FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: COD  (Read 3767 times)

mudchuck

COD
« on: Jun 14, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Totally bummed that cod is closed, especially since I've made the trip down from NW VT several years now and go out with a small party to Jeffery's Ledge and every year we catch tons of 4-10# cod, consistently - only to throw them back, and now the haddock is tighter on limits per person...making it so it's not worth me coming anymore...
Really wish ME would reconsider the cod to at least allow 1 per person May to August...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: COD
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2018, 01:18 PM »
There is fishing and then there is eating fish. If the fishing is good and you love it go fishing and then pick up some Cod or Haddock on your way home.
Wicked Wec

woodchip1

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2018, 05:29 PM »
I use to go out every summer and jig a tub of cod for my freezer. But they let the Draggers kill off the cod and punish the hand line fishermen.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2018, 10:03 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any positive signs that cod may be coming back or will come back now that the pressure is down? Or is it too soon to tell?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

swnoel

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2018, 06:06 AM »
It's sad this was allowed to happen... money controls everything. Commercial cod fishing should be banned within 20 miles of shore.

fishcaptain1

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Again it isn’t the commercial guys fault if you are to put blame on anyone do it to nmfs they created this problem and can’t figure out what to do. Everything was great till they put a quota system into the mix and let the big boat come in here and they just had a field day before that there was plenty of cod to go around. The commercial guys are only trying to make a living like the rest of us and going by what the government will allow them to do it isn’t there fault look higher up than them

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2018, 07:25 AM »
NMF? National Marine Fisheries? Looked on the Internet didn't find it.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JDK

« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2018, 07:31 AM »
NMF? National Marine Fisheries? Looked on the Internet didn't find it.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/topic/commercial-fishing

New England Fishery Management Council

https://www.nefmc.org/
# SAND

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2018, 08:05 AM »
There is a lot of data to suggest that small boat systems of hook and line are a lot more sustainable than big draggers, but the draggers are backed by more money which fights in the court... but i suspect as things keep going that probably most large drag net fishing will slowly
begin to fade.

JDK

« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2018, 08:24 AM »
I'm sure that the 100s of boats fishing the Whaleback during the spawning season had no impact either.... 8)
# SAND

mudchuck

« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2018, 08:42 AM »
My point is that we spends thousand to book a trip every year, including the travel costs, rooms, meals, fuel etc... and go out there and spend a day getting great arm exercise by bring up dozens upon dozens of cod from 300 FOW only to have to release them.

Seriously, I enjoy it don't get me wrong, but there's something wrong with not allowing people to hook/line catch & keep at least 1 on a trip like this...

On average we have 10 people on the boat, and all bring at least 8-10 over the rails every trip, sometimes many many more, and all go back...add insult to injury, we have some that go back that don't get back down fast enough and sharks takes them out!

Some trips the boat limits out on haddock, some trips we get close to limit...but not always...had some trips where we were skunked on legal keeper haddock/pollock and caught nothing but cod! It really would be nice to bring home one fresh caught cod too.
Really beginning to think the trip is becoming a waste of time & money and perhaps should look elsewhere for a trip with more tangible return on the investment.

Think about how much money we put into this every year only to not be allowed to have some cod brought home...been this way for a little while now and not looking like NMFS gives a rip about me or others that spend the cash doing this, perhaps Maine doesn't either???

What will happen if I decide to go to southern NE, say RI, and take my money there instead??? ME/NH doesn't benefit and the loss of a few vacationers like me might not drawn attention but what if more than just a few do this...time for the states and NMFS to wake up and see the impact they've created by shutting down a viable and healthy fishery for political reasons...

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2018, 11:48 AM »

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2018, 11:52 AM »
What's the survival rate of cod that come up from 300 feet of water? Hopefully they have a physotstomus connection between the stomach and swim bladder or they are goners so you might as well keep them.

Some species do. Just don't know if Cod do. My knowledge of saltwater fish isn't very good here in Indiana.  ;D

woodchip1

« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2018, 12:45 PM »
They should and probably  will put a law through that will not allow Cod to Bite on baited hooks!!!!!!!!!!

fishless12

« Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2018, 01:47 AM »
Haddock fishing is off the hook lately. And the cod fishing is better than it has been in the last 5 years or so. Easy to sell doom and gloom when you're on shore! The TAC for cod was actually increased this year, just not enough to allow rec anglers to keep cod. These guys went home with limits of haddock (12 per person), plus a couple bonus pollock. I've lost a lot of business due to the cod closure, especially with locals early in the season. I'd love to see a conservative bag limit put in place (maybe even a slot limit) and I'm confident in the next few years we'll see that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.