for walleye.  It sounds like an interesting technique, that's the first I've heard of using live minnows under a bobber for walleye.  You fish this setup from shore, or in a boat?

fishryc

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 06:59 AM »
Hey CarogaKid, just curious as to what type of minnows you use for walleye.  It sounds like an interesting technique, that's the first I've heard of using live minnows under a bobber for walleye.  You fish this setup from shore, or in a boat?

I was pondering the same questions. I’ve NEVER taken or seen a walleye taken off a bobber set-up; always on the bottom or suspended near bottom. What type water / situation do you do this in (better yet where!)? Is this a slip bobber where the bait still may be near bottom?
fishryc
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 10:32 AM »
I just use  med shiners.. Or small suckers.. Put them about a foot down in 5 feet of water close to shore... All ya gotta do is sit and wait.. The walleyes love them.. Most of the time anyways.. I've caught my limit in little less than 2hrs some nights using this method.. Good luck let me know how it works for ya..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.