FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trapping chubs  (Read 7026 times)

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
trapping chubs
« on: Jul 16, 2004, 07:00 AM »
Hey guys,  i need some tips to refine my trapping technique.  I only trapped minnows twice before with ok results.  I would get about a dozen in one shot.  I'm just wandering what is the best spot to place your trap?  Head,  tailout or the middle?  What about the depth? I trap in creeks that u can spit across.  Is it better to have the trap totally submerged in 2-3 ft of water or barely covered?   I also noticed that the bread and cat foot i was using for bait will float up to the upper part of the trap,  and baitfish will peck at it from the top.   Is that ok,  or would i get more of them by securing a chunk of bread with something to keep it in the middle of the trap?  By the way,  when do the chub vacate smaller creeks,  Novermber/ December?                                                            J.
GONE FISH'G.......

bayonne

Re: trapping chubs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2004, 08:15 AM »
hey jig i mostly spend a day fishing for them on the delaware they get to biger size and are fun on ultra lite gear use meal worms or garden worms fish in the riffles a get them going 10 in and they make great chunk bait

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2004, 10:38 AM »
Hey Bayonne,  Delaware is out of the question. I live like 90 min away  :(.  Millstone river is more up my alley.   I know i can catch 'em on a #20 hook and  carp dough or worms,  but  I don't know if they can handle that much stress.  I'm mostly looking at bait in 3-6" range for stripers and walleye.  I tried herring for a few years,  but those are hard to keep alive once the water gets up to the 70s. Keep 'em in livewell and they die, because it's too warm.  Keep 'em in a chest cooler with boobler and ice,  and they croak from thermal shock once on the hook.  I refuse to pay for bait anymore and get my own i the summer instead .  I sure can use that money for a six pack and some food instead  ;D
GONE FISH'G.......

bayonne

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2004, 11:53 AM »
bait in a chest you need to acrament them to the lake warter and they will stay lively i keep bait as much as a week and it works fine in a cooler you dont need ice just change warter to remove to amonia once it starts turning stained as for chubs i live more than a hour from the delaware also the trout streams are much smaller in size chubs thier i do best in tail outs with grass but for size and numbers delaware is tops good muskie size they tend to like larger baits ive gotten golden shinners also but they like slower grass locations i use size 12 loose hooks and a tiny spit shot and keep doing drifts like trout fishing them big chubs pull real nice and get smallies at the same time and big sunnies

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2004, 12:28 PM »
I tried keeping my bait for 'next time' and they would all die within two-three days.  I would have an aquarium set up too.  Must be my well water  ::).  Now I freeze my leftovers and use 'em for chum or tippin a jig....Works good too.                 Thanks for the info Bayonne.
GONE FISH'G.......

bayonne

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2004, 01:15 PM »
i think you said the magic word well warter has high mimeral levals what type airater you using i have a 12 volt double line i use the long tubes with suction cups thier like cardbord they pump a lot the warter aculy gets freezing cold from the airator i go tent camping at spruce run the hole week and they keep just change daily but not well warter most wells have a sulfer content im sure that what is killing try stream warter if near by or use a fitering pump for fish tanks

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2004, 01:43 PM »
Well,  i'm gonna go and pick up my trap from the creek tonite.  I wander how much bait i got there????
GONE FISH'G.......

bayonne

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2004, 01:57 PM »
good luck been to hopatcong lately start new job monday been layed off havent had the gas money to go fishing the wife cant complain now hear i come fishys

fastribs85

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2004, 09:15 PM »
well guys good luck and go get them
naked women and beer we got it all in here

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2004, 11:03 AM »
well,  i would like to report that i $uck at trapping  >:(!  I went back to pick up my bait at the creek at the trap was moved sideways across the flow and empty.....what gives?   I could see a ton of nice juicy chub in there but non in my trap!  I'm using a cast net next time,  or a small hook and a float.  I was very disappointed :P
GONE FISH'G.......

bayonne

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2004, 07:43 PM »
no cast nets in fresh warter what  did you use for bait jig and is your net shiny or rusted i know killies in salt and brackish sht away from a shiny net that and smaller bait fish swim back out when they eat thier fill

suskymusky

« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2004, 11:25 PM »
Get a cheap 4' X 4' minnow net and tie it to a pair of old broom sticks or 5 foot pieces of  sanded 1"X 2"s. Once I spot some chubs, I like to set up the net at the bottom of the hole and have a friend chase them into the net by splashing or bouncing a rake off the bottom as he walks downstream.Lift the net together quickly.We take turns driving them.You can also use 2 nets. This works great for stonecatties at night, also. I also look for groups of flat rocks in current.Set the net downstream from them and have a friend lift them.Pick up the net and you will find mudbugs, hellgramites,stonecats and chubs.Be careful you don't keep any dace.They kind of look like a rainbow trout and are protected.Your net will pay for itself in a few trips.Give it a try.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.