FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone Interested in Collectible Bamboo Fly Rods??  (Read 4018 times)

wall_eyez

• Looking for Walter Walleye!
Anyone Interested in Collectible Bamboo Fly Rods??
« on: Mar 09, 2004, 12:42 PM »
Howdy Everyone!  ;)

I recently inherited a couple of old Fly Rods from my father who passed last year. I could not decide what to do with them, but hearing that they might be worth some money, I decided not to use them, and bought a whole new outfit last year, which I only got to use twice (I need some schooling on fly fishing ;) )

Anyway, one of these poles is a two piece, marked "Orvis Impregnated" "Superfine"  7 1/2'-3 1/4oz, along with the Initials H.D.Y (6). It is in Immaculate condition, and comes in original cloth sheeth and aluminum storage tube.

The other pole looks like an Import from Norway. It is a heavier pole with the following markings: Thompson K 21-Florigard-8'-Made in Norway. This one needs a little repair, but the bamboo itself is again, in immaculate condition.  I know there are guys that collect these, and from the looks of prices on new poles at Cabelas, I can just imagine what these might be worth. Anyone with any information at all, please respond. Also, if you wish to make an offer, please do so in a Private Message. I can supply pictures upon request, and inspection of the poles if your serious about buying them. I also have an Old Orvis Medalist Reel to go with one of the rods, if you like.

Any replies are welcome!

Tight Lines!

Lou D.
If I'm not online, I'm out fishin!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Anyone Interested in Collectible Bamboo Fly Rods??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2004, 05:54 PM »
You inherited them from your father and you're going to turn them into a few bucks ???

Keep them!

Build a nice shadow box for your wall and display them. Find out where they came from. Enjoy the family history behind these gifts. Don't sell your heritage.
RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

shark

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2004, 05:59 PM »
Exactly.

Shark

g3

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2004, 06:43 PM »
oh what oi would give to have something like that from my dad,certainly not to sell it because"iheard they might be worth something" pretty pathetic if you ask me.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:21 PM »
I don't anyone to start bashing wall-eyez...It was just my suggestion.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:37 PM »
I have two of them.  Problem is I really don't know how much to appraise them??  Do any of you have a clue?  One is a Japanese model, (which I'm sure isn't worth a nickle) and another one that is a hand me down that came from a Colorado flyrod company.  Can get the name if anyone can tell me how much to appraise it at for insurance purposes?  Don't worry RGfixit, it's on the wall of my den and will be passed down to my son. ;D -barleydog

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:00 AM »
The problem with appraisals by collectors is that they almost always have their eye on acquiring the item they're appraising.

I have a couple of Bamboo's myself  One is an old South bend #59 in near perfect condition. (I use it occasionally)

I took it to a couple of local dealers and  was told it wasn't worth much. In $$$'s anyway.

After researching it on the internet I found it was  probably worth $800 or more depending on the collector.

One thing is for sure, no one could appraise it without first seeing it.

RG

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:58 AM »
I can't give you an exact estimate...as rg says you have to see it to appraise it. However...The Thompson is probably a nice rod to repair and use on occasion. Go and find a nice trout stream and have some fun. I haven't come across too many of those and I don't know if they have very much value to a collector, but the sentimental value would be huge. The Orvis, if it is in "immaculate condition" as you say, is probably worth $1000 to $1500. Have a display case built and hang that one up with a nice photo of your dad...whatever you do, don't sell it. You'll never be able to replace it and you will regret letting it get away.
FTD

Cider

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:16 AM »
Those rods are probably worth a small fortune.  Any Orvis dealer could appraise them for you.  I have inherited a few Orvis split bamboo rods in the past.  The dollar value couldn't even begin to outweigh the sentimental and functional value.

My advice: keep them and use them!  A lot of people are afraid to use the bamboo rods, but if you take care of them they will give you years of pleasure and you can pass them on to your kids/grandkids!

wall_eyez

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:55 AM »
Ok...
I understand what everyone is saying, and yes, they are beautiful rods, but I already have alot of things from my father that I cherish, including some other fishing stuff, a sailboat, etc. I don't need to keep everything, and since I purchased a brand new fly fishing outfit last year, I would never use these for fear of them being damaged, even in the slightest way. I am considering only selling one and keeping the other, so in that respect, I feel OK with it.

I understand what everyone is saying, and being that you are not in my shoes, please try not to judge me too harshly about this. I simply feel that someone who DOES collect these items would appreciate them much more than I do, thats all.

Anyway, if someone knows of anyone who collects these or could appraise them, I would be grateful to hear from you.  I am also keeping some of the flies that he tied himself when I was a young boy, as well as his creel and net. I am also keeping an aluminum rod which is really a cool item, I haven't seen one of these before either.

Lou D.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Well said Lou,
As you can tell, we're all very passionate about our sport and the heritage associated with it.

Sounds like your Dad's generosity has you well stocked with memorabilia.

I'm sure you can find collectors online through a flyfishers site like;
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Good luck and sorry if we sounded a bit harsh.

RG

wall_eyez

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:42 PM »
RG,
No need to worry about that, I have been on internet boards for years, and have dealt with a lot worse, especially when you get into Political topics.
Things can get really heated. I've learned to let it roll off my back, like water on a ducks back.

I would love to take some pictures of these just to show them off, they are beautiful rods.

One thing I would really like to see happen on this board is the formation of Classes of some sort for begginer Fly Fisherman in my area. I live very close to the Lehigh River in Pennsylvania, which has become a World Class Trophy Trout water. I will hopefully be able to contribute some to the board on that particular River, as well as the Delaware. I have gotten tired of Lake fishing in recent years, just seems like there is incredible pressure on some of our PA Lakes in the Northeast.

Anyway, thanks for the advice evryone. If you want me to post some pics, let me know.

Tight Lines!

Lou D. :)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:09 PM »
Wall-eyez,
Start a topic in the Fly Fishing forum.
Here's the link;
http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?board=140.0

RG

Cider

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:28 PM »
Lou - I certainly didn't mean to sound harsh either.  I just get all worked up and frothy when it comes to flyrods.  Especially Orvis split bamboo rods.  I would have a housefull of them if it weren't for the other half!  I just can't let them go.

I also understand about keeping too much stuff though.  My wife's family recently went through three estates and believe me we are up to our ears in heirlooms.   >:(  I keep asking her to pick out the more cherished items and pass along the other stuff to people who will treasure it and get some use out of it.

Guess flyrods are my hang up!  ;D

Original FISHER Jodoin

« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2005, 09:21 PM »
not a fly isherman..
GIT _ R _ DONE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.