FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: your go to lure for eyes  (Read 22952 times)

grumpymoe

your go to lure for eyes
« on: Jun 19, 2004, 07:07 PM »
of all the tricks in the bag for getting walleye to hit....slow days...or hot days...i have found the rapala tail dancer and shad rap to be about the best presentation for a reaction strike.......lets here what everyone else has to say......grump

Jigwiggler

Re: your go to lure for eyes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2004, 11:56 AM »
Crankbaits can be very productive at times but most of my walleyes come on jigs regardless of conditions.  When its really hot and I'm fishing the midday bite, I usually can find eyes in deep water or tucked back in the weeds up shallow.  In both cases I'll throw a jig first most of the time.

I just saw these today, anybody ever use them?

http://www.reelbait.com/products.php?child=181

May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2004, 12:37 PM »
I too like jigs. I prefer a carolina rigged curly tail grub.
For crankbaits, I like crawfish cranks, lipless cranks like cordell super spots, or rapala tail-dancers.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Crankbaits can be very productive at times but most of my walleyes come on jigs regardless of conditions.  When its really hot and I'm fishing the midday bite, I usually can find eyes in deep water or tucked back in the weeds up shallow.  In both cases I'll throw a jig first most of the time.
I just saw these today, anybody ever use them?
http://www.reelbait.com/prod_list.php?parent=507&prod=508
Nope, but they sure do look good.  ;D I use just plain jane round jigheads, they've always worked for me.  :D But they are still nice looking jigheads.
I like using shad raps, thundersticks, and husky jerks too.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2004, 12:46 PM »
Camo,  I use mostly plain roud jig heads myself.  I saw these today and thought they might work when the bite is off and they want a little something extra.

Where's Slipbob, he's got quite a walleye arsenal.  Slipbob, what's your choice when the going gets tough and have you ever used the jigs in the link I posted above?

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2004, 01:21 PM »
I've used certain jigheads that are less likely to snag up than others, but I forget the name of them. Oh yeah, by the way, that link doesn't work for me or I would comment too.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2004, 01:31 PM »
I've used certain jigheads that are less likely to snag up than others, but I forget the name of them. Oh yeah, by the way, that link doesn't work for me or I would comment too.

TFB, Try it now I changed it, the original link I posted isn't working for me either now.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2004, 01:37 PM »
No, I have never used those jigheads. Seems to me that they would snag up a lot in rocky areas, which is where I like to fish jigs most for walleyes.

bayonne

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2004, 01:51 PM »
i like the way those jigs look and the 3/4 oz looks good for light salt with a fines for stripers and weakies or red fish

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2004, 08:47 PM »
That is a tough one, but my four most productive lures are Cordell Super Spots, three inch curly tail grubs rigged on Lindy's No Snagg Timber Rock Jigs, Rapala Tail Dancers, and Rebel Wee Crawfish. The most versatile and reliable is probably the jig and grub.

Tyler

fozsey

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2004, 05:56 AM »
Depending on he time of year...jig and a minnow and a jig and a 3" twister tail. They're not a catch all, but if that doesn't work I might as well be sipping a cold one reading the paper.

Esox

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2004, 02:39 PM »
I have not used those, but these made by Mepps work well. Similar idea....

They work great for smallmouth too...

Cider

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2004, 03:33 PM »
I have not used those, but these made by Mepps work well. Similar idea....

Esox - is that what Mepps is calling a Walleye Killer these days??  I have a few Mepps Walleye Killers that look similar to the Erie Dearies and I can't find them on Mepps website anymore.  Do they not make them anymore?  What is Mepps calling the lure you posted?  I'd like to get a bunch.  They look really productive!

Esox

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2004, 07:36 PM »
They don't make the walleye killers anymore...not for a few years. The lure I posted in called a Spinflex. It has a brass head so you should be ok to use in NH. They make them with both plain single hooks and bucktails with a dual hook. I've used them for a couple of years (came out in 2003..I think  ::) ) and they have worked well for me. I use the scented Mister Twister Exude curly tails with it of course.  ;)

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2004, 09:25 AM »
For tough eyes, Black 1/32oz jig tipped with half a crawler. Other colors orange, chartruce green, white. I use a jig small as I can get away with.

To find schools of fish on big water I troll raps and thundersticks on planer boards,  we have caught eyes at speeds up to 3.5mph, you can cover lots of ground. Otherwise trolling crawler harnesses with a bottom bouncers is very effective to.

-Scott

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.