FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Plant worms (White worms)  (Read 5855 times)

suskymusky

Plant worms (White worms)
« on: Mar 21, 2004, 06:24 AM »
Anybody ever try these for bait?I ran out of bait a few years back and started digging for worms by the river bank.I found only a couple of tiny redworms, but I found these large white and green worms.They smell horrible and don't look so great , but they work better than redworms.In an hour I caught four different kinds of fish on them: Carp, Walleye, Channel cat and Smallmouth.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

broken rod

• CPR
Re: Plant worms (White worms)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2004, 11:48 AM »
ill have to give that a try ;D
tight lines, chuck

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:32 AM »
SM,

Can't say as I have ever run across them before. (And I "grew up", up to my ears in mud and dirt, in a "country boy's" playground).

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Bigfish57

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2004, 06:30 PM »
sounds like june bug Larva to me......big fat white grubs.
Anthony

reelcharacter

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2004, 11:55 PM »
In the course of landscaping and digging in the dirt, I have come across "grubs in the grass"; either larva of the June Bug, Japanese Beetle or other flying critters. These grubs will be white or off white, have a semi-curved shape and have a blackened head. I have used the grubs some for fishing, but the hectic Landscaping season keeps me too busy to wet too many lines. I would think these grubs could be dynamite bait for Panfish, Trout and etc.

In May and June here in Central New York, the adult June bugs will be seen in sometimes large numbers swarming around tree canopies in the evening. I tried a couple of the beetles once, but with no success. Has anyone ever used the beetles for fishing?

-Reelcharacter

Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

suskymusky

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2004, 10:22 PM »
I'm talking about a species of worm, not grubs.They have the shape and segments of a nightwalker,but have blunt ends and are whitish or greenish and smell  real bad.I find their tunnels in the mud by the river in the summer near the waterline .Then I get a stick or something and dig for them.I usually only find them in the morning.I've tried  japanese beetle grubs before but I never had much luck.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2004, 07:28 PM »
I have never heard of such a worm although they remind me of a really bad joke I heard once...I'm not gonna post it...You'll just have to use your imaginations....WK  ;D
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

peple of the perch

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2004, 07:35 PM »
ive seen one of these before i think. can u post a pic of these worms maby it is a new species of worm u never know

reelcharacter

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2004, 12:27 AM »
Think I  may have run across one of these worms (didn't care to smell) while edging sod on a landscape job today. Next time I will take a jar along with me. Found a fair number of white june bug / japanese bettle larva in the lawn as well.

Bad for lawn, good for fish . . .   :)

-Reelcharacter

peple of the perch

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2004, 08:11 PM »
it is problabbly the strong smell that makes it such a good bait

suskymusky

suskymusky

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2004, 12:33 AM »
Here are some I dug up on Sunday.See how they coil up when you touch them?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.