FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Totaly Stumped  (Read 4255 times)

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Totaly Stumped
« on: Jul 12, 2009, 07:48 AM »
Well here is the scenario we have encountered. This lake we fish has a good population of Eye's in fact this past spring we managed some real nice fish most around the 5 lb mark with the biggest weighing in at 7 1/2 lbs.  Early fish came in around 3 fow well into the night. Now we have hit a wall hooking up with any fish on this lake. We tried Jigging weeds, open water slopes, trolling sticks and harnesses vert jigging blades and spoons. This lake we tried all diffrent speeds and presentations fishing the windy side and calm side. All in all what we are doing works on other lakes as we have moved to diffrent bodies of water and using the same presentations we hook up regularly.
 What I am asking is what ya think we might be doing or not doing to make these fish strike. Whats your secrets for hard time fishing.  My head has been spinning trying to figure these fish out. Changing lakes isn't a option as hard headed as I get I will fish this lake time and time again till something happens.
Did you put the plug in the boat?

Crappie Catcher

Re: Totaly Stumped
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2009, 12:22 AM »
Have you gone back to the ol' slip bobber in minnow technique?
If I'm not fishing, I'm hunting if I am not hunting, I'm trapping If I am not doing one of the above, I am wasting my time it is not a passion it is an obsession.

BBK

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2009, 02:55 PM »
Or slip bobber and leech?

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2009, 04:03 PM »
Good point to both of you forgot about that setup. Although in this neck of the woods its near impossible to find either baits but might just be worth the effort looking for both. Thanks

BBK

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Have you tried the old fashioned jighead and crawler? They might be staging down deep.

sperrin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2009, 04:58 PM »
You sound alot like me....I live 2 miles from a lake that has a great fish population of Walleye but at times its near impossible to get them to bite. I know there in there.

We have the best luck with night crawlers & minnows for the most part, but leeches are great also. Virticle jiggin with a plain old jig head (smaller the better) tipped with any of those baits has worked best for me.

So has trolling with bottom bouncers in about 15' of water this time of year.

Hope you figure it out.....
Stevo
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Well Vertical jigging is a part of what I do half the time. I have tried the jig and worm and waisted money on fatheads that got dumped at the end of the day or night because of NY's baitlaws. As I stated I workerd the weed edges which is about 12 ft of water out to the basin with harnesses and also at times a assorted bunch of stick baits with hardly a tap. l also tried all diffrent speeds from just about .8 MPH to 2 mph also Lazy S trolling with the boat also ran harnesses into and above the weeds with side planers and little to no weight. I wont give up on this certian lake as she has rewarded us this past spring with some awsome fish for a little body of water. And as Steve stated I know their are some big fish and plentyfull numbers wise in that lake.

combsey going to catchem

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2009, 07:45 PM »
there's a smaller lake near me that i fish for eye's at and  i'm having good luck in 15 ft of water with a crawler spinner combo with a sliding sinker about 2 ft up of the end of the weeds in the early morning till about 10 then the bite picks up around 5 or so         good luck

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2009, 10:18 PM »
rattle traps or rattlin raps.....no kidding!!

I have a lake in my neighborhood that shuts down in the summer, it locks up tite. There have been times that they will crush rattlin raps during this funk. They are where you think they are, you just need to give them something a little more "redneck". ;D

I find this pattern on muddy and stained, or alge bloomed waters.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2009, 12:07 AM »
5 to 7 1/2 lbs, those are large walleye! What is the baitfish in that lake or Res. Sounds like alewives! They might be suspended eating them out deeper! Those big ones got that way from being smart in the summer and winter, they only slip up a little in spring/fall! Sounds like me this spring, had no problem in May, then fell into a slump in June when they went deep, now there hitting again for me in July! These eyes have me stumped from time to time too as I'm realitively new to them! GOOD LUCK, I'm hard headed too!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.