FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: PLaner boards  (Read 5025 times)

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
PLaner boards
« on: Mar 22, 2008, 12:22 PM »
any info on planer boards would be appreciated what kinds prices tips on use ect ect ect ect ect ect. thanks

khaaxma

Re: PLaner boards
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2008, 01:08 PM »
I sometimes use either in-line planer boards or a mast and otter boats. The majority of the time I can be successful just long-lining behind the boat. I seem to have a natural aversion to having anything between my reel and my terminal tackle. My fishing partner will more often use an in-line planer board and the bottom line is that sometimes he catches more fish . . . but only sometimes! We do much of our walleye fishing at sunset and in the dark and the boards can be a real pain in the but when there are alot of boats our fishing.
I am blessed to live in a location where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2008, 12:57 PM »
here you go. the orange ones are cannons, and no longer made. i would buy the church or offshore set. ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Keith Walters

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2008, 08:33 PM »
I use Offshore inline boards with tattle flags and have good success with them for walleyes that are suspended from five to twenty feet or for walleyes that are in shallow water ( 2 ft to 8 ft).  The boards let you get out  to the side of the boat and spread your baits over a wider area - part of which has not just had a noisy boat pass over head.  I use Diawa line counter reels with the clicker on and set the drag very light so the fish can pull the board back when they hit.  This makes the clicker scream and the heart race.  There is a  theory that some of the fish move to the sides of the boat as it passes by out to say 20 feet.  These fish along with the fish that are already out at 20 feet to the side combine to make a higher density of fish right in the path of you planer board and lures.  The best way to learn planer boards is to go with someone that is on planer board fish.  They can be a lot of fun and most of the time out produce the lined directly behind the boat.  Good luck.

Keith Walters (Nebraska)

Quack_Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2008, 09:42 AM »
For up to 4 rods I like to use the Offshore in-line boards, these run in the $25 per board range, you can add accessories like the tattle-tale flags or other releases that add considerably to the price.

For more rods I prefer the tethered boards with a mast these may be purchased or ya can make a set fairly cheap. But these tend to be more costly than the in-lines. You will also need a bunch of releases with this set-up that also can be homemade or bought.

If ya just need something to get the lures away from the boat ya can use yellow birds or other cheaper in-lines they'll get the job done although some of these boards are not as efficient in rougher water.
"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

www.muck-boy.com

http://www.refugepics.com/members/Quack_Attack/index.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.