FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Winter Flounder  (Read 6995 times)

Roccus

Re: Winter Flounder
« Reply #30 on: Jun 23, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I'm catching them in my lobster traps.

Knot there yet

« Reply #31 on: Jun 24, 2019, 10:39 PM »
Got couple today but couldn’t get bait passed the schoolies on the drop. Broke long pole (trolling fly rod) had some fun with schoolies. Waiting the arrival of pogies is killing me.

Roccus

« Reply #32 on: Jun 25, 2019, 06:14 AM »
Got couple today but couldn’t get bait passed the schoolies on the drop. Broke long pole (trolling fly rod) had some fun with schoolies. Waiting the arrival of pogies is killing me.
Pogies boats already working hard around plum island,  I've seen a few schools of pogies, but not lime last year but mackerel are as thick as sand fleas the last 5 dsys.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #33 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:02 AM »
Pogies boats already working hard around plum island,  I've seen a few schools of pogies, but not lime last year but mackerel are as thick as sand fleas the last 5 dsys.

Are the mackerel all small or do any of them have enough size to hit the smoker Joe? Its a 2 hour tow but I am looking for some edible mackerel.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #34 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Are the mackerel all small or do any of them have enough size to hit the smoker Joe? Its a 2 hour tow but I am looking for some edible mackerel.

all mixed mike, depends on the school, it changed day to day as well, I heard guys saying they got all tinkers.....mine were all medium to large with just a few tinkers.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #35 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:47 AM »
If I come into some edible size ones I'll let you know. I fish for them almost every weekend at the east end weather permitting and it had been really slow with most of them tinker's. Every once in a while I'll get a couple dozen edible size ones.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #36 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:59 AM »
Thanks Joe and T.

My old man has been hounding me to get some fresh mackerel. I cannot get myself to buy it from a fish store. We hot smoke them and then eat them on a piece of fresh rye bread with a tad bit of butter spread.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #37 on: Jun 25, 2019, 02:48 PM »
If I come into some edible size ones I'll let you know. I fish for them almost every weekend at the east end weather permitting and it had been really slow with most of them tinker's. Every once in a while I'll get a couple dozen edible size ones.

You live lining them in the canal?  Things are hard to keep alive but using them is almost like cheating.  Although it is googan central, jigging them off of the fishing pier is quite productive.  Once you hook a striper on the pier the madness ensues.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #38 on: Jun 25, 2019, 05:37 PM »
You live lining them in the canal?  Things are hard to keep alive but using them is almost like cheating.  Although it is googan central, jigging them off of the fishing pier is quite productive.  Once you hook a striper on the pier the madness ensues.
We live lined them in the rip at the east end in my boat with no luck. I dont use them from shore in the canal they work but in my experience the time they do work artificials will work at the same time. I also will never set foot on that pier its not my style of fishing and it only takes one bad apple there. They stay alive really good in a live well.

Roccus

« Reply #39 on: Jun 25, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Thanks Joe and T.

My old man has been hounding me to get some fresh mackerel. I cannot get myself to buy it from a fish store. We hot smoke them and then eat them on a piece of fresh rye bread with a tad bit of butter spread.

Weather conditions permitting, I'll be getting some for bait Saturday,  then shuffling lobster pots and fishing for flounder. ..the local ramp is close to my marina, but most likely will be a zoo..I'd tell you to come in my boat, but if I move 4 or five traps, I run out of room fast.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #40 on: Jun 27, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Weather conditions permitting, I'll be getting some for bait Saturday,  then shuffling lobster pots and fishing for flounder. ..the local ramp is close to my marina, but most likely will be a zoo..I'd tell you to come in my boat, but if I move 4 or five traps, I run out of room fast.

Understood Joe. I appreciate it one way or another.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #41 on: Jun 27, 2019, 12:21 PM »
Understood Joe. I appreciate it one way or another.

I was going to try moving pots last night,  but the relentless east wind and fog kept me inside,the aforementioned conditions not good on a dropping tide. .

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #42 on: Jun 27, 2019, 02:09 PM »
I was going to try moving pots last night,  but the relentless east wind and fog kept me inside,the aforementioned conditions not good on a dropping tide. .

If I could find a place to stay close to you where we can do a 2 day trip, I would tow my boat up there and you could jump on with me. Always an option Joe.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #43 on: Jun 27, 2019, 02:20 PM »
If I could find a place to stay close to you where we can do a 2 day trip, I would tow my boat up there and you could jump on with me. Always an option Joe.
Jumping in with you does no good,
I have a pot hauler, and all the "secret" spots on my GPS... if I'm not moving traps I've got plenty of room..

I'm pulling the boat Saturday and bringing it to Maine with me next week...

lowaccord66

« Reply #44 on: Jun 27, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Jumping in with you does no good,
I have a pot hauler, and all the "secret" spots on my GPS... if I'm not moving traps I've got plenty of room..

I'm pulling the boat Saturday and bringing it to Maine with me next week...

I will also be in Maine.  Where are you staying?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.