FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring walleye help  (Read 19714 times)

TheDL

Spring walleye help
« on: Mar 30, 2011, 10:29 AM »
I am fairly new to Walleye fishing - done the bass thing to death (still love it) - but I enjoy a challenge and so far, walleye has been challenging ???.  Got completly skunked trolling bay of quinte in the fall, picked up a few good ones vertical jiggin on the ice - but the spring is coming, and I am looking for techniques and especially help with walleye  ???patterns.

Let's hear your spring walleye tips - where are you finding 'em?  Where rivers run into bay/lake?  Deep/shallow?  Time of day?  Bottom bouncers? Spinners?  Stick baits?  Bait?

???
tight lines....

slipperybob

Re: Spring walleye help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2011, 05:43 PM »
I don't have any special techniques for walleyes.  I just get close to the dam or hit some wingdams.  Next maybe some sandbars or gravel bars.  Usually just lazy lindy rigs or slipbobber rigs.  Do the typical jig and minnow when I feel like it.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

TheDL

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2011, 01:33 PM »
thanks slippery bob - looks like I've got some learning to do - never tried lindy rigs before, looks like a good tactic tho.  Do you just use lindy rigged worm/leech or are you attaching a lure to that kind of rig?
tight lines....

MattR

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2011, 10:51 PM »
When river fishing for Walleyes, the wolf river rig is my favorite. Just do a google search on the text I made in bold and you will get instructions on making your own. Simple and fairly cheap to make a few.

Matt

TheDL

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2011, 10:25 AM »
thanks Matt - I'll give that a try.  I think I'm going to take some to time before the May7th opener and try to make some home made rigs.  I'm thinking worm harnesses, "wolf river rigs" and some lindy rigs and such.  I've never used any of these - anyone got some tips?

One question about bottom bouncing  - 3 way seems obvious but with the "lindy rig" style weight ( i.e. http://www.cabelas.com/bottom-bouncers-walking-sinkers-lindy-snagg-sinkers-2.shtml) how do you control how far up from the weight/bottom your lure/bait will ride?  It looks like the line threads through the top, and seems like the lure/bait would just pull towards the eye on the weight untill the two were right next to each other? Am I missing something?
tight lines....

slipperybob

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2011, 11:26 AM »
You just snell a line to a swivel so that the bait isn't pulled right up to the sinker.

Nothing special for bait, either leech, worm, or minnow.

TheDL

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2011, 11:33 AM »
snell a line to a swivel?  Do you mean tie a swivel in the line between the weight and the lure/bait -  to stop the slip weight and lure/bait coming together? 
tight lines....

slipperybob

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Yeap, just tie a swivel into theire.  Typically I drop one line test for the snell/leader line.  Just in case the hook snags so I don't lose the whole rig.  Although it's usually the sinker that snags.

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2011, 08:47 PM »
I usually fish dropoffs near creekmouths or off points with rocky bottoms in spring. Alot of fish hang in these areas to fatten up and or rest after the spawn. I catch most of my eyes at night during the spring on rapalas in the shallows. Bucktail jigs tipped with a peice of crawler works as well. Tite lines
Nice job findin em

TheDL

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2011, 09:56 AM »
thanks deadeyez - can't wait to get some spring 'eyes!!
tight lines....

walleyeslayer1978

• Fish Fear Me
« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2011, 09:44 PM »
Try slip bobbers with small jig and leech combo. At the lake I fish, the walleye are very lethargic when the ice first comes off.  This seems to be a subtle enough presentation to get them to bite.

eyehi

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2011, 10:19 PM »
I recomend fishing where the river or stream emptys into a resevoir. fish usually gather here after spawning before heading to deeper water. I normally run 1 or 2 ounce bottom bouncers  (depending on depth) with a 2 hook worm harness trolling at 1.5 mph. remember presentation is key with walleye. I sometimes retie a harness after buying. I use 3 foot # 10 flourocarbon and a swivel to prevent twist.
Budweiser pro staff

TheDL

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2011, 12:19 PM »
nice - thanks for the tips guys.  I've ordered some bottom walking weights, and a northland walleye kit filled with float bodys, beads, nice blades and hooks.  when it arrives, I'll post some pics of my homemade rigs.

anyone got any tips for tying up these rigs?
tight lines....

Ice Dawg

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:15 PM »
nice - thanks for the tips guys.  I've ordered some bottom walking weights, and a northland walleye kit filled with float bodys, beads, nice blades and hooks.  when it arrives, I'll post some pics of my homemade rigs.

anyone got any tips for tying up these rigs?
Put a drop of water on your knots when tying them and pull slowly on the tag end to snug them up. This will keep from burning the mono when you pull the knots tight.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

TheDL

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:25 PM »
ice dawg  - thanks - all good info.  I was going to use 14# flouro for the tying, unless mono is better for this purpose?  I believe the northland kit comes with mono...but i like fouro for it's no strectch/lo-vis qualities
tight lines....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.